A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you store your seed beads?  (Read 6088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009 07:41:56 AM »

This subject is something I have been wanting to include on my website. It is a great thread!

Because I like to use multiple colors, in my looming, I too had to think about the most convenient and secure way to store my seed beads. Here is what I decided to do and it has been working out perfect, for many years!

I purchase the 'twist stackable' containers. Every new bead color, I carefully remove the label from the purchased container, stick it to the inside bottom of the stackable, mark the outside with the Delica number, for instance. Then stack and store in areas of Delica number. I have about 420 Delica colors, and also keep an Excel Sheet of them, prices, etc.

The best part is when I want to select a color, for my new looming idea, I can see the colors, select by untwisting and re-twisting into the new looming stack. To use the selected colors, I untwist during looming. If I want to close up quickly, they just twist together, but keep my bead selections handy.

Of course, this does take time, because I make sure each number is put back into it's number space when finished, and also reorder any color that is used more then another, by the label 'inside' of the container (this way the label won't fall off if put outside).

One word of advice....'buy and use the same stackable twist containers, from the same supplier/company. Switching the brand can make a mess as the 'threads' on each brand of stackables are different. That causes the containers to fall apart even when you think they are stacked securely! It may be best to buy quantity of a brand, if you think your stash may grow... just in case!!!

Visit My Gallery of Bead Art:

Join in to learn about Bead Looming:
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ex Bonis Aardy

Hug the bushbaby! Evil does not wear a Bonnet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009 11:52:36 AM »

I have several different types of storage.

The first I got was this zip up bag with differetly divided section pocket flaps inside, which I used lots of tubes & cylinders to fill.

Then I bought an 'ArtBin' small bag (on the left) with 5 trays, to which I added another thin tray for good measure. Later I bought a Craft Mates storage tote (on right) - these are really good cause each of the little sections lid has a lock so it cant just pop open when being carried or dropped.

Most recently I have bought my self two Dotbox Small boxes - there are several different sized containers in each of these and you can either buy a carrybox with a variety in it or an empty carry box and the singles to fill it as you wish.

(And just so show her off) I recently treated myself to this:

This is Genevieve (or Gennie for short). She is to save my poor aching back & shoulders when I want to carry all my beads - all the other containers fit inside her plus a few other random boxes & bags  Grin

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009 04:03:35 PM »

Wow and I thought I was fancy with my bookbag full of bead tubes. You guys have such extensive collections! Eek, I see my future... =P
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009 11:26:41 AM »

Thank you, never would of thought of such things I appreciate it since I have a lot of seed beeds from my jewelry making and don't want them all over the place.

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009 04:39:24 PM »

I use hotel shampoo bottles.  Back when people used film, I also used film cannisters.  I would use the lids for bowls and pour some beads into them to use them.  I also had a little funnel handy for putting them away.  Baby food jars would do nicely.  Find and friend or a neighbor with an older baby and you're set!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009 07:04:09 PM »

I use the flip stackable containers too.  They work get! I get mine at the dollarama $1.25 for a stack with 8 compartments.  You can also use pill containers that stack

Ruler of Geek

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009 03:04:43 PM »

i second beadsbeadingbeaded's idea, i don't do much beading now but my first beading "kit" my beads came in one of those stackers and they really are fab, available in a variety of sizes and usually at a reasonable price

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009 03:37:28 PM »

I store all of my seed beads (that don't come in the tubes) in little "Zip-Lock" type bags. It seems like most places that carry beads now sell packs of the baggies. Then I store the baggies of beads in small storage boxes (and if I hadn't already owned these then I would be using shoe boxes).

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009 10:58:39 PM »

In case anybody else was looking for bead storage in the UK, I found these that are either located in or ship to the UK:

"Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures."

I'm your thing in a jar...all illuminated

valerian dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2010 11:09:42 AM »

Between my mother and I, we take a lot of prescription meds, so I use those containers. 

"see, if we all thought the same way, we'd all have the same ideas.  it's a good thing to be different.  but minowis...what ARE you doing with that?"

CHOWI!!  I'm swapping again!
Dotees Round 9
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celeb Beauty Fixes for Women on the Go
Freshen Up Your Face: Easy Exfoliation
Va Va Voom: Volumize with Dry Shampoo
Tinted Moisturizer: Conceal & Brighten
Two Anti Aging Sunscreen Solutions
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...