A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
443 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cathedral window  (Read 2488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Buckleigh
« on: February 15, 2009 03:03:24 PM »

Crafters, those that have made the cathedral window quilt.

I am planning a queen size quilt topper, just large enough to sit on top of the bed:  can someone tell me how much of the base fabric (thats usually white) will I need if I plan to start with 12" squares...

Thanks in advance!

Buck
crafty guy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danni42683
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009 09:41:24 AM »

Try this http://www.hickoryhillquilts.com/fabric-calculator.htm if you know you are going to use 12 1/2 inch blocks (with seam allowance), then you need to know how many blocks you are going to have running across and how many you are going to have running down. then just click on calculate and it will tell you how much yardage to buy for your base fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Buckleigh
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009 07:03:39 PM »

thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, this won't work for this type of pattern, due to the "origami" aspects.

EDIT:

Holy Yardage, Batman!

I did a mock-up of the base piece using paper, and according to my calculations, its gonna take almost 20 yds of fabric for the base!!!

Maybe I made a mistake....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009 10:34:04 PM by Buckleigh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

danni42683
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009 07:03:53 AM »

20 yards does sound like a lot, what pattern are you using to make it?

If you are doing it something like this http://hyena-in-petticoats.blogspot.com/2007/08/cathedral-window-quilt-tutorial.html you can still use the calc. you just need to know how many white blocks you will be folding/ironing. then plug THAT number into the calculator.
Its confusing! I hate buying fabric for quilts and stuff! I normally end up adding A LOT to my stash because I end up over buying by A LOT!

But I buy fabric for clothes that way to if it calls for two yards I always end up buying three "just to make sure" and then end up only using a yard and a half!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemejia
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009 01:20:26 PM »

What I would suggest is to cut a piece of paper or newspaper to the size you will be cutting your fabrics (before folding) then fold the paper as outlined in the Cathedral directions. Now measure the size of your finished square. Figure out how many of those finished/folded squares it's going to take to make the finished size you want. once you have figured out how many of you will need, say you need 50, your next step is to figure out how much yardage you need to get 50 12" squares.

For the named example you would need about 6 yards (I'm rounding up) you would need less yardage if you figure out how to use your fabric more efficiently. Like by cutting 11" squares instead of 12" squares. Does that make sense? most yardage is 44-45" wide. If you cut 12" squares you are wasting 8" of fabric and only getting 3 squares. If you cut 11" squares you get 4 squares and don't waste much if any fabric.  Huh Did I loose ya!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buckleigh
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009 10:28:49 AM »

I decided I wanted a bigger scale on the finished quilt, so I did as you advised and made a mock up of 21" square (roughly half the standard 43/44 fabric, before seam allowance).  Then plugged this size and the number of finished blocks into the above link. That is when I got the 18/19 yards.   My source for very cheap fabric ($1 and $2 per yard) has dried up.  I'm looking at making some of the base 'squares' from more than one color, thus giving some interest to the back also.  Maybe even keeping an eye open for very cheap bedding, (tho I don't like that).

Another option I found was a faux cathedral window, where the base is made of a 4 square, but then it doesn't have the finished back....all these options give me time to think while I finish quilting a top I have finished and work on a rag quilt that I wanna make.

BTW...here is a link for the faux catherdral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvXUvKIzYZY

Thanks for everyones advice and input.

Buck
crafty guy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JTravis10
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009 04:28:46 AM »

Hi Buck:

I have a pattern for Cathedral Windows, and I did check for you.  It called for 25 yards of muslin for the queen sized quilt (although it counts some of the overhang, and I know you said you just wanted it on the top only).  Good Luck. 

Jack
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get Effortless Beach Wavy Hair
How To Style Your Hair Using A Hair Wand
Amber Valletta at Her Allure June 2014 Shoot
The 5 Best Curling Irons
How to Make Hair Toner with Household Products
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...