A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
293 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting a hat on dpns...  (Read 586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fakeiloveyous
Reluctant recovering polka-dot addict

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2005 03:27:41 PM »

I just started working on my first non scarf project- a hat. The problem is that i bought a 29" set of circs instead of 16". i won't be able to get back to the store for a little while, so is there a way to either:

1) Knit my hat on the circs anyway?
2) Knit the entire hat on dpns?

Please help me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm faking i love yous, you're forcing me to"
karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005 04:23:05 PM »

Not too long after I first started knitting I decided I wanted to do a hat. I live out in the middle of nowhere and unless I ordered circs online I couldn't get anything other than 29 inch circulars. Now I needed to make this hat, I had my mind set on making a hate and by Gabriel I was going to do it. I knitted my hat on a set of dpns. I used a set of 4, meaning 3 always holding stitches and the working needle. I managed it and my 3 year old son has appropriated this rather simple ribbed hat. I had to frog it a bunch of times before I got the hang of it but you can indeed make a hat just on dpns. The drawback to doing your hat just on dpns is that there will be what I call 'weak links' in the hat where you switch from one needle to the next. You have to make sure to knit a lot tighter when you switch from one needle to the next. Its the main reason I frogged the hat so many times.

So, unless your head is UBERhuge, you shouldn't have any troubles doing the hat just on dpns. Its a whole lot easier when using circs tho. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Fakeiloveyous

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005 04:33:56 PM »

hmmm... sounds doable. maybe you can help me with some questions about dpns though. the books i have talk about using a triangular formation. but aren't i really just picking up one needle out of the triangle, and then working my way around the triangle? and where are all my stitches going to end up? im very confused about all this, i hope you can help me! thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karahtalia
Queen of Unfinished Projects

Dangerous Kittyboy aka The Knitting Guineapig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005 04:51:06 PM »

Ok, lets see if I am decent at explaining this:

Lets say you are making a hat by casting on 30 stitches on dpns. You have 4 dpns, so you cast on 10 stitches on 3 different dpns. That leaves the fourth free. You now need take the three needles with stitches on them and form a triangle, make sure that the cast on is not twisted, the "spine" as i call it should be facing the same way when the triangle is formed. Now take the 4th needle and do your first stitch, lets say we are doing a row of knit stitches. So knit the first stitch.

What is the first stitch you ask? Well that would be the first caston, the one that your working yarn is not attatched to. When you formed the triangle you had the first cast on stitch and the last next to each other when you knit in that first cast on it joins the whole mess into a circle. I hope that makes sense, it does in my twisted little mind but then again I am crazy so mebbie I make no sense at all Cheesy

Anyway, you now have it joined and you can work in the round. You will knit all the stitches on the first needle onto your working needle, that will leave the first needle free of stitches once you do those ten. That needle which is without stitches then becomes the working needle and you use it in place of the one that now has 10 knit stitches on it. You just keep doing that from one needle to the next. Think of it as a strange game of leapfrog.

If I make no sense, which might very well be the case, there are some good tutorials out there which can show it and make it easier to understand. If you still have troubles, message away and I will find a few of those tutes for ya.

Good luck Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting is Knourishment Cheesy

http://www.irishwitch.blogspot.com/
Fakeiloveyous

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005 05:06:32 PM »

i think that makes sense, but when it comes to knitting i learn best by doing, so we'll see... i'm not going to attempt this until tomorrow, im too tired to tackle this right now. but with your help along with stitch n bitch, i should be okay. thanks so much for your help!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005 06:08:28 PM »

http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit12.htm
and
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/profile/010426_b.asp
both look like good links for knitting with dpns when i scanned them a sec ago on google.

you can also do magic loop knitting but i have a feeling that will be more confusing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...