A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sideshow knitting...  (Read 1224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sailorgirlbonk
Mature and responsible adult.

Yeah, shorted out. Finally a lie too big.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 10, 2009 02:59:44 PM »

So my sister and I were hanging out on a lazy Tuesday afternoon and discussing knitting talents. I mentioned that if I could have a knitting superpower I would have monkey feet, and be able to knit two projects at the same time. She responded that it would be totally possible to knit with your feet. However, google and youtube have given us NOTHING!

So, anyone friends with an armless knitter?

Seriously. What are other strange feats of knitting (i.e. knitting in the dark or blind, knitting one handed, knitting backwards, knitting contiental, knitting intars- wait, those last two are techniques I just haven't mastered yet...) have you heard about or encountered?

Let's start a sideshow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chicken-lady
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009 04:52:41 PM »

I knit continental style because that is how I was taught.  I have also knitted in the bath (simply to prove that it was possible  Grin), And cos I have knitted in the car while on a long drive (well OH was doing the actual driving) overnight, I have knitted very simple stuff (a dishcloth) in the dark.  It had surprisingly few mistakes but was only garter-stitch.

I have heard of people walking and knitting but haven't mastered that myself yet, I might try it at some point as I don't really need to look at what I am knitting if it is simple.

Knitting with your feet?  I don't see why not.  Some people can paint/write/draw with their feet, so why not knit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Slosha
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009 06:16:54 PM »

Hee, I knit in the bath a few weeks ago. It wasn't exactly ideal. I'm still trying to develop a better method because a long hot bath and some knitting sounds like a pretty good night to me.

After I figure out the above method I'll perfect something that holds a book in front of me so I can read and knit. Such lofty dreams...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sailorgirlbonk

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009 06:38:30 PM »

I like the sound of knitting in a bath, but I'm clumsy and like boil-a-lobster baths...I'd end up with a wet, half felted project dunked in bubble bath!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassyRedhead
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009 06:24:03 AM »

There's GOT to be a one armed knitter out there. I almost lost my arm a few years back (long story), and I don't like the idea that there are complete skills out there that a one armed person can't do at all. If the person stabilized one needle between the legs or with some sort of holder, wouldn't they technically only need the one hand to wrap the yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009 06:59:47 AM »

There was a discussion a few months ago about disabled knitters, and I believe the consensus was that people with one arm use their thighs, or if they've got part of their other arm, then that armpit, to hold one needle, and do the actual knitting with the other hand.  The Nifty Knitter (Knifty Knitter?) is also great for disabled folks, though I know that wasn't the question asked.

I personally find the lady who knits with needles so large they resemble PVC pipes is pretty outrageous!

As is the lady who knit the sweaters for the movie Coraline...she used the tiniest DPN's and thread for those, so they'd fit the miniatures and still look life-scale.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
AaronBlue
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009 04:12:36 PM »

I know a lady who can knit with one hand, she has no left hand.. she holds the needle under her left arm and knits with her right hand..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sailorgirlbonk

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009 04:21:55 PM »

I loved Coraline's blue sweater with the stars...that's amazing that she was able to knit them on tiny dpns. I didn't think about how they got made...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ray-ray_chan

This is Lenny, a ketchup bottle therapist.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009 11:34:29 AM »

I can knit while walking around, I keep the yarn under my right arm or in my sweatshirt pocket. I can even do that with DPNs in the round. I can also knit seed stitch and ribbing in the dark or while reading, I check to see if I've messed up by feel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
futball15
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009 03:23:06 PM »

I knit while I walk sometimes, but I have been able to knit while I read.  It just takes patience because you have to turn the page every so often.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a track meet not a marathon- get it right the first time.
Being addicted to things is just one of my weaknesses{non drug and alcohol related addictions} so it's not my fault that i'm addicted to knitting.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Fancy Side Pony Tail
How to Create a Soft French Roll-Up Do
How to Create an Elegant Band Look for Curly Hair
How to Make a High Pony Tail for Curly Hair
How to Create a Side Roll Bun Up-Do
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...