A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weight Watchers "Hungry" Monster!  (Read 48160 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frenchbrandles
« on: February 10, 2009 01:52:28 PM »

Hello! So my boyfriend Greg and I think the little "Hungry" mascot from the Weight Watchers Momentum program is ridiculously cute, and after searching the web and finding there wasn't a way to buy him officially, I decided to make my own. He's made of orange faux-fur fabric and stuffed with polyfil. I used black and white felt for his eyes and eyebrows.

Because I'm new, I can't post the pictures here yet, but here are links to the pictures I took of him:

I sent him to Greg as a gift (he goes to grad school far away in Montana) and Greg posed him around his apartment and took some much cuter pictures, found here:  http://youregoodpeople.blogspot.com/2009/02/where-will-you-be-when-hunger-strikes.html
Check them out!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009 10:15:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009 04:33:57 PM »

My husband was quite amused by your "Hungry" monster. The first time we saw that commercial we were both sick... and he decided that our colds looked just like that monster, whom he named Mookie. After seeing your cute portrayal, I'm going to have to make one of my own. Good work. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zucch3ro
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009 04:40:26 PM »

ah thats great!!
i love he pictures your boyfriend took, especially the one where he is lifting weights!!
He's a very cute monster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchbrandles
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009 11:09:05 PM »

Thanks! He was really simple to make, but also very MESSY to make. When I was done it look like Garfield had exploded on the living room floor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
synstsia
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009 06:11:22 AM »

That is really well done!  Can you give me an idea of how you made the body shape, etc- I want to attempt making him for my girlfriends valentine gift. Thanks for any help you can give..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frenchbrandles
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009 07:55:24 PM »

He really was simple to make. As for the body shape, I drew a simple 2-D figure, nice and big, with a sharpie on the wrong side of some orange-faux fabric. I just made his body a big trapezoid: the top wider than the bottom. I drew on simple curved-rectangle legs, then drew his arms. He has no neck, so the arms come straight out from the top of his head. Since he has big burly shoulders, I made the arms come straight out about halfway, then curved them down and drew three big fingers on each hand. Then I just folded the fabric in half so I'd only have to cut once, cut out the two pieces, and backstitched them together by hand (since there was no way my sewing machine was tackling all that fur).

I used 3 strands of embroidery floss at a time to sew him, because I wanted to make sure the thread was strong enough to hold up to that thick furry fabric. I left about a 6 inch gap between his legs and turned him right side out. Then I cut circles out of felt, sewed those on to his face by hand (it helped to trim the fur where I placed the eyes and eyebrows, to keep it out of the way), and then stuffed him chock full of polyfil. Then I simply slipstitched the stuffing hole closed.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be making another one of these, though I encourage all of you who want to to make your own! It really is easy. I just saw the little guy's commercial and winged it from there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009 07:57:44 PM by frenchbrandles » THIS ROCKS   Logged
PirateColey
Pirate Owl Ship Captian!

Craft hound.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009 09:20:07 AM »

Thanks for your walk-through. I'll definitely be making one of these!! Too cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dpivarnick
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009 07:44:06 PM »

He looks great!!!

My son Michael (whom is 21 and has a brain injury he sustained in a car accident) loves these commercials. Every time they come on he laughs his @$$ off!!

If you could, how much would you charge to make another? I would love to have one of these for my son, Mike.

Dave Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cadillac.tramp
Born to Lose, Destined to Fail.

With a Golden Heart comes a Rebel Fist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009 06:22:17 AM »

WEE!!! It's Hungry!! Ever since I saw the first commercial I've been wanting a Hungry...and now I can point my brother in law to this page since he promised he'd catch one for me for my birthday   Cheesy
 Awesome work, he really looks just like the one in the commercial. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When there's no more room in Hell, the Dead will walk the Earth.

www.myspace.com/xboondockxsaintx
frenchbrandles
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009 01:30:11 PM »

Like I said, I don't think I'll be making another. I promise, though, he is really easy to make! There really isn't anything fancy in his construction, in case my little semi-tutorial came off that way. I really think it's fun to make your own--that way he's personal and unique. You might even decide to do some things differently--maybe make his eyebrows velcro to his head instead of being sewn down, so that you can change his expression by changing the angle of his eyebrows! Just have fun; it doesn't have to be perfect. Mine certainly wasn't!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Frozen Bean Curd Soup With Shrimps
Shrimp and Chicken Dumplings
Homemade Chinese Noodles
How to Make Wonton Soup
How to Cook Chinese Food
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...