A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Diabetic Friendly frosting and icing?  (Read 1426 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

D_Flack
« on: February 14, 2009 09:21:11 PM »

I just started a cake decorating class and I'm really excited about it.  My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are taking it with me, as well.  My father-in-law is diabetic and obviously the 2lbs powdered sugar used for the buttercream frosting we learned how to make doesn't mix well for him.  I was wondering if anyone have any great diabetic friendly frosting or other dessert ideas??

Thank you!!  Hope everyone had a great day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lumps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009 04:16:21 PM »

I would also be interested in any diabetic recipes. My aunty has had diabetes for years but my uncle has just been diagnosed as having it too and always feel guilty when they get left out at dessert time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

D_Flack
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009 08:08:22 PM »

I found a substitute for powdered sugar that we tried tonight.  2c cornstarch, 2c non fat dry milk powder, and 1 cup splenda (or similar).  Put in a food processor and blend until like powder sugar.  well we let my father in law try it and he liked it, but we think it could use a little less cornstarch because it really caused the icing to be really stiff.  And i think i'll run each ingredient thorugh the food processor separately first to make it a little more fine.

If i come across anymore i'll post them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Niblett
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009 06:54:33 AM »

Hmmm. I don't like really sweet icing, so have some ideas. Whipped cream with a tablespoon of sugar and a few drops of vanilla essence is really nice as an alternative frosting, although you then have to keep your cake chilled.

Also chocolate ganache is a lot less sweet - if you make the kind with just dark chocolate and cream melted together.

Cream cheese with crushed raspberries or other fruit stirred in with some honey is good too - although you probably couldn't do particularly complicated decorations on top of it. I saw a really pretty cake decorated with lots of different summer berries arranged in concentric circles on top, maybe something like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand-painted resin jewellery http://www.folksy.com/shops/raddington
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 03:51:23 AM »

I've also used chocolate mousse (I use whipping cream only, no egg version for cholesterol purposes for in-laws) as an icing, and that went over very well. Substitute sugar replacement for sugar and it's good to go. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Hot Chicken Wings
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
Quick and Easy Summer Grilling Recipes
Ultimate Sandwich: Gobstopper Po’ Boy
Cooking With Watermelon: Delicious Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...