A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,153
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Custom Mahjong Set  (Read 18610 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , game , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2009 10:26:28 PM »

I hope this is the right area to post this. Mahjong is a toy/game, so I think this is where I'd put it. Please correct me if I'm wrong or move it if needed!

Anyway, this was my Valentine's day present to my husband this year... a handpainted 145 tile set for the game of Mahjong.

A little backstory: a few months back, some friends of ours, Caley and Kali, (the Ckalieys) had us over for dinner and game night. They had recently been taught how to play Mahjong, and they were eager to share it with us. It was somewhat of a learning process for all of us because they were a bit rusty and hadn't had much practice. They had bought a Mahjong set and taught us to play that night. We enjoyed Mahjong a lot and look forward to playing more with them. Lucas has even been playing online lately. That's when the idea for this present hit me.

It took a lot of searching ... I was unable to find blank actual Mahjong-type tiles or anything quite the same. However, I did find that there were people out there selling blank domino tiles with holes drilled into them lengthwise to be used as "beads" for designing jewellery and such, thanks to the helpful people of Craftster. So I bought a large lot set of 350 of these blank wooden domino beads from a seller on eBay.

Once they arrived, I sorted through and picked out 145 tiles. The version of Mahjong we play is a 144 tile set with 1 extra tile to be used as the Prevailing Wind Marker. Then I set to work handpainting all 145 tiles myself, with Wikipedia's page on Mahjong with little images of the tiles as my guide. I know my characters aren't perfect, but I am really proud of the turnout. Once the faces of the dominoes were dry, I turned each tile over and then painted the backside of each orange... Lucas's favourite colour. If this was to be Lucas' custom handmade Mahjong set, I wanted it to be tailored to his likes.

Anyway, once I was done with the painting part, then I had to spend a few days using spray sealant/clear coat to give each tile a bit of extra durability and shine. The fronts and the backs, of course. Then we found this great paper-mache box at Michaels craft store (Lucas didn't know what it was for) and I painted it black on the outside and brown on the inside to be used as the storage container for all 145 completed tiles.

I still need to print off the custom instructions I put together based on Wikipedia's info, but the gift was very well liked, and I can't wait to use it the next time we play Mahjong.

There are a TON of photos -- I took lots along the way as I worked on this. To see them all, check out the photobucket album (here) ... there you'll be able to see close up photos of the different suit sets and all of the tiles, as well as "in-progress" photos.

Thanks for looking Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009 11:02:42 PM »

They turned out great...I am so glad you posted them up! I was wondering how it turned out and all! I actually think your characters look quite neat and well done, personally. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magnoliastellata
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009 02:28:33 AM »

This is frikkin cool! I hope he loved it!! Your characters are pretty good too, did you study Japanese?? Nice work!
Keep it up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been a part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you." Bill Bryson, A short history of nearly everything, pg 176
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009 05:26:16 AM »

That is serious. I love it. I would have never thought of making a Mahjong set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
KimD
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009 05:30:40 AM »

That is so neat.  I love the game Great work
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda_angel99
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009 07:03:29 AM »

Completely Awesome!!  mahjong is fun, but ive never had the chance to play in person. And the cheaper of the sets always looked cheesy to me (LA china town-- and were still a bit expensive for a college student!)

Yours is gorgeous. Hes  a lucky man. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like pandas!!<p> Soon to be New Mommy<p> UCI Allumni<p>
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009 08:35:25 AM »

thanks everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009 08:39:09 AM »

What a beautiful and thoughtful gift!  You did an amazing job, and I'm sure it will be cherished for years to come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
space opera
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009 07:49:06 PM »

WOW!!!  You did a fabulous job!  What an incredible, thoughtful gift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009 09:11:54 AM »

WOW, that is totally amazing and your painting skills are very good! This is truly a labour of love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wrap a Box Shaped Gift
How to Gift Wrap a Circular Object
How to Do Cross Stitch Embroidery
How to Cross Stitch the Alphabet
How to Change a Needle Light
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...