A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,177
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A Family Craft Room!  (Read 7789 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room , template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2009 10:31:04 AM »

So my New Year's goal was to finish up the craft room. I've been working on it sporadically for the past couple of years and now it's all done! Of course I have a ton of pics!

I painted the door ala Sticks, to set the mood. It makes the end of the hallway look very cool! This side of the door has some crows and starlings on it, which I love, and then the four seasons are represented going around the edges.

The craft room side of the door, you won't really ever see unless you are in the craft room with the door closed. So I just put crafty things and some fun things on that side. The quote at the top says, "Some pursue happiness, others CREATE it."

Okay, so here's the working part of the craft room. It has to accommodate a whole family of creative people, so it has workstations for my sewing machine, Chad's miniature painting, and the kids. (And my future parrot!) First thing we did was put in some flourescent can lighting, put in the crown molding, paint and put in a floating Pergo floor. I made certain to use a floating floor so that if it gets trashed then it will be easy to remove and replace.

Here is where Chad paints his little warhammer guys and then the kids get the remaining corner, though I usually find them crafting on the floor instead. The upper cabinets are from IKEA.

Notice the handy paper towel holder and old-school pencil sharpener. I specifically made the counter a floating counter (more on that in a bit) and we all have rolling drawer cabinets, so the floor is very easy to clean - yay! It also makes it easy to adjust the size of the workspaces in case you need to spread out.

The floating countertop. This was my first time using my router! It is made of two layers of particle board, with laminate on top. It is almost 2' deep. The entire countertop is in two pieces for maneuverability. First I screwed a wall cleat along the entire length at the height I wanted (it is painted blue to blend in). Then I got these Speedbraces off Amazon and put them on each wall stud. (They are about 20 bucks each, so that was the most expensive part of the countertop). Then I cut the first layer of particle board, using a template I made to router the curves perfectly. Then I attached a second layer and routered the edges of that flush with the first, and cut grommet holes for electrical cords. Then put on the laminate. It is pretty solid! The only problem that I ran into is that there was an electrical run in the wall exactly where I wanted to screw the braces into the studs. I had to open up the wall in those spots to make sure I wouldn't electrocute myself while screwing them in.

The curtains I made to match the door. I just sewed white curtains and then used wonder under to fuse some checkered fabric strips and ribbon onto them.

Closet doors. We replaced the old bypass doors with bifold doors. I prefer bifold doors because you can have both sides open at the same time. To make them cute, I painted two sections with chalkboard paint (one for each child), and then had an old mirror cut to fit another door, and had a piece of sheet metal cut to fit the last one for magnets.

Inside of the closet! It's a big mess already! We placed the shelves once we knew how big the storage drawers and cubes were, so they fit perfectly.

This is my favorite part! I lurked on craigslist for forever waiting for a built-in ironing board and I finally found one for 35 bucks! New ones are over 400 dollars! Woo hoo! It was almond colored and I took it apart and painted it.

Here's the inside! It even swivels out! I made a new ironing board cover for it too.

That's about it! I'm so pleased about how it came out and It's gotten a ton of use already!  Grin Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009 08:46:02 AM by sugarbeth - Reason: typo! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009 10:40:27 AM »

I am green with envy.  I am also filled with crafty admiration.  That room is amazing, and how great to have a place to craft as a family!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nfirehazzard

Purple monkey dishwashers!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009 10:43:46 AM »

If i could be half this organized about my crafting... I might be able to con my hubby into letting me buy more yarn..lol. Congratz this looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009 11:49:56 AM »

so incredibly cool - I LOVE the door and the ironing board most of all and I will join the envy club in how I feel about your beautiful organized room!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
JLMS
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009 12:40:23 PM »

I don't know what I love the most. Maybe it is all the bright colors. This is a wonderful, creative room! Thanks for the insipration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danirene
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009 12:46:31 PM »

That ironing board is a fantastic find! nice work.

This room is gorgeous... my jealousy is overwhelming.

Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sugarbeth
no such thing as too many projects!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009 03:14:10 PM »

Thanks everybody!

thisbirdsabsurd - I just had to comment on your cute grey! That is the kind of bird I'm hoping to adopt in the (hopefully) near future. Smiley I'm sure a lot of the crafting that will be happening in this room will be bird-related! My daughter is already making toys for her budgies, we have a huge bin full of toy parts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beth
crafty momma to Lilu and Toby
Martin Handmade Tile
TracyInNH

Nectar of the gods...

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009 06:02:14 PM »

Love it Love it Love it!!  I like the simple blue and white with the mirror and iron board door the color.  Beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.
thisbirdsabsurd

Be Happy!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009 08:55:45 PM »

Sugarbeth - I have three greys - as well as several others.  They are a joy - so funny and I'm sure they'll be an inspiration for future crafting! (They love to help.) Cheesy  If you need any info I'd be happy to help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009 05:43:52 AM »

This room makes me so HAPPY!

From the very inviting outside door to the closet doors to the ironing board door, it's just so JOYFUL!

And it sounds like a place of family harmony........ Yay for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @Melanee
5 Ways To Wear Bermuda Shorts
Selena Gomez Gets Sexy in Sequins and Lace
Learn How to Hem Your Jeans
H&M Designs Sustainable Evening Wear Collection
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...