A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,021
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 112
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tree Swap Round 2! FINISHED!  (Read 35251 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: February 26, 2009 12:37:38 PM »

Yeah, here ya go:
The Northern Mockingbird is a loud and persistent singer. It sings all through the day, and often into the night. Most nocturnal singers are unmated males, which sing more than mated males during the day too. Nighttime singing is more common during the full moon. In well-lit areas around people, even mated males may sing at night.
(source: All About Birds)

There's a lot of results on google for "mockingbird singing at night" and other variations. Most are people trying to figure out how to get sleep at night when a mockingbird sets up his eharmony.com profile of nightly singing! Cheesy

Thanks for the info.  Almost makes me wish I had mockingbirds. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunaKitten
LunaKitten Kreations

I have affairs with fictitious characters.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2009 02:45:47 PM »

I've lived places where they have sang all day, and then I lived in a place that had one that was a night bird! Boy, they are phenomenal birds, but having them do their insane impressions all night is enough to drive anyone mad. (You should watch Failure to Launch, the roommate in there had this problem, and also found out how illegal it is to kill them LoL It was amusing) We have an owl a block up that whoo whooos for me at night, I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Substantial Wist Smiley

Forget all the other crafting tools, what I really want is a sonic screwdriver!!!!

Blessed Be!

I'm up for personal swaps! PM Me! Smiley

Etsy Shop
echo_brook
Mollusks inhabit the soft parts of my heart.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2009 02:50:40 PM »

I'm a big fan of the owls that live around here. When I lived on campus, my dorm was right off on a canyon and we'd have owls perched in the eucalyptus trees, staring at us while we were studying for finals. I'm not sure how I feel about the coyotes, raccoons, and occasional bobcats (!!) that crawl out of the canyons, though. They are gorgeous to look at while I'm inside, but being spooked by one the snuck up on me is quite another story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Newly moved to the Tri Valley area (Dublin, CA) and would love to meet craftsters here. Please don't be shy about PMing me.

http://www.wists.com/echo_brook

I do personal swaps.
imafundork
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2009 03:02:05 PM »

I've lived places where they have sang all day, and then I lived in a place that had one that was a night bird! Boy, they are phenomenal birds, but having them do their insane impressions all night is enough to drive anyone mad. (You should watch Failure to Launch, the roommate in there had this problem, and also found out how illegal it is to kill them LoL It was amusing) We have an owl a block up that whoo whooos for me at night, I love it.

hahaha...I immediately thought of Failure to Launch when the talk turned to Mockingbirds.  Zooey Deschanel's character is a riot in that movie!   Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009 03:06:33 PM by imafundork - Reason: spelling error » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

« Reply #314 on: February 26, 2009 03:29:26 PM »

I used to have sugar gliders as pets!! Cutest things ever!  It slept in my sports bra when I rode my bike cause it's a marsupial!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: February 26, 2009 04:35:48 PM »

I guess that would explain the sugar glider in the lady's jacket at the show.  I didn't know they were marsupials.  They are definitely cute, though, and they look like they would be good pets.

I guess I'll stick with my red-winged blackbirds, instead of mockingbirds.  At least the blackbirds are predictable.

I've seen plenty of coyotes, deer and elk here, but I've never seen a bobcat.  I think I'm glad for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Windoverireland

Any man can lose his hat in a fairy-wind.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: February 26, 2009 04:36:13 PM »

Thanks - so does that make them indigenous to Australia only? Our flying squirrels are quite big here in the USA, but they can make a mess in attics and garages.

It's the red squirrels that are obnoxious! They throw stuff at you and are very destructive.

Most animals can be aggressive if cornered or threatened. It's how they protect themselves from the big bad humans who are stealing their habitats and poisoning them with the endless garbage and waste - ok - I'm off my soap box

I have a healthy respect for all of Nature and enjoy watching the wildlife which I will feed appropriately as a contribution to Nature's cause. I also put out hair and feathers for the birds to make their nests. My mom used to hang out the horses' hair after combing. Birds love down and all sorts of soft things for their nests. PA winters can be brutal they need all the help they can get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #317 on: February 26, 2009 04:40:46 PM »

Whenever I cut my hair in the spring, I always put the hair out for the birds.  The swallows like to use it for their mud nests.  I guess it makes them stronger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Olivegreenspring

Oh, then, I see Queen Mab hath been with you!

« Reply #318 on: February 26, 2009 04:42:51 PM »

holy smokes, I missed like 5 pages.

We don't have as many squirrels in tennessee as we did in mi. we have brown ones up in michigan and down hear they are more gray. I have 1 cute and one sad squirrel story:

cute- when I was in Kindergarten, I was riding home from school on the school bus and BAM the bus stops and my face smashed into the bus seat. I randomly jabbered with my bus driver so I said "hey, what was that!?" and she told me that a little squirrel ran out in front of us. you didn't want me to hit it did you?! and I said well no. My face getting smashed was worth it, compassion is learned early Smiley

sad- I started dating this guy and he came to pick me up and brought a baby squirrel that was in his yard that had gotten away from its mother. I called my local vet and he couldn't help me because squirrels aren't domestic. So I cared for this baby squirrel until It passed away. I was so upset because I just wanted to get him well enough to go back out, but I think he was just too young. I cried and cried when he died. It was pitiful. I was so way more attached to the squirrel than I ever was that jerk, I called to tell him the squirrel died and I was crying and he was like "why are you crying, It's just a squirrel."

that was the end of that relationship.

When I was little, I used to love taking my hair outside for the birds to make nests with, I guess I thought I was the only one who did that
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

« Reply #319 on: February 26, 2009 04:43:23 PM »

The only bad thing about sugar gliders as pets is that they sell wooden cages and the smell seeps into the wood and it's bad.  Also, they have bifid penises (2 of them) and high hormone levels (which is why the boys have bald spots) so once they hit puberty they are less fun and cute and more GROSS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 112 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Party Chocolate Coated Popcorn Recipe
Slow Cooker Roast Beef Sandwich Recipe
Inviting Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Best Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
Hot Wings Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...