A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oscar Party (NOW WITH PICTURES)  (Read 765 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 14, 2009 09:53:08 AM »

Every year I throw an Oscar party. I love the Oscars! This year will be my biggest party yet. I have 40 people so far the have RSVP'd and it is going to be so much fun!

Here are just a few things I am doing this year for the party.

Oscar Bingo: I've made and printed out "bingo" cards that have Oscar related things instead of numbers. The cards have things like, music cuts off speech, presenter puts on glasses to read teleprompter, nominee trips coming up stairs... When you get a "bingo" you shout OSCAR!

Pin the Oscar on the actor: My friend came up with this idea. She printed out two large posters of Kate Winslett and Heith Ledger and a smaller picture of an Oscar. Same idea as pin the tail on the donkey.

Movie quote challenge: We printed out a ton of movie quotes from all different types of movies and put them in a jar and pass it around. People have to try and guess the movie and who said it.

Movie soundtrack game: Same idea as movie quotes, only you have to guess what movie the song came from.

Guess who: When guests arrive, they are given an actor/actress to wear on their back (just small picture) and they are not allowed to know who it is. They have to figure it out by asking other guests yes/no questions to try and figure it out.

I bought two pinatas (one shaped like a movie camera and the other like a slate). We are giving away prizes like movie theater tickets, itunes gift card and little oscar statues for games.

Our clubhouse where we had the party. Pin the Oscar on teh actor posters and swag bag area.

Close up!

Swag bag table with cds, candy, toys, awards!

Pinatas

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009 08:50:57 AM by Lydia the Strange » THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009 10:49:40 AM »

That sounds great.  I had an Oscars party for my birthday one year and I spraypainted a Ken doll gold, nailed him to a gold spray painted tuna upside-down tuna can, and glued a crafted golden sword between his hands.  In the photos it looked EXACTLY like an Oscar and everyone loved it.  Also, I worked at a movie theater so I had special privileges, but I'm sure you can convince your local theater to give you old movie posters and a trailer reel for free.  Trailer reels are just like 4" in diameter, but there's hundreds of feet of film to them and they make great decorations instead of streamers (also, guests love to guess which movie they are for).  I both put up the posters and I gave them away to people who won Best Costume, Most Correct Ballot Guesses, and some other third thing (it was 3 years ago - cut me a break!).  Lastly, I'm sure you've got some version of it, but I bought a red plastic tablecloth from the dollar store and cut it into three long runs for a red carpet as people approached the house.  Yours sounds so much fun and I can't wait for photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009 08:21:31 AM »

Tomorrow is the big day! I've been working on a crocheted Oscar inspired by the one that a fellow crafter on these forums made. I've also been burning and Oscar party mix cd for all the guests (will include songs from movies from all years).

We are making little goodie bags for adults and kids. The adults will have a cd, Oscar buttercream mints, movie star glasses and candy from the pinatas. The kids will have little toys, candy, a cd, movie star glasses and crazy straws.

The posters that we made for pin the oscar on the actor were printed on photo paper and after the party, we are gonna have everyone sign the borders on both pictures and then get them framed.

I am so excited about our party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Attach Binding Strips Onto a Quilt
About the Expert: Lion Brand Yarn Studio
About the Experts: Cynthia Mann and Melissa Lunden
How to Set Up a Face Painting Booth
Trick Out Your Model Train Layout
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...