A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Reusable, double-sided fleece swiffer sweeper pads  (Read 2648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

newyorkdoll
« on: February 16, 2009 02:10:12 PM »

Leftover scraps of fleece + unemployment + greenmindedness = 15 reusable and double sided swiffer sweeper pads!

I had some leftover fleece from making kennel blankets for the animal shelter I volunteer at (I've gotta keep myself busy in between sending out millions of resumes and my unpaid internship), and I have limited funds (ahem, still being supported by my parents, lots of savings bonds for my student loan payments, and random ebay sellings. I've got a Bachelors degree, a publication in a medical journal, and a few years of research experiance at one of the best hospitals in the country. Grr. Anyway.)

Fleece always attracts dust and pet hair, and since my cat sheds like it's his job, and my NYC pre-war apt is majorly dusty, it's perfect. Making them was really simple. I just cut rectangles of fleece the size of the swiffer, sewed 1 inch straps on both sides, repeat 15 times, and save money and waste!

Nothing too fancy, but very functional!

Note the Quality Control Cat in the background on the right. He's kind of afraid of the Swiffer.

I can turn them inside out and use both sides. When I'm done with one, I put them in a plastic bag in my linen closet, and when they're all dirty, I wash them all together in the washing machine (with cold water and Seventh Generation non-oil based detergent of course. Smiley )

Works wonderfully!

My spiffed-up Swiffer.

This is a really easy project! A great way to use felt scraps, and you can probably make these out of old ratty fleece scarves, jackets, or pants. Yay for reducing, reusing and recycling! Grin

-Jaime
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
     Thomas Edison
Guin

Hey, there's a lemon behind that rock!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009 03:10:05 PM »

Awesome idea! I've been wanting to make something like this for a while, but the knitted/crocheted ones never struck me as quite right for the job somehow. Fleece, though - I know that stuff lives to attract dust!
Thanks for the post!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chanemza
Your temper brings dishonor to my happy mushu palace.

Chick of The Sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009 04:07:25 PM »

Awesome!  I just "This Rocks"-ed you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mstelena
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009 10:53:14 AM »

Holy crap!!

I'd never have thought to use fleece...but it makes perfect sense!  (I have been using 'bar mop towels'... methinks I'll be making some fleece pads)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lwmurphy
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009 08:46:54 AM »

Oh I LOVE this. I have the swiffer where you secure the cloth by poking it into little scary pointy grabby holes, so I wouldn't even have to sew the little straps.

This is great. I was just thinking last night how much I love using my Swiffer but the generic brand cloths are worthless and the Swiffer brand are not budget-friendly, nor eco-friendly.

Now, if you can just come up with a way to finally wean me off of paper towels, I'm all set.

Hooray! Can't wait to buy some fleece items from the 50-cent room at the thrift shop.

Lucy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cross_my_hooks
With Love, Crochet

Let's make magic!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009 12:21:05 PM »

Man that is so neat.  I have tons of fleece left over from a halloween costume I made.  **Jumps in to closet frantically searching for fleece leftovers** I can't wait to try this out! thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009 02:27:33 PM »

This is great! I have a ton of fleece that I had no idea what to do with. Now I can make a bunch of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009 06:23:33 PM »

Ohh...I love. I'd never of had a swiffer, but mr.taco had one when I moved in, and I feel guilty every time I use it and throw the cloth thingy in the trash. I totally have fleece scraps and cats. And the bands would so help hold it in place. (I too have the one where you poke the cloth in the holes, but it never seems to hold on well)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
junebug6162
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009 05:08:15 PM »

That is freakin brilliant!  Hmmmm....wonder if I can figure out something like this for the swiffer mop for the kitchen floor?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Soledad
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009 06:00:19 PM »

Thank you so much for your idea.  I have lots of fleece scraps and a swifter not being used. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad at Her Allure April 2014 Cover Shoot
Teen Vogue Editor Elaine Welteroth Responds to Your Comments
How to Combat Your Dry Skin
Birchbox Limited Edition Box: Free for All Unboxing!
Best Day Time Eye Shadows
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...