A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How hard can it be to teach 3rd, 4rd, and 5th graders amigurumi??  (Read 3689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pink-Josy
.JosY.Licious.

.I.Love.my.boys.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009 07:04:13 PM »

we started our class today.. we practiced doing a chain, we will keep practicing chain untill they are ready to start single crochet. I will find some videos online that I can show them.. Thanks everyone for your Ideas, I'll have to keep you posted on how they are doing.

Josy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009 07:36:49 AM »

I took a mini-class on crocheting when I was in high school and we did granny squares to make a potholder.  It was pretty but yet it was done in one day.  You definitely need something that all the kids can get done in the one day or they will never finish it.  And you know there will be some that get it right away and some that need help every step.  I like the idea of ipod holders someone mentioned, especially if you can do it all in piece.  Finally, have written instructions in case some don't complete their project.  That way their family can help them finish later if they choose. 

Please please take pics of their final projects!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pink-Josy
.JosY.Licious.

.I.Love.my.boys.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009 06:45:26 PM »

I will take pictures.. We have been doing chain, and this week we only had class monday and tuesday so I hope they don't forget what we've practiced when we pick it up back on Monday. It is so nice to see the kids working hard, I have a second grader doing the longest chain, and they told me how much fun they are having, and how much they liked the class. They made me feel GREAT!!

we are going to take a break from crochet after 2 weeks maybe, or when they start to get bored with crochet, and we will be doing pop can tab bracelets, they are excited about it too.

Josy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brannick
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009 11:47:35 AM »

Would love to see some pictures. I'm teaching my 6 yr old niece how to crochet. I've started her w/ doing a chain. by the end of an hour or so she had a chain longer than she is tall!!! I told her to keep practicing that, & next time I'm over I'd show her the next step (single crochet!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovemyff
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009 09:23:55 AM »

How is your class going? I taught my 8 yr old to crochet no problem but she's been knitting since four. I found the key thing was to learn how to control the tension. I think tension when learning crochet is more important than in knitting. It's easier to hook the yarn when it is taut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
German_Crochet_Monster
beginner in the underground

Sweet sacrifice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009 09:39:09 AM »

mky sister is 8 years old and unbelievable unabe to crochet or knit.. we try to teach her for about a year now, but she an't even make the chainstitches...  Undecided maybe i'll need to sho her again in vacqtion, but i don't think she will practice well...

it might be very hard to teach 3- 5th grades. but it's always worth a try.. nd sometimes funny to see how these small humans work with hooks Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my YoutubeChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Shevory

WWKIP 09! - make something for life!
Pink-Josy
.JosY.Licious.

.I.Love.my.boys.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009 06:37:29 PM »

The kids are doing awesome!! most of them are working on single crochet. they made bookmarks today, I'll have to post pictures of that later. I'm amazed, I have some 2nd graders and they are so good at it.

I'm very glad I decided to do the class, they are the best kids!

Josy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pink-Josy
.JosY.Licious.

.I.Love.my.boys.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009 01:41:33 PM »

we started with learning to chain, than moved on to single crochet, after practicing that we made a flower, bookmark, wristband, and a scrunchie, we took a break from crochet and made poptab bracelets the kids loved them, next week we only have 3 days and class will be over, I ordered tote bags and fabric markers, I'm going to have them decorate them, the last day they get to take them home with yarn and a hook, and whatever projects they have there that they've finished or are working on. One term of afterschool program is not enough to teach them amigurumi, but if I can do the class in the fall again and get some of the kids that did the class this time I would have them do advanced projects and the new kids do the begginer thing. I'm not sure If I'll be albe to do it in the fall, but I'm so glad I did it this time, it was so much fun teaching them and getting to know them.

I have a picture of their bracelets, we had to do 2 pics because there were too many of them for one. Next week I'm taking pictures of some of their crochet things and I'll post them.

Josy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovemyff
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009 09:16:25 PM »

The bracelets look awesome! I still remember the lady, Mrs.Roberts, who taught me to knit in 4th grade, and I"m sure your students will always remember you fondly as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress for School
Kenya Dolls & Hot Wheels Make Great Additions To Your Holiday Shopping List
How to Make a Recycled T-Shirt Dress for Girls
Back To School Shopping: Printed Denim For Girls
Back To School Fashion: The Camo Look
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...