A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,972
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Evil Fabric/Pattern  (Read 1819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ginadaniels
« on: February 12, 2009 12:28:58 PM »

Grr.

So I have this nice New Look Pattern 6803 and I was going to do view D (the lighter coloured short tunic) in a great patterned stretch satin.

No matter how many times I try and line up the collar piece and sew it to the shirt it just WILL NOT LINE UP! Stretch Satin is EVIL.

I've ruined several yards of this stuff trying to get it right. Good thing it was in the sale bin...

Wait, maybe that's why it was in the sale bin...

You know what's even worse? When I get really frustrated with a project, instead of just walking away or putting it away for the evening I keep working away at it, thinking I'll fix it and eventually I get so frustrated I just cut it into scraps in a fit. (I'm such a child when I lose my patience.)

Anyone else have EVIL fabric stories, or patterns that you know are easy, completely understand how to construct but try as you might just can NOT complete?

Share your EVIL Fabric/Pattern combos here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success is the art of being able to make money doing what you love.
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009 11:10:22 AM »

It's not fabric pattern, but similar...stenciling onto black fabric.

The first time I tried to freezer paper stencil on a black shirt... *die*

The bf insisted their team shirts be black with yellow paint. I spent forEVER putting layer after layer of paint only to watch it slowly but surely sink away into the evil t-shit. To this day I don't think he is satisfied with it. I tell him just to look at it as 'aged', ok?!?! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueCattledog
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009 10:46:51 AM »

I have a fabric ghost that's been haunting my studio for months now.  It's not evil, it just sits there and looks sad and moans softly whenever I go near it.

Last year, an older friend and teacher of mine, lost her best friend to cancer.  Since she was declared Executor of her estate, she took care of auctioning the property and possessions, dealing with squabbling relatives of the deceased, making arrangements for her dogs, and all the other work that goes with that.  It was a lot of work, in addition to grieving for her friend and going through health issues of her own.

One day she called me in tears, asking if I would take some curtains from the deceased's home, and try to make her something out of the fabric (like a keepsake).  I said "yes," without thinking... which was a bad choice.

These curtains turned out to be a carload of huge, heavy, lined drapes with fringe and tassels and many water stains.  I took them as cheerfully as I could, but at home I cut off the linings (nasty) and discarded everything with the water stains.  I saved some of the miles of fringe and a few tassels.  What I have left is a tall stack of folded curtain material with horrid big blue flowers and green leaves.  It's flimsy and shifty, not suitable for quilting or anything else that I can think of.

Does anyone have sixteen singing kids who need playclothes???  This is like The Sound of Music gone bad (and sad).

I feel sorry that I said I would do this, but now can't think of a thing to make.  Not a single thing.  I'm hoping that if I wait long enough, maybe my friend will forget.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009 01:54:59 PM »

I think you're overthinking it a little. I tend to do that too.

Make her a pair of throw pillows. Put a sturdy layer of fabric behind the flimsy stuff and trim them with the fringe and tassels. You can use a purchased pillow form to make it simpler. She can hug a pillow when she's missing her friend. She can enjoy them, or put them out of sight at times when the reminder's too much.

Simple. Quick. A memento of manageable size that won't overwhelm your friend. Then you can get rid of the giant stack that torments you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009 04:16:44 PM »

homebunnyj: that's exactly what I thought when I read Bluecattledog's post! A pair of cushions, and maybe one of those round... uh... hot-dog-shaped pillows would be nice too. (On an aside, my fave piece of my gramma's estate is actually her black satin opera gloves. She probably hadn't worn them since sometime in the 70s, but she was such a glamorous lady that I love thinking about her wearing them.)

My evilest fabric EVAR was (IS! arg, I don't have the heart to toss large pieces of fabric) this burgundy/black polyester taffeta-type stuff. It ravels like mad!!! I iron it and iron and iron, and it is wrinkled again within moments. I made my Hallowe'en costume a few years ago within a matter of hours. I was a victorian prostitute, but most people thought I was a pirate wench Tongue I used http://trulyvictorian.com/catalog/460.html (1885 bodice) in the evening option without sleeves to make the top, and winged a darted tube skirt with front gathering-strings. If I had been using a half-decent fabric (LIKE OMG COTTON!!!!) it wouldn't have taken FOUR EFFING HOURS. I probably could have cut, fitted, sewn, grommetted and dressed in only two hours if it weren't for that devil's spawn I bought out of the remnant bin. Needless to say, I was late getting to the bar.

My evilest pattern was Simplicity 5726. It's an out-of-print historical pattern of 1850's petticoat, chemise and corset. I bought it for the corset. I made a muslin. It didn't fit. I took it apart. I trimmed it down. Still didn't fit. Gave up. Almost a year later, I made another muslin 2 sizes smaller than it told me to. STILL DIDN"T FIT. Gave up again. 6 months after that I costumed a play and had to buy a couple Truly Victorian patterns, so I bought TV110 for me. THAT corset pattern went together so smooth, even with my amateur skills at the time, it only took 3 or 4 days of casually working on it (I don't recall exactly, but not long, given the complexity and the number of "breaks" I took Tongue).

The key to stretchy stuff is to make sure both halves of the folded fabric are at the same tension. My first jersey shirt taught me that *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009 12:41:22 PM »

I have a fabric ghost that's been haunting my studio for months now.  It's not evil, it just sits there and looks sad and moans softly whenever I go near it.

Last year, an older friend and teacher of mine, lost her best friend to cancer.  Since she was declared Executor of her estate, she took care of auctioning the property and possessions, dealing with squabbling relatives of the deceased, making arrangements for her dogs, and all the other work that goes with that.  It was a lot of work, in addition to grieving for her friend and going through health issues of her own.

One day she called me in tears, asking if I would take some curtains from the deceased's home, and try to make her something out of the fabric (like a keepsake).  I said "yes," without thinking... which was a bad choice.

These curtains turned out to be a carload of huge, heavy, lined drapes with fringe and tassels and many water stains.  I took them as cheerfully as I could, but at home I cut off the linings (nasty) and discarded everything with the water stains.  I saved some of the miles of fringe and a few tassels.  What I have left is a tall stack of folded curtain material with horrid big blue flowers and green leaves.  It's flimsy and shifty, not suitable for quilting or anything else that I can think of.

Does anyone have sixteen singing kids who need playclothes???  This is like The Sound of Music gone bad (and sad).

I feel sorry that I said I would do this, but now can't think of a thing to make.  Not a single thing.  I'm hoping that if I wait long enough, maybe my friend will forget.   Cry

Cry That made me sad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009 04:51:16 AM »

BlueCattleDog, you could post a picture of the fabric, maybe that gives us an idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Getting More Out of Lightroom 2
Clarity Setting in Lightroom 2
How to Perform Local Correction in Lightroom 2
Learn About Hue/Saturation in Lightroom 2
How to Use The Develop Module in Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...