A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 307,965
Currently Running With Scissors:
250 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Misc. Challenge number 1...Shrines! Post entries until March 13th  (Read 15649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009 05:08:21 PM »

That is so wonderful! It is just fascinating in a morbid way!  Now I dont know if I even want to post my own.  Okay, I will be brave.

Here is my shrine.  I have been feeling very nostolgic lately.  And Ive have been really longing for the time when my little girl (who turned 10 yesterday) was a toddler.  So I came across this photo of her.  It was taken when she was 3 at Myrtle Beach.  Now we have only been to the ocean that one time.  We miss it constantly.  I would love to be able to go back to the beach.  I would love to just move there.  So I guess this is a shrine to longing, longing for what was and longing for what is unattainable. 

I used a cigar box.  The front is embellished with a big shell and fabric paint.  I made a frame around the photo of flowers made of tiny colored sea shells.  The floor of the shrine is an assortment of shells and a small bottle that contains sea water.  One of the things we loved when we were in Myrtle Beach was the Spanish Moss hanging from the trees.  So I glued some dried Spanish moss to the ceiling of the shrine.  And I found the perfect quote to use "The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever"(Cousteau).

This is my first shrine.  I really like how it turned out.  And my daughter loves it, so I guess it will go to her.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
AsphaltQueen
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009 05:13:36 PM »

SimplyFabulous, I love your shrine! The shell flowers are awesome. I saw some art using that technique when I was in Sanibel Island. And that little, teeny, tiny bottle of shells - too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009 07:01:26 PM »

So cute!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Velvetdragon

we're all mad here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009 09:54:33 PM »

ars anima: I'm vegan, but I think dead things are beautiful. I think all life is awe-inspiring, the mind-blowing fact that such complexity has evolved, that it *works*. Animals are so gorgeous (bugs to sloths to majestic lions) and my appreciation extends to their inner workings, flesh and bone and sinew. I like your irreverent take on it as well.

simplyfabulous: Only once!!! Oh, I hope you can go back. I live in Portland, OR, only an hour and a half from the beach, and though I consider myself a child of the forest, rather than the ocean, I can't imagine not having access to it. Tidepools especially! I love the seashells, and your design on the front. It's a beautiful shrine, one I'd be happy to display in my own house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'Who are YOU?' said the caterpillar.

'I--I hardly know, sir, just at present-- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.'

http://velvetdragon.com
http://wists.com/Tserisa
http://twitter.com/tser/
robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009 10:33:03 PM »

ars_anima- I'm been a rat lover and rat mom for 7 years now. I find your shrine really stunning and definitely curious and I'd have to agree with Knickertwist in that I'd love a rat finger puppet one day! Really I'm on the hunt for a rat skull right now but I think that will have to wait. I might have to get down on this challenge.... Can't wait to see what other wonderful things come from this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2009 04:55:53 AM »

oh wow. I have just seen this challenge and I am so in, I am glad I have a bit more time. A question.. I assume that it has to be a new shrine, rather than somethign that we have already posted on craftster?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009 04:56:59 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desperately in search of popcorn flavourings-they don't sell them here Sad I have a new air popper and am stuck with boring flavours.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2009 11:44:59 AM »

Yep!  we're looking for new projects in this challenge.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2009 04:00:09 PM »

My entry is called womens bodies, war and peace

It is about the sadness I feel when I recognise how most women feel about their bodies. I tried to express how even the most beautiful woman is at war with herself, that women find it so hard to love and more importantly accept their bodies as they are. We starve ourselves, develop eating disorders, undergo plastic surgery, we give ourselves pain as we wax, tweeze, pluck. We tease our hair and contort our bodies to fit some ideal of beauty, we try to squeeze ourselves into the barbie doll mode and even the beautiful barbies amongst us think they are ugly. and yet we are all goddesses, if we could only see.

I took the barbie doll and made her blind and dumb, blind as we just dont see how beautiful we are...as we are...dumb because we are too slow to speak out against misogynistic advertising, against people who make money telling us that we are not pretty enough, those who tell us that we are unacceptable. That we need to change, so we start to think that its OK to cut into our bodies, Ok to remove the laughter lines, Ok to remove the stretch marks from carrying babies. Ok to Remove the rounded feminine beauty of ourselves.

She is also tied up, kept a submissive consumer, not a woman in charge of defining her own ideas of what is acceptable

Barbie (of course, the epitome of the brainwashing that starts early, telling us what is acceptable) carries a scalpel blade and she wears the marks of surgeons pen. Showing the areas to be cut to achieve beauty. barbie also sits on a pedestal. Society tends to put beauty on a pedestal and encourages the rest of us to gather around and to think that we are not beautiful too.

The gold coins represent how much money is made in keeping us all feeling ugly.

All of the images of bodies on the right side of the shrine (anorexic, before shots for plastic surgery) are all covered in a veil of pink glitter. This represents how much of a veil of acceptability is drawn over these acts of violence ,that we do to ourselves. This is created by the industries that that want us to feel insecure and ugly so that they can sell us more things. The dieting industry, cosmetic industries, plastic surgery industries, They have managed to convince us that we  really want this.  'you're worth it'. these industries are the people who hide the ugly truth that the pursuit of idealised standards of beauty is killing us.

Beside the gold coins is a little picture of myself at a time in my life when I hated my body the most. This shrine is dedicated to every single woman who ever felt ugly.

women that die from the results of surgery, they kill themselves through dieting or starvation, but less extreme..we just endure a lifetime of hating our beautiful bodies that carry us around. The skulls represent the little deaths we experience every day when we look in the mirror and feel sad because we dont like what we see.

the backdrop to my shrine is flowers, reflecting the real natural beauty that is in all of us.

The top section of the shrine shows the trophy that we strive for, The prize of knowing that we are the prettiest, there is also a little hair curler, tweezers and bling to represent how we, every day, work towards these things. We want to have the acclaim of others, because we are tragically unable to feel pretty ourselves.

At the top of the shrine is Kwan Yin, the goddess of compassion, she sits next to our despair, because first of all we need to have compassion for ourselves in our feelings towards our bodies, especially when we despair of ever loving outselves

this shrine is not just about my despair of how hard we are on ourselves as women, it also offers some steps towards a solution, some words and actions that might help.
also covered in glitter, but this time representing sparkles of joy.

And last of all on the back, is my story, my history of my feelings towards my body, where my feelings about my body came from and the path that I am on to acceptance. I am learning to stop the conflict of my bad feelings towards the strong healthy body that I have.

I know that the shrine seems despairing, but in essence it is not, it is a celebration, that despite the relentless pressures of having to conform, having to be beautiful, women still survive, they triumph. To most women, eventually, a sense of acceptance and ease with our bodies eventually arrives. OK it might not stick around 100% of the time, but women are beautiful, strong and resilient. We get there in the end.

Construction details, the shrine itself was made with papier mache layers over cardboard, few coats of paint, elements added, with a ton of glitter..I am addicted to the stuff!! I hope you like it and that I have managed to get my feelings expressed with the images.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009 04:11:51 PM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Desperately in search of popcorn flavourings-they don't sell them here Sad I have a new air popper and am stuck with boring flavours.

www.pinterest.com/edelc
calluna
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2009 04:51:49 PM »

Wow...This is going to take some time to adequately look through and admire and comment on...Very nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm living/working in Yosemite Nat'l Park til further notice! Blogging about it here. No swapping for me, and minimal crafting time, for the coming months. Almost done with library school! That sums things up for now.
thanate
wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009 04:52:51 PM »

Something a little more traditional: When people start talking about shrines, my mind always goes back to medieval reliquaries-- fantastic containers of all shapes and sizes that were created to hold body parts and worldly possessions of dead saints.  So from that, and some lovely antique map wrapping paper that I got out while working on the matchbox swap, this is what I put together:

Shrine of the Unknown Saint (a reflection, if you want an artsy title, on the concepts of medieval art and reverence)

Despite starting with the Catholic concept of the reliquary, I also ended up including a very Orthodox Icon-like picture of a generic (probably Byzantine, from the dress) saint.  Lots of gold, shrink plastic imitating wood.  Candles in elaborate holders (er, please disregard that they are actually touching the draperies...) and real silk hangings strung with (glass) carnelian beads.  Richness is very important; if your church can't afford to keep your saint's relic in style, possibly the saint will decide (through the agency of someone running off with the relic, that is) to move to some other church.  Some of the stories about rivalries between churches and monasteries got pretty exciting...

Closed.  Yes, this is very small.  (I want to add a genuine rotating latch, but I haven't found one small enough.)

And open.  Further pictures, and the relic (which is worthy of Chaucer's pardoner) can be seen: in this thread.  

That was fun! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...