A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
811 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pretty Capes finally finished! *Now with Tute*  (Read 2705 times)
Tags for this thread: cape , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenporcelaindoll
« on: February 12, 2009 11:40:24 AM »

Phew!  Finally finished the little capes for my nieces.  I added little cute pockets to them...

The pink one originally had a delicate daisy edge detail, but the stuff was a nightmare to work with so I sort of... tore it off in a fit of frustration... Ahem.

C+C welcome.

So!  Tutorial:

The measurements are quite simple for this design:
A:  shoulder-base of neck
B:  arm down to elbow or desired length if longer
C:  forhead to back of head (not circumference - a straight line estimate)
D:  Base of neck to top of head (another straight line)
E:  Neck Circumference

You will need:
outer fabric, wool suiting fabric works well for this
visible lining, I used a cotton blend, but a colourful fleece or satin would also work
inner lining, fleece or wadding or something else nice and warm and insulating
embroidery floss and ribbon in complimentary colours to the lining

To start with, cut the cape and hood pieces as per the above image.  I cut the cape as 1 half circle and 1 quarter circle, then cut the quarter circle in half, for each fabric.  Cut 2 hood pieces from each fabric.  Add a 1 inch seam allowance to the linings, and a 1.5 inch allowance to the outer fabric.

Start with the outer fabric:  Sew the  2 hood pieces together from the top left corner, around the curve to the base of the neck.  Take the 2 pieces from your quarter circle and sew them to the half circle as per the diagram.  Sew this to the hood at the neck.  Make sure all seams are facing the same way!

Turn the edges of the completed outer piece in half an inch, turning so that the rough edge will be on the same side of the fabric as the seams.

Complete the 2 lining pieces the same way, but do not finish the edges:  Leave them rough.

Pin the linings to the outer cape with all fabrics the right side out - you will note that the outer fabric is larger than the linings.  Turn the outer fabric inwards, folding it over the linings, and pin in place.  Hand sew, with thread showing on the inside only, all around this edge at the point where the stiching from the finished edge of the wool sits.  (See diagram below if my words make no sense!)

Once this is all done, the main body of the cape will be finished.

I then used this pocket pattern:
http://faithsongmusic.com/ONLINE/PocketPatternSmall.pdf

Make 2 pieces of the pocket - 1 from the outer fabric and 1 from the outer lining fabric.  Make the piece for the lining fabric about 1/2 inch higher than the outer fabric piece.  Fold over the top edge of the lining pocket piece at about 1/8 inch thickness and sew to neaten the edge.  Then, take 2 pieces of your chosen ribbon and sew one end of each to either top end of the outside of the outer fabric pocket piece. 

Pin the 2 pocket pieces together, right sides facing out, and make a small slit in the lining piece, about 1/4 inch long and centred just below the folded edge.  Slip the loose ends of the ribbons through this, then fold the excess lining pocket fabric over the outer pocket piece. 

Pin this all in place on the cape and hand-sew it, using the embroidery thread, to secure the pocket to the cape and the folded top edge of the pocket lining to the outer pocket piece.  Do not let the embroidery thread pass through the linings in the cape - you don't want it to show!

If adding ribbon or lace to the edge, do so now.  Finally, add any clasps or closures you want to the front, and any extra embellishments.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009 03:32:30 PM by brokenporcelaindoll - Reason: tute added » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009 12:27:16 PM »

These are really cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
budpiper
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009 02:08:23 PM »

wow they are sooooo cute! how clever you are. did you use a pattern or just wing it? i would love to make some for my girls, how long did they take you to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009 02:58:41 PM »

I sort-of winged it... looked online at what other people did and worked from there.  Could give you a tute, if you like.  These took me WEEKS, but that was only because I hand-sewed them, had never done it before, ran out of materials, made mistakes and had to remove and restart sections, etc!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
budpiper
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009 11:44:53 PM »

i am so impressed that you sewed these both by hand, you must be extremely patience and to top it all off you did a tute! truely amazing! thank you so much for the tute, im gona have to give it a go for my 2 girls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following and Reading Directions
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...