A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Steampunk costume ideas?  (Read 17293 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HelenM

Acting like some kind of 50s housewife

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2009 12:43:55 PM »

Hi,

Myself and a friend are debating wearing steampunk costumes for a games convention in June. As I can't sew and my friend, who can, is at least 100 miles away, does anybody have any very easy costume ideas? Ideas of stuff I could buy or easily adapt? Or what to look out for in charity shops?

I currently have the following:
A lacy ruff that can safety pin onto a white shirt (that I made a copule of years ago for a Captain Hook costume for my husband)
Some lovely lacy cuffs I have just recieved in a swap
A cracking pair of steampunk goggles (also a swap item!)

I was thinking a lacy shirt and waistcoat, my goggles and something on my bottom half, but not sure what!

Any ideas greatfully recieved  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009 05:24:21 PM »

YAY! I heart steampunk Cheesy Lucky you, having a chance to dress up!

How bout just wearing the ruff and cuffs with a tank top, not pinned to anything? Hopefully you can find a decent vest/waistcoat at a second-hand shop. For the bottom, I LOOOVE the shorts/pulled-up-skirt look that this amazing craftster did:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274128.0

I just a had a no-sew genius idea for how to do the gathered part of the skirt! Ok, not completely no-sew. On the front waistband of a short a-line skirt, pick your two points to sew on buttons right at the top of the waistband (you can do it! buttons aren't too scary Smiley ). Get two hair elastics and loop one over a button. Roughly gather the skirt below the button upwards. Extend the elastic down over the gathered part, bring it up behind the fabric, up over the waistband and loop over the button. Repeat on the other side, YAY!

Hopefully you will end up super duper cute! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009 01:46:04 AM »

what about wearing some loose britches, the kind that gather at the knees (i think they're called harem pants at the moment) like jodphurs, then riding boots, the kind that come up to the knee? then you could be some sort of aviatrix or automobile (steam-mobile?) driver. that's the best i can do if you're not able to sew  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
HelenM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009 09:50:40 AM »

These are great suggestions. Many thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookem
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009 01:49:02 PM »

i think loose pant / bloomer type things might be the way to go. they could be the basis of other outfits too. historically speaking pants would have been quite risque, so those who did wear them tended to go for loose, feminine styles- think turkish, moroccan, maybe some sort of sash or bustle over the top (as suggested by Alexus1325). and i would really suggest that you have a go at sewing, either your own garments or to alter clothes to get the style you want (army surplus stores are a great source of cheap, european uniforms, i've turned a few of those into pirate jackets). at the very least you could swap the buttons on your cosplay clothes for ones that are more historical- brass or horn (even imitation ones). sewing is fun!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
tarriknits
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009 03:27:01 AM »

Accesories and embeleshments are your friend.

Big brass buttons can be functional and add to the look. Can you get some cods or similar from a hardwear store to be used as buttond, or just to be attached or sewn on to your costume.

Have a look in second hand and junk shops for an old watch/ pocket compas/barmoter or similar. Having that somewhere about your person is good, it doesnt have to work which can cut the cost down.

Attaching handy pockets to outits can also look interesting - somewhere to keep all those new-fangled devices!

Make jewelry out of bits of hardwear like nuts and washers or coiled copper wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelenM

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009 03:41:27 PM »

Brilliant. Thanks everyone  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make DIY Sidewalk Chalk
DIY Memory Jars
DIY Memory Jar
DIY Bohemian Leather Bracelet
How to Make Easter Baskets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...