A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,224
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: February Featured Hooker: Meet meekssandygirl!  (Read 1957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 11, 2009 08:49:53 AM »

Each month, Craftster Crochet will be featuring a new member.  If you have suggestions for members you'd like to see featured here, please PM the crochet moderator, antarcticraft (that's me!).

To start us off, this month's special stitcher is meekssandygirl! Sandy Meeks has been a member of Craftster for less than a year (since May, 2008) but has already inspired us with her colorful, whimsical creations, like her Heart Mansion, Mushroom House, Guitar Hero Scarf, and her Wedgewood Easter Eggs.

Hello, meekssandygirl!

Crafter Bio: I was an art major in college when I met my husband in 1992 in our painting class (he too is an artist). We have 2 children, age 13 and 2. After running a local business for many years I am now a stay at home mom to my 2 year old. Art and music have been a passion of mine since I was a small child due to growing up with a creative mother and a father who had toured all over Europe and saw the most famous and historic art and architecture in the world. My mother is an excellent seamstress, always creating different things through sewing, crocheting, embroidery, quilting, you name it she can do it. Their influence led to create the artist that I am.

Q: When did you first start crocheting? Why? Do you remember your first project?

My mother tried to teach me as a small girl but I couldn't figure it out. It wasn't until I was 25 I asked her to show me again and it just clicked. I am now 35 years old. My first project was a loopy terribly crooked blanket made for a friend, it was just awful, all 4 edges were just as crooked as can be!

Q: What do you make? Do you have any favorite kinds of projects, or projects you don't like to do?

I like to make 3-d type things, sculptures, I tend to like to make things that have a lot of adornment.

Q: What is your "crochet philosophy?"

To show people that when you say "crochet" it is not just about granny square blankets and doilies.

Q: Do you have any crochet favorites (stitches, accessories, yarn, designers, etc.)?

I collect and recycle cashmere yarn, it is my favorite.

Q: Do you do any other crafts?

I have pretty much tried everything when I was younger, I didn't like sewing too much, i was always afraid of sewing my fingers together! LOL! I won't even touch my mom's serger!!!

Q: What are you interested in crocheting in the future?

To continue my 3-D sculptures.

Q: Do you have any advice for new crocheters, or hookers who want to start designing their own projects?

Have fun, don't get discouraged, keep trying. Sometimes I have to rip something out over and over again until I get it right.

Q:What is your favorite crochet project that someone else has posted on Craftster?

Gosh there are soo many great projects, it would be hard to choose, I am so inspired by soo many people on here.

Q:What are some sources of inspiration for you as a crocheter (television shows, designers, nature, etc.)?

I am an artist, it is anything and everything around me.

Q:Where do you usually crochet (coffee shops, the couch, craft room)?

On my couch.

*************************************************************************************************************

Thanks for the interview, meekssandygirl! We look forward to seeing more of your fantastic creations in the future!

Craftsters: Feel free to ask your own questions, or just say hello!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009 09:13:00 AM by antarcticraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009 12:30:26 PM »

How fun! I love to put a face and info with projects I've seen. Nice to "meet ya" Sandy!  I loooove the mushroom house!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
bsonlytoots

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009 12:21:56 PM »

HI! I love this idea of meeting a featured hooker! Hehe!  I love your  work (especially the heart mansion) you are awesome! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009 02:52:18 PM »

I agree - the scultpure-ish element to your work is so cool, and really inspiring. I love all the tiny elements and extra details that you add!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
travellingcyn
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009 12:07:00 PM »

Hey there!
This is a cool idea! And I totally LOVE your wedgewood eggs - my aim is to one day crochet something that fine and beautiful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 01:57:32 AM »

Wow, I love your work. As a total crochet beginner, it's really inspiring :-) Congratulations on being a featured hooker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Unconventional Cropping
How to Create Rembrandt Lighting
How to Create Backlight Photography
How to Use a Ringflash
How to Interact with model in photo shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...