A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedroom Remodel/Rennovation {Picture HEAVY!}  (Read 3167 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RagnazIdnar
« on: February 16, 2009 03:39:45 AM »

Let me first start by apologizing for the massive-ness of this post.  Cheesy

After almost a year of searching for a house that we both like and could afford, DH and I found an awesome 1908 farmhouse that had been updated and added on to over the years. It was a foreclosure/bank repo and was a disgusting mess which kept most other potential buyers at bay, but I couldn't help but fall in love with it's hidden potential! Trusting my intuition we started the LONG buying process in August 2008 and closed on the house just before Halloween. We worked on it for 6 weeks every day to get it ready to move in the first week of December. We're still not 100% finished, but we're getting close and I wanted to share some of the progress so far.

I'll post several others, but let's start with the bedroom. It was an add-on to our house that was built in the early 90's and transformed our bedroom into a massive space. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'd say it is just over 700 sq. feet. Bigger than some of my friend's entire apartments.

A before and after shot of the bedroom for comparison.

This is a (crappy) photo of our bedroom before. There were a lot of problems with this room. The most obvious was this hideous 12" tall wallpaper border that went around the ceiling that is jungle themed. (toucans and leopards. *gag*) Oh, and you can't forget the silk floral vines thumb-tacked to the ceilings. Because the drywall was never painted it not only was filthy but the wallpaper was stuck on like you wouldn't believe! The carpet and the walls were soiled with dog urine and there were puppy scratches everywhere.

This photo is the same room, looking towards the opposite wall. (Check out the awful yellow living room! I'll post that transformation later.) The only closet we had was a small coat closet and the door was in sad shape. It was painted a yellowy-cream and grafitti'd with sharpies, then the graffitti was painted over with white. If you look close you can see the ceiling light (with the pull string) barely hanging on for dear life (by the wires!).

The first thing to go (after the wallpaper!) was the nasty carpet. DH ripped up the carpet and the pad which you can see in the background of the above photo all stained and smelly-looking. Then we ripped up the carpet tacks to prep the floors. Because the add-on didn't have wood floors underneath we had to replace the flooring rather than re-finish. Here is the line between the two floors.

We also took advantage of the carpet being gone to prime (sucked up 3 coats of primer) and paint the walls. They are a light blue/grey color called "Sky's the Limit." The floor then had to be prepped by filling in gaps and uneven areas with Fix-all that we then sanded. BIG mess!

We decided on carbonized bamboo flooring that was a simple tongue and groove installation. With the help of my parents we finished the huge floor in 2 1/2 days. The first 3 rows were the hardest part and once we got the hang of things it went really fast.

We then put up baseboards all around that I painted gloss white. We also spray painted the original ceiling fan (which was green) gloss white.

The view of the other side of the room. In this photo you can also see the built-in bookshelves that we gutted down to the original wood. Since this picture was taken we've drywalled it and turned it into a linen closet on top and a wardrobe on the bottom (since the closet in our bedroom was so dinky. Now we have his and hers closets). The door behind the soon-to-be wardrobe is to the 2nd bathroom. We have a master bath connected to our room as well, so we basically never use this door or the 2nd bathroom. We also painted the closet door and I replaced the knob with a vintage glass doorknob that I scored on sale!

This shows the wardrobe in-progress a bit better once we started moving in our furniture. (Don't mind the mess with the boxes in the corner!) That huge armoire is acutally for our TV. We downsized from a giant entertainment center and put the bigger of our two TVs in our bedroom inside this thing. We also bought big binders and threw out our cases for our 700 DVDs. (DH watches lots of TV) The binders, our PS2 and our games are stored in the drawers underneath.

More furniture after it got moved in. I LOVE these mirrors. We saw them at a furniture store and I had to have them. DH talked the price down and I am so happy they are mine now! The bubbles on them are an optical illusion- the mirror is one flat piece. You can also barely see my apothecary jars in this photo- I've since filled them with moss balls and other fun things.

The final product (kinda). I'd love really modern lamps for our nightstands but I'm holding out for the right ones.  Grin The basket on the floor on his side (left) is because he will wear the same lounge pants all week long and I needed a place for him to throw his clothes that had been worn but weren't "dirty" yet. I am also in the process of hanging art, photos and shelves so that's why my walls are bare. I need to move the pic above his nightstand and center it more too. The vintage trunk belonged to my great-grandfather and it holds extra linens. I love the cream frize (or however you spell it) rug that it sits on. The green rug on my side is laying there temporarily until the upstairs is finished.

So... if you are still with me thanks for checking out our room makeover. I'll have plenty more to post soon.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
akachan
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009 04:18:21 AM »

Very nice ! 
I like the crisp cleanness  of it now  (the before pics...made me itchy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Opalgryphon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009 05:04:37 AM »

You guys did an awesome job!  I'm with the last poster....It just looked kind of scuzzy before, like you really don't want to touch anything.  It's amazing the difference the little things can make too.  The clean white baseboards really finish it all.  Good luck and have fun on the rest Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009 05:45:08 AM »

GREAT job! I really like the change and those mirrors are to die for! GREAT choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009 05:51:41 AM »

You did a beautiful job with it and having remodeled some older homes myself, a ton of work. I can't wait to see the rest of your progress on the home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009 07:15:58 AM »

excellent work! things like this make me twitchy for my own house even more...so nice and clean-looking, but still very welcoming!  Grin

*grumbles about being a perpetual student while looking up design ideas*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009 07:34:28 AM »

A much needed improvement. If I'd seen that I'd never have seen the potential and simply moved on. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009 07:43:15 AM »

Oh - you're doing a great job - a dream of mine to fix up an old house (even though I know it can seem like a never ending task sometimes!)  I'm so glad you got rid of that wallpaper border - LOL - makes you wonder what people were thinking sometimes.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
Birdythemighty
Distracted by shiney

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009 07:58:34 AM »

I like what you've done. Black furniture holds a soft spot in my dreams of my own home...

this makes me want to buy one... RIGHT NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lok-Tar Ogar!

Birdy's Blog: http://birdythemighty.blogspot.com/
RagnazIdnar
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009 02:49:13 PM »

Thanks everyone! It was REALLY gross before and I don't think I took of the rubber gloves for about the first 3 weeks! Coincidentally this house was once used as a grow operation for marijuana, so maybe that explains what the people before us were thinking!  Wink

I forgot to mention that the furniture is "espresso" even though it looks black in the photos. Glad y'all like it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of the Eastern Wa Etsy Team!
www.ragnazidnar.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair How To: The Grecian Twist
Adele, Lana Del Rey and Madonna Set Bouffant Hair Trend
How Humidity Affects Hair
How to Get the Pinup-Girl Hairstyle
Salon Solutions for Frizzy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...