A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,803
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sew frustrated!! Skipped stitched on multiple layers of fabric  (Read 352 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewjayded
« on: February 12, 2009 06:18:50 AM »

I have an older model Elna Quiltering machine and it has beautiful stitches...most of the time.  When I make purses (which is mostly what I do) and topstitch around the upper edge I have terrible results.  It usually happens when I'm sewing over the handles which are 4 layers of fabric, 2 layers of interfacing, plus the outer fabric and lining both turned down.  I typically use a walking foot to get over all of those layers.  Sometimes it'll skip 5 or 6 stitches and sometimes the thread will just break which is incredibly annoying!!  How often should I change the needle?  I just changed to a brand new one before the previous project.  Do I maybe need to switch to a heavier duty needle just for that edge?  Maybe I need to have the machine serviced as well, I haven't done it yet and I bought it used 6 months ago.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!  I'm very frustrated. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009 04:48:24 AM »

The TYPE of needle might be the issue.  If you are sewing dense or heavy fabric with an universal needle, you are not making things easy for your machine at all.

An universal point is a hybrid of sorts- not quite a sharp and not quite a ball point - but rather somewhere in the middle.

Also, the thread type will also come into play when choosing a needle size.  Are you using heavier thread or regular, all-purpose thread?

Now, it is also entirely p[ossible that the timing on the machine is slightly off, especially since you been doing a bit of heavy sewing with it and you don't know when it was serviced last.  I can tell my looking if the timing is off, but it's tough to see from here  Grin

I do have some links from my blog that show how to inspect the needle bar deth and hoo/ needle timing on the Resources for DIY Repair and Maintenance page.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Burning Man Sculpture Artist Marco Cochrane
Hong String Project 1
String Tongue I_single Channel Video_performance_2000.Wmv
Hong String Project 2
White Cube_cotton String_350 X 350 X 350(Cm)_2000.Wmv
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...