A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Janome MB-4  (Read 8580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NeitherSparky
« on: February 09, 2009 03:05:52 PM »

(Moving myself out of poor lylmousy's thread, lol)

As I mentioned in the above hijacked thread, I am looking to start a small home embroidery business. My brother (who is purchasing a machine for me) and I drove about 45 minutes to a dealer last Saturday to look at machines because I thought they were the closest but I was wrong, there's one much closer (they seem bigger too) so I went there alone today.

Anyways because of space restrictions I was thinking I needed to get a one needle combo embroidery/sewing machine but seriously, it's for a business, I can sacrifice a piece of furniture or something, so I've changed my mind, and I am looking at the 4-needle Janome MB-4 craftydeb owns. The place we went to on Saturday didn't even show me that machine so either they didn't have it or she thought I wouldn't want it, but the place I went to today has it. It's got a normal price tag of $7500 which is too steep for us, although it will be on sale for $5800 this weekend - which I don't think will do us any good because my brother can't afford another large purchase for at least a month. The lady said she'd try to find me a floor model or something but who knows on that.

Anyways the point is, I do want this machine, and even if we can find it for more like $5000 or so it might be hard to convince my brother to shell out that much, I don't think he wanted to go over about $3500 (and its not like there won't be other expenses). My dad may or may not contribute but if he does it would probably only be like a couple hundred dollars or so. I may go with layaway, with up to three monthly payments - but of course that means I won't have the machine for three months after the payments start.

Those of you who have this machine, can you please let me know how well you think it would work for starting a business? What kinds of projects have you done? Has anyone worked on a pant leg? I understand with this machine you've have to open the leg up and resew it afterwords - has anyone tried that? How about shaped patches? Um...anything else in particular you can tell me to help convince my brother, lol? Does anyone use it to make money and if so, how well do you do? What kinds of classes would you recommend?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'll probably have more later. Wink

edit: Well. It appears that when I was told I would be helped in starting a business no one actually meant they'd buy me business equipment so much as hobby equipment, and then if I make any money from that "we'll see" about getting something better. Whatever. I'd still like to hear about this machine, but I will be going for something much cheaper at this time.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009 10:00:17 PM by NeitherSparky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009 12:48:45 PM »

I absolutely love my MB-4 - It is awesome..!  I'll be doing some pant legs since I bought some absolutely adorable flower patterns from emblibrary with their last sale....  love love love my MB-4 Smiley  
If you lived closer I could probably get you a good deal at my dealership but alas - you are in my old stomping grounds - I used to live at 26th and T Grin
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009 03:58:01 AM by craftydeb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
NeitherSparky
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009 03:39:08 PM »

Aw, thanks.  Grin It looks like I'll be getting the 350e, although I may have to wait a bit. Its too bad though, they're having a sale this weekend and we'd save a few hundred - but if we don't have the money right now we don't have it. Maybe we can do layaway and pay half now and half in a month. I dunno.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009 04:24:08 PM »

The 350e is what I upgraded from - and trust me when I say that if you can swing it a month from now, do so!  All good dealers will let you lock in a sale price if you put a deposit on it - it would really really be worth your while.
Don't get me wrong - I loved my 350e but if you are wanting to start an embroidery business and you think you can get the fundage together in a few months it would really behoove you to put it on layaway and just go to the store and visit it.... not unlike visiting your favorite animal at the zoo.... Cheesy

You can even hoop luggage, premade purses and totes, SOCKS, sleeves, pants, xmas stockings you name it you can embroider it with the MB-4 - the 350e is a great machine but the MB-4 puts it to shame!

Oh and jump stitches?  Yeah.  let me tell you what - that alone is worth the extra price tag for the MB-4.. every time the machine goes from letter to letter in wording it normally leaves a thread trail - a jump stitch.. .with the MB-4 it SNIPS it before each jump so those jumps are gone which improves the overall appearance of your embroidery - you won't have to go back and trim those nasty jumps as best as you can - they are all gone gone gone.  It is so sweet...!  Once you have a machine that trims before each jump area you will never ever want to go back to one that does not.

It really would be worth the wait. big time.  I would definitely take hubby in to the dealership and have them give the great big run down on it..

Oh and make sure they include the fast frames with your machine Smiley  You will be able to hoop the unhoopable (like those socks, sleeves and stockings)... They are sweet... Tell them you will take the machine if they include the fast frames... then run like hell with your machine in hand, giggling like a school girl all the way home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
NeitherSparky
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009 05:34:22 PM »

Lol well, it has been made very clear to me (by the brother, I'm not married) that I am not getting the MB-4 for my first machine. Its just not happening. I'm going to take what I can get and do what I can with it, and save up myself for the MB-4. Trust me, that's the only way its happening.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009 06:22:19 PM »

Most dealerships will give you 100% of the money you spent buying your first machine if you upgrade within the first year - which is good news Smiley  Granted my dealership didn't want my machine to trade - I just sold my 350e right before Xmas for under a grand.  It is a great machine - you will be very happy with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
NeitherSparky
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009 12:39:10 PM »

By the way you've mentioned buying your thread online - I believe you said ebay - but where else would you recommend? I tried doing a search to find those posts but I'm afraid I still couldn't find it. Thanks. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009 01:50:07 PM »

I wind my own bobbins (I'm cheap what can I say?) Some people say that the prewounds hold more but I don't see how.  I know with prewounds for my sewing machine I have to unwind a lot to get them to work right!

Anyhooo... for bobbin thread - this has been my absolute favorite so far -

I buy most of my thread in person since my dealer sells them for cheap and if you buy enough to fit in to the plastic thread case you get the case for free - bonus!  He sells ARC thread which I like a lot.

I have bought from radiantthreads on ebay for variegated and it is pretty stuff. 

I buy all of my needles (and you will go through them fast!) from www.discountembroid erysupply.com I still have a ton of needles from them that I can not use with my new machine Sad
The MB-4 takes commercial needles.... so if ever you want ball points or sharps let me know and we could work out a deal!

Oh - and my local dealer does ship thread I believe - if you can't find it locally but if you buy  A LOT of the ARC thread online for cheap as well.  I'd check Ebay for that as well - if you are setting up shop then getting a box lot of colors would be a great way to go.  It is expensive to start off with but you will pay a lot more buying one or two here or there along the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
msmom
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009 10:41:56 AM »

Craftydeb - will you post the name of the dealer where the Janome MB-4 is less than $4000?  I live in the Atlanta area and someone on craigslist has a used one listed for $4000.  I'm just now researching embroidery machines, but am considering this one.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Henn_Stitching
www.hennessyembroidery.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009 06:24:46 PM »

FYI - Read the warranty on any machine you buy for business use. Using a "home" machine for business will void the warranty on most machines. If you choose to go that route, be very careful what you say to your dealer about what you are using the machine for.  Warranties are usually not transferable either when you buy a used machine. Sometimes a dealer who is selling a used one will include some kind of coverage through their shop but the regular warranty is generally only good for the original buyer. Justine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Blog We Love: Beauty By Lee
DIY Lemon Honey Mask
Adriana Lima Shares Her Workout Secrets
4 All Natural Beauty Tips For When You’re Pregnant
How To Do A Basic Eyeshadow Application
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...