A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 6 pointed star baby afghan  (Read 3303 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hipmama1970
« on: February 11, 2009 05:19:49 PM »

This is a baby blanket I made from the Annie's Attic Six-Pointed Star pattern. The original pattern makes a blanket that's 69" in diameter, I just stopped after I reached about 40". As you can see, it was past the point where the star reaches 24 points.

I had a few questions, and I went ahead and figured them out because I couldn't find any help anywhere. So, I figured I'd tell you all what I figured out, then if someone else makes this, maybe it will go a little easier. You all have done that 6 jillion times for me, so I hope this helps someone sometime! Smiley

I had to start it over after it went to 12 points, because the middle bit (the white in my version) was WAY too loose. The white bits are the only places where you use double crochet, and it started rolling up into a concave surface. When I started over, I used a smaller hook on the dc parts, and it worked up just fine. I don't think this is a pattern flaw. I don't sc very often, and that's when this pattern gets complicated, so I think I just clamped down when I got there. It's OK, though, now I have a pointy bowl made out of yarn in case I should ever need one.   Wink

If I were to make this blanket again, I wouldn't work in BLO. It ended up having a very sharp appearance, and I think it would be just fine without it. Especially for a baby blanket, there was just too much going on.

It's a beautiful and well-written pattern. There were a few times when I thought, "This can't be right," but I just held on and did what it said and I ended up in the right place.

One more comment, there is a LOT of counting involved to keep this project on track. It's not one of those patterns where you "get the rhythm" and can just go off on your own. I needed to refer to the pattern every step of every way, and if I slacked in the counting I'd end up with the wrong number of stitches. (Not bad enough to have to frog it, I just "fudged" it to the right number of stitches, and it was pretty forgiving. I'm not proud, but I was under a deadline...) So, if that's not your thing, you'd probably do better with a different pattern. That's not normally my thing, but I really feel like the end result was worth it! It's just a gorgeous blanket!

Thanks for looking, I'm so excited about this project!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
sherlynnmills
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009 05:32:02 PM »

Thats really neat how the point of the star changes... hmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loca4crafts
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009 06:28:11 PM »

I love this afghan and think I need to try one.  Beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imacuckoo
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009 06:33:11 PM »

Beautiful! That's a lucky baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's something wrong with me...i'm a cuckoo!
hipmama1970
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009 09:35:09 PM »

Thank you! It really was a lot of fun Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethr311
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009 09:46:38 PM »

That's just gorgeous, you did a great job!  I like this much better than the five point afghan, I just hate paying for patterns. 

I think I like the back loop only, it gives the finished product more texture.  IMHO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hipmama1970
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009 12:07:04 PM »

I think the BLO would be better on a full-sized afghan, because it would help delineate the pattern when you can't see the whole piece (like it's folded or you're all wrapped in it. Since the baby one was just the middle part, it didn't seem as necessary. It looked fine, though, and I think it turned out well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninja_knitter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009 07:28:49 AM »

great work! beautiful afghan, I'm jealous of whatever baby is getting it as a present (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamirive
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009 07:38:36 AM »

That is awesome! If I stare at it too long it starts to move! Great work! Off to fin the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Young Artists Brighten Up New Orleans
NY Artist Martin Abrahams "Breaks on Through" With His Provacative Art Show
WIND SQUID #3 - Space Battle!
WIND SQUID #4 - Massive Explosion
WIND SQUID #5 - Space Pirates!
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...