A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quilt/Coverlet ideas  (Read 2173 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anwa
« on: February 19, 2004 01:36:20 PM »

I'm currently making a yo-yo quilt. I love how easy and portable this quilt is and want to find other innovative ways to make a quilt similar to this. Anyone have any ideas?

When I search online I really only see different color schemes and the tradtional quilt block styles. I have two nieces and a new one on the way and I'd love to make each a quilt.

My birthday is coming up and I'm thinking of asking for a sewing machine Tongue Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
miss_mom

Keeping my head above water .... barely!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004 07:01:14 AM »

anwa, I have a yo-yo quilt that my grandmother made (we also call it a rosebud quilt)- it is made in 8 inch blocks, with approx. 3" borders inbetween the blocks. It also has a type of pillow sham - the kind you just lay across your bed pillows. The only material she purchased for it was for the borders - everything else was made from scraps. She could look at it and tell you that this fabric was from a dress she made for my cousin's wedding, this piece was from an old apron, etc. It's a wonderful memory quilt for me!

In terms of being portable, you could make a crazy quilt in blocks - also, maybe make a quilt from pieces of your nieces and nephews baby clothes as they outgrow them. I have clothes from my mom and kids that I will (someday!) make into baby quilts for my future grandchildren!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  - Thomas Edison
anwa
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004 10:02:33 AM »

The scraps of outgrown clothes is a good idea... I also have some clothes I bought for them which were the wrong size! I could use them..

Hmm.. I did get a fat quarter book the other day and it had some really cute quilts.. Maybe I will have to get that sewing machine Wink

I simply can't wait to finish my first one which is blues and yellows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whatever's Clever! - prints, boxes and more!
Help support a starving student who is addicted to crafting!
http://whateversclever.etsy.com
knittykat
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004 12:10:13 PM »

Making quilts from scraps is both frugal (and it cleans out your stash!) and wonderful in terms of memories and love.

I made a baby quilt (I don't have a baby, but I expect I will someday).  It has white fabric and 4 different colors of prints.  2 fabrics are from my grandmother's attic (I made my first apron and one of my first few dresses from the rest of the fabric), 1 is from the first dress I ever made, and 1 is from the apron I made for my best friend.  It is the first quilt I made and although it is not perfect you can tell it was quilted with love.

I love to look at my quilts and go "Oh, that was from my first quilt, that was from the living room curtains, that was from a dress, that was from a purse...."

Cheers,
Kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah Dixon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004 09:12:21 AM »

Hi, I 've done a quilt using large squares which I then sewed on cartoon characters (it was for my sons room).  Each of the squares could be carried around with me really easily.  I used felt for the characters.  When the 4 rectangles were finished I then sewed them together, and made them into a quilt wallhanging.

http://www.ddixon.force9.co.uk/pooh%20wallhanging%20small.jpg

It works best for childrens quilts

sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Do megapixels really matter on digital cameras?
How to Photograph Running Water
How to Photograph Landscapes
Photographing a Common Toad
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...