A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
790 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn/Needle Inventory and Organization  (Read 2661 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2005 11:58:53 AM »

Ok, so I now know that I am addicted to knitting, yarn and all of their other wonders.  But I am quickly running into a problem...I don't know what the hell I have!  I can go through it over and over again, but I never remember that I bought 3 balls of cotton 4 months ago!  What are you all doing to keep your yarn and needles organized and what sort of inventory system do you use?  I have a serious aversion to organization, but this is getting ridiculous!

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
penguino
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005 12:08:32 PM »

I have a needle case for all my needles and a huge bags for yarns.  I use one-gallon ziploc bags to separate different yarns.  That way I have them semi-organized and can still see them. 

Earlier this week, I use micosoft excel to make a spreadsheet with the yarn, needle, and project.  In excel, I have different worksheet (tab) for yarn, needle and project ideas.  Well, even with the spreadsheet, I still manage to buy another set of #11 needle, even though I have 4 sets already. Wink

Good luck with your organization.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2005 12:11:06 PM »

Over on the Knitting Tips thread, someone has posted a little card that her yarn store uses to help customers know which needles they have. You could make another one for yarn as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
selenium
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005 12:12:14 PM »

I use a small notebook with small samples of the yarns and fabrics I have at home.  When I go to the store I know what I've already got and I have things to match against if I need more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005 06:21:09 PM »

I already know I have most of the needle sizes I use, and if i buy one more pair of size 0 dpns thats ok since i periodically lose them O.o.   Eventually I hope to get a set of interchangeables (really want wood or bamboo, but i might end up getting denise since i hear better reviews about them), then ill have my bases covered for the sizes i use, since i dont really like straight needles too much- jsut another piece to lose.

Yarn and fiber are stored in giant rubbermaid tubs, my closet, and another closet.  Smiley that doesnt count the laundry basket thats full of wpi.  I don't really know how i know what i have- i just do.  I don't tend to have a stash that has enough yarn of one type to make a sweater since i make mostly small projects, and i have a decent memory when it comes to what sock and laceweight yarn i have in the yarn tub. 
(edit to add)
and i have an entirely differnt shelving unit for the yarns in my shop (or wating to be added)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2005 06:27:48 PM by midnightsky1686 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Knitrageous
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005 07:26:54 PM »

Okay, this is going to sound pretty nerdy but I have all my (newest) novelty type yarn in my handheld computer. I need the calendar for my job and I just added in the yarn in the tasks section. My friends laugh at me but when I get to a store I can look and see if I really need another black or if I have enough!

Works for me! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005 07:54:56 PM »

Ooo, good ideas!  Thanks and keep them coming...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midnightsky1686
Midnightsky Fibers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005 07:58:58 PM »

Okay, this is going to sound pretty nerdy but I have all my (newest) novelty type yarn in my handheld computer. I need the calendar for my job and I just added in the yarn in the tasks section. My friends laugh at me but when I get to a store I can look and see if I really need another black or if I have enough!

Works for me! Roll Eyes
actually i was going to do that once i got my pda up and running again so i can have all my yarns at home catalogued so i know what i have there while im at school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnightsky Fibers
Naturally Dyed Textiles
Blog
Yarns and Fibers Handmade in the Pacific NW
Knitrageous
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005 10:52:39 AM »

It really does work well. I have mine in the tasks--rank is how many I have--up to 5 and if there is more than that I make a note.Also, I put the color combo in the notes if I need a reminder.  I have categories of the different kinds or brands. I check the box (task done) if I don't have that anymore but don't have it disappear off the screen, just have a line drawn through it so I know I had it but don't now. You could also use a spreadsheet in Docs to Go if you wanted or needed more space. And it's all right there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Learning how to knit was a snap. It was learning how to stop that nearly destroyed me." Erma Bombeck
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005 11:35:31 AM »

Knitrageous,

You are awesome girl!  I don't know if I can do all of that.  I might just need to do something on an Excel spreadsheet and try to make that work.  Hmmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Cleavage Without the Padded Bra
Have You Ever Seen Nicole Richie Look This Cool?
Fashion Friendly Winter Coats Review
Topshop 2014 Winter Lookbook
10 Ways to Style Your Midi Skirt
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...