A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wolves, and Palms, and a Dragon- Oh My! (Lots of Pictures- be warned)  (Read 1377 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 10, 2009 11:15:51 PM »

I figured I'd just create one big post with pictures of my cross stitch pieces, since I've sort of been lurking around.  I'm really not great at taking pictures so some of these sort of look weird.  I'm also pretty lazy about getting stuff like this posted so it's all going up at once. 

Here's my cross stitch portfolio (mostly- my mom needs to send a shot of two I made for her this Christmas, and I need to take one of the small sampler I made my fiance for Valentines Day 07).

This is the first piece I ever stitched during August and September 2003.  I made it for a boyfriend at the time.  Since then I got rid of him and kept the piece.  I think I made the right choice.  This is a Dimensions kit titled "A Pair of Wolves"

For my second piece I started a Native American style spirit wolf.  This one kept getting put down thanks to life getting in the way, but finally ended up completed in September 05.  I messed up the top, but by the time I realized it I just modified it since it was so far along.  It still looks somewhat decent, and I figure it can't be that bad for only my second piece.  This was a Creative Accents kit called "Native Wolf."

During a two week vacation at the end of September and beginning of October 05 I managed to knock this little wolf pattern out.  It was a lot of fun, and I rather like the way the pattern looks on the left side of the wolf.  If I were to do it over, I think I would now add some beads to the pattern, just to jazz it up a little and make it sparkle.  This pattern comes from the Janlynn Wild Life Series and is titled "Wolf."

In between there should be a Remember the Ladies pattern called "My Heart is True."  I need to get a picture of this one so I can show it off.  It came out a lot better than I expected, since it was my very first piece worked on 32 count linen with Kreinik Silk thread.  That was an experience light years away from the prior couple of patterns. 

Next up is a Mill Hill Buttons & Beads pattern called "Lakeside Retreat."
I made this one as a Mother's Day gift before I moved to Alaska in 07.  My mom went wild over it!  I was a little concerned since I had never before worked on that perforated paper, nor had I used beads as a part of my stitching other than an occasional embellishment.  I love the way the beads add such texture to the piece!  This one was really difficult to give away for that reason. 

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/Chairs_Spring_07.jpg (same piece, different picture, doesn't seem like it has as large holes between the stitches.)

This little piece is one I picked up at the NH Highland Games in 06.  It was a kit by Textile Heritage called "Welsh Dragon."  I meant to pick it up and finish it that weekend, but I didn't have enough down time to do so.  Somehow my stitchin' stuff ate it until I was unpacking from my move during Summer 07.  I needed a distraction from the large piece I was working on, and felt badly that the little dragon wasn't completed so I took a break and finished it in one evening. 

Another distraction piece while I was stitching the Stately Palm.  This one is a little Stitch n' Hang entitled "Good Luck Palm" that I picked up for a penny during a big sale at the Michaels in Anchorage.  It only took a night or two.

This Dimensions piece called "Stately Palm" is the largest piece I have completed (so far).  It took about a year, involved a lot of little breaks and distractions, but really wasn't that bad if I had just sat down and done it.  I'm just glad I DID finish it this past summer.

It looks a lot better than that in person, and I still have to mount it on some of that backing stuff so I can frame it.  I have just been really lazy about that part...  Here's a close up of the palm itself.  I really like the way the leaves look.  I sort of have a theme going with palms as my decor, so I still feel particularly drawn to this one.

Finally here's one last little wolf (all most forgotten!).  This was a little Janlynn kit called "Wolf."  I started this one a while ago. I think it was back in 05 after I finished another wolf piece. It turned up in my stitchin' stuff this winter when I was organizing and I figured I should finish it. Not the best piece I've ever done, it was a true testament to why friends don't let friends stitch tired. I idiotically read the pattern wrong and had a good 50% of the white in the cloud wolf's face stitched in dark blue rather than white. Let's just say it's not as much fun when you have to rip out a ton of stitches and start over the same area again...

I have a couple more small ones I stitched for my mother as Christmas gifts, but now I'm waiting for her to take some pictures for me since I forgot to before I wrapped them. 

Yay!  I'm glad I could share them with you.  Nothing too special or creative so far, just little kits, but I have been getting so many ideas from the rest of you I hardly know which one to begin with!  I have a feeling I will be able to mark my pieces as Before Craftster and After Craftster now.   Grin
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009 10:36:22 PM by Listessa » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
superhurm
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009 01:50:24 AM »

These are great! I love cross stitching but rarely get the time anymore, so I know how much work must have gone into these pieces.  I really like the one of the wolf with the red pattern on the lefthand side.  Keep sharing your pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiberartsy

That rug really tied the room together.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009 05:55:38 AM »

Those look great!!  I really like the palm tree and the wolves are beautiful!!  You have real patience! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaleAngelLex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009 03:00:11 PM »

Great work. You're large palm one is awesome. I don't think I could finish something that large. I can't wait to see more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Blog at TehTable
Wist
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009 08:27:47 PM »

All of those are great. It's hard to pick a favorite.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009 11:52:10 AM »

Thank you so much, everyone! 
I wasn't sure if I would ever finish that huge palm tree pattern either.  I actually put it down for a good 6 months or so in the middle since I needed a break. 

Hopefully I can get pictures of the missing three, so I can have my own cross stitch "portfolio" that includes even the ones I gave away.

Soon-ish I hope to have something completely different to show everyone!  It is something I somehow managed to muddle through and design my own pattern for.  It's way different than usual and I can't wait to finish it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
fiberartsy

That rug really tied the room together.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009 05:32:17 AM »

Can't wait to see more!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravenau1
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009 09:12:36 PM »

Many, MANY hours work there  Shocked, lovely!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neetks
Neet

All good things in life take effort

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009 12:06:58 PM »

When I first skimmed through the pictures, I thought the palm tree was actually a painting!! such a painstaking job!! Congratulations!
Can't wait to see more of your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009 06:38:27 PM »

Thanks very much!
It was a lot of fun (and work), but I was very glad to do it.  I admit I am yet to actually frame it.  For now I have it mounted to that sticky board backer stuff and hanging up without anything else.  I'm really lazy about framing, and keep forgetting to bring my square home from work so I can trim the board straighter as I pair it down to size a bit.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Color Tips
How to Curl Your Hair With a Flat Iron
How to Flat Iron Your Hair
How to Choose a Flat Iron
How to Maintain Your Flat Iron and Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...