A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Archived Featured Artists!  (Read 39709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Sublime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2012 07:06:53 PM »

Aislynn and I are very excited about our miscellaneous featured artist this quarter. She is an amazing talent whose one-of-a-kind imagination has spawned some truly incredible creations. Many of which have ended up right here in our Miscellaneous board!

Congratulations to crazyalien8!! Thank you for sharing your work with the Craftster community.

Read on to hear more about crazyalien8's creative process and inspiration!

Dingy Kitchen

How long have you been crafting?  What's the first thing you remember crafting?

It started when a friend of the family gave me one of those plastic canvases, a plastic needle and some yarn when I was four. Ever since then, I've been trying to DIY - even if the outcome haven't turned out perfect! The first this that I remember feeling proud of making was a circle skirt in this bright forest and acid green tye dye. Still have it stuffed in my closet. It's awful.  

What's your favorite media?

ALL THE CLAYS. Polymer, ceramic, apoxie, paper. All the ones I haven't discovered yet. Even wax is fun to work with, though challenging. I like transforming a lump of material into a new entity. It's intriguing and exciting to watch the forms emerge.

What inspires you?

So many things! People for one - the human body and all it's differences. The bits and pieces of our life. Ugliness is crazy inspiration! There's so many interesting things to make when you start to cast out the idea of beauty. And then there's all the people on craftster. I've been watching this site for over six years and there has been so many amazing people and projects that have changed how I create my work.

Altoids Tiny Monster House

Do you have a crafty/creative philosophy?

Keep working. Don't be afraid to destroy something. Finish it. I try to apply this to all my creative endeavors (try being the key word!) Because if I just follow those simple rules, something amazing can happen. When I don't, the the project just sits  somewhere sad, never getting the chance to flourish.

Altered Altoid Tin

On what other boards can Craftster members find your work posted?

I've dabbled on the Paper Crafts board - made a ton of inchies and sent them all over the place! There was this really cool tiny book swap too - loved crafting that one the most out of all the paper craft swaps.

Tiny Book

I've posted one of my bronze sculptures (which is currently in a city gallery!) and my Cat Series in Less Craft, More Art.

Ode to Gallbladder
Be sure to check out her Cat Seriesproject too!

Since I started browsing craftster over seven years ago, I like Misc the best! It's hard to fit the tins and dioramas into anything other than misc~

Gypsy Wagon Button Hoard Altoid Tin

What's your favorite creation that you've posted to Craftster?

My first diorama! It was the first piece that let me use my craft as art. And since then, I've started to incorporate the fantastic strange and ugly bits of the world into my art.

Dingy Kitchen

What's your favorite item on Craftster created by someone else?

It'd have to be this crazy octopus lamp that CohesiveChaos made. It was made out of crayola model magic and was just absolutely gorgeous. The pictures in her thread are no longer good, but there's a picture of it in this thread. But really, there's so many other fantastic projects on this website! Like I said earlier, everyone has contributed something inspiring into my own work, and I'm glad we have Craftster to share everything with the community.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Aislynn
Sewing in General Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2012 05:33:51 AM »

Congratulations crazyalien8!  You're such a fantastic artist, it's lovely to be able to hear your story!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2012 06:01:22 AM »

Congratz!  Crazyalien8, you have such incredible talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2012 07:20:10 AM »

I always enjoy our featured artist interviews! It's so fun to learn more from our talented craftster pals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2013" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: April 18, 2012 07:30:41 AM »

I'm a fan! I have always loved your work. Congrats on the feature.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like it? Check out my newly re-opened Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
crazyalien8

Neverending sculptor.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 25, 2012 08:44:15 PM »

THANKS GUYS!!  (Sorry for the last reply - yay finals~) This was super duper exciting and made my month. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LimeRiot

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2013 10:04:00 PM »

I'm excited to kick off 2013 by recognizing a wonderful crafty artist and all around awesome human, Jillybeans!! Jilly has contributed a long list of projects to our Miscellaneous corner of Craftster and every single one of them has brought a smile to my face. Her art and spirit are both so happy - and I would know because I've been lucky enough to meet her in person!!

Jilly recently took some time to tell us a little more about her crafty self. I hope you enjoy reading this interview as much as I did!

How long have you been crafting? What's the first thing you remember crafting?
Honestly, I can't remember a time in my life that I haven't been crafting.  My mom was, and still is, very support of my crafting love.  Though she was very crafty herself.  She made most of my clothing, and she cross stitched, painted pottery, and was practically a jack of all trades.  Even if we were tight on money, she always seemed to find the money to buy me new craft supplies.  One of my earliest crafts was a rubber band man that I made my mom and dad.  I was probably 3 or 4, and I grabbed some rubber bands, made a head and torso and then cut out really tiny arms and legs out of paper with tiny pieces of tape to hold it all together.  That thing lived on our basement door for the longest time.  Besides that, I did a lot of jewelry making and card making as a kid.  Most of my rubber stamp collection are ones I've had since I was a kid.  Probably some of my beads, too.

What's your favorite media to work with?
Currently my loves are watercolors and paper, as well as working with felt.  Though I go through phases of loving certain media.  Sometimes I will be all about making jewelry, or knitting on my knifty knitter, or cross stitching.  Both working with felt and watercolors are both newer mediums for me.

What inspires you?
Craftster!  I finally joined in 2011, excitedly awaited my month waiting period and started swapping!  Since then, my crafting has intensified ten fold!  I honestly can say I didn't craft as much as I do now.  It was always part of my life, but now it is a HUGE part of my life.  There are so many awesome swaps and each fills me up with so many new ideas.  My husband is also a huge inspiration to me.  He is always supporting me and helps me come up with new ideas when I'm stuck.  He is an amazing sounding board.

Do you have a crafty/creative philosophy?
If I had to think of one, it would probably be just have fun, or TRY ALL THE THINGS!  Since crafting should be fun and freeing and I eventually want to know it all!  I hope to soon learn how to crochet!  I've always wanted to learn, and I think this is the year for it!

On what other boards can Craftster members find your work?
Well, lets see:
Bath and Beauty
Cooking
Home Sweet Home
Image Reproduction Techniques
Jewelry and Trinkets
Knitting
More Art, Less Craft
Needlework
Occasions and Holidays
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking & ATCs
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay
Purses, Bags, Wallets
Quilting
Toys, Dolls and Playthings
LOTS AND LOTS in the Swap Galleries, though I try to give project I make in the swaps its own posting on the boards.

I do A LOT of ATCs, since I've been running the Ongoing ATC Swap for over a year now.  I also make a lot of freezer paper stenciled t-shirts.  My husband, dad and BIL love them, so they get quite a few.  I love to dabble in new things.  Last fall I took my very first pottery class, which I thoroughly enjoyed and was told that I excelled at.  Throwing was an incredible experience.  I hope to return to a new set of pottery classes soon.  Or, hey, maybe even a glass fusing class!  That would be fun!

What's your favorite creation that you've posted on Craftster?
Aw man, that's a hard question.  I love a lot of stuff I've made.  Being in so many swaps, my husband sees a lot of things made by me that leaves our place to its new home, and it makes him sad.  ^_^  He ends up wanting to keep a lot of it.  Well, I can't pick one, so I think my favorites are the Teesha Moore style Harry Potter Tote that I made for my SIL for her birthday or the Elmer's Sponsered Zentangle High Heels I made for my sister's birthday.  I had seen so many wonderful TM stuff that sheepBlue was making.  I immediately fell in love with the style of it.  I knew it was within my realm of abilities to try it, since it had almost no machine sewing to it, since I'm not great with a sewing machine.  Though, of course, to make it I would need to learn how to embroider.  ^_^  It was hard to give away, since it took over a month of work to complete, with my new embroidery skills.  I'm much quicker now.  My fingers developed some new callouses from that project.  The heels are something I dreamed up.  I always wanted to do some zentangles, and realized around the time I was doing projects for Elmers that it would make a great project for that.  They were so easy and so much fun.  I've made a few different pairs now, and I love each equally.  I know I'm not done making them, since I haven't even made a pair for myself yet.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=405039.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=407228.0

What's your favorite item on Craftster created by someone else?
Not a surprise to anyone, but I'm completely enamored by everything Knickertwist does.  Her "A Little House of Everyday Wonders" that she made for a swap partner is amazing!  
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=353043.0
I also love the work of sheepblue, as I mentioned, LimeRiot, cackle, rackycoo, and my crafty bff, gozer.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Jilly and for sharing so many inspiring and helpful projects with the entire Craftster community. You ROCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 24, 2013 05:36:32 AM »

Such a diversity of talent. Always enjoy seeing your projects and congratulations, jillybeans! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2013 08:45:23 AM »

Perfect choice LimR!  Jilly is an EPIC craftster crafter. And she is just as FABO in real life Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
gozer

If only Mogwai were real... at least we have Bigfoot

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2013 10:04:49 AM »

All your crafts are so amazing! You have an ability to think outside the box an create some very magical things. I didn't realize you were on so many boards! I am so glad we became friends. you inspire me everyday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Tom Brokaw on the Best Day in His Life
Lynda Obst on Hollywood and Foreign Markets
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...