I hope this is the right area to post this. Mahjong is a toy/game, so I think
this is where I'd put it. Please correct me if I'm wrong or move it if needed!
Anyway, this was my Valentine's day present to my husband this year... a handpainted 145 tile set for the game of Mahjong.A little backstory:
a few months back, some friends of ours, Caley and Kali, (the Ckalieys) had us over for dinner and game night. They had recently been taught how to play Mahjong, and they were eager to share it with us. It was somewhat of a learning process for all of us because they were a bit rusty and hadn't had much practice. They had bought a Mahjong set and taught us to play that night. We enjoyed Mahjong a lot and look forward to playing more with them. Lucas has even been playing online lately. That's when the idea for this present hit me.
It took a lot of searching ... I was unable to find blank actual Mahjong-type tiles or anything quite the same. However, I did find that there were people out there selling blank domino tiles with holes drilled into them lengthwise to be used as "beads" for designing jewellery and such, thanks to the helpful people of Craftster
. So I bought a large lot set of 350 of these blank wooden domino beads from a seller on eBay.
Once they arrived, I sorted through and picked out 145 tiles. The version of Mahjong we play is a 144 tile set with 1 extra tile to be used as the Prevailing Wind Marker. Then I set to work handpainting all 145 tiles myself, with Wikipedia's page on Mahjong with little images of the tiles as my guide. I know my characters aren't perfect, but I am really proud of the turnout. Once the faces of the dominoes were dry, I turned each tile over and then painted the backside of each orange... Lucas's favourite colour. If this was to be Lucas' custom handmade Mahjong set, I wanted it to be tailored to his likes.
Anyway, once I was done with the painting part, then I had to spend a few days using spray sealant/clear coat to give each tile a bit of extra durability and shine. The fronts and the backs, of course. Then we found this great paper-mache box at Michaels craft store (Lucas didn't know what it was for) and I painted it black on the outside and brown on the inside to be used as the storage container for all 145 completed tiles.
I still need to print off the custom instructions I put together based on Wikipedia's info, but the gift was very well liked, and I can't wait to use it the next time we play Mahjong.
There are a TON of photos -- I took lots along the way as I worked on this. To see them all, check out the photobucket album (here)
... there you'll be able to see close up photos of the different suit sets and all of the tiles, as well as "in-progress" photos.
Thanks for looking