A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Challenge 1: Next Step Baby Soap! (aka infant formula soap)  (Read 7752 times)
Tags for this thread: bath_and_beauty_challenge_1  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 09, 2009 08:08:54 AM »

I'll be the first entry, I suppose. Smiley

So I had a sample can of Enfamil’s Next Step formula* which I was never going to use, but I didn’t want it to go to waste, either. So I figured if you can make soap using milk and milk powder, why not formula? The main ingredients of formula are: nonfat milk, vegetable oil (palolein, soy, coconut and high oleic sunflower oils), corn syrup solids, lactose and a slew of vitamins and minerals to make sure a growing toddler gets all the nutrition s/he needs. I searched and searched and searched on the internet to find ANY information on people using infant formula in soap and there was NOTHING! So I figure that made this is a pretty strange ingredient.

Pictures of the process:

I first reconstituted the formula figuring it’d be easier to work with a liquid. (If anyone ever has a child on Nutramigen, as mine was, the Dr. Brown’s formula pitcher is GOLDEN. That stuff is soooo hard to dissolve without it!)

I put it in the fridge for a few hours to get cold and then I measured out my oils. I used beef tallow, shea butter and olive oil to make a gentle yet moisturizing soap that would be good for babies and people with sensitive skin.

Added lye to the formula and it turned the most appetizing orange color! Mmmm! (For anyone who has never made soap with milk, this is exactly what happens with non-frozen milk)

Mixing the lye/formula and oils was a pain. It took a LONG while to trace. I added a touch of SweetCake’s Bedtime Bath type fragrance to give it a nice scent.

The finished product! It has that light caramel color that I adore in milk soaps. I know a lot of folks aren’t crazy about it, but I like how natural and homey it looks. It smells pretty nice (subtle) too. Smiley

The overwhelming consensus on this soap has been “Why?” When I tell people it has formula in it, they give me a straaaaange look. I thought it was neat.

*For those Crafsters who do not yet have children, go to every baby product website and register your name and address. You will get freebies galore!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009 11:03:08 PM by MareMare - Reason: to add "challenge 1" for archive purposes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009 08:38:25 AM »

when you are asked "why?"   is your answer, "why not?"
All those vitamins minerals, protiens etc, have got to do something good for the skin right?  Good way to not waste a freebie can of formula!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shout4joy
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009 08:43:28 AM »

All those vitamins minerals, protiens etc, have got to do something good for the skin right? 

I just wonder how many survive the lye...

great looking soap!

JOY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009 08:47:07 AM »

yippee...that is super cool looking..

I saw it on your blog and thought..how awesome..

love all the info and photos..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009 09:01:45 AM »

great looking soap!

JOY

Thank you! Honestly, I'm sure most of the vits & mins are destroyed by the lye but the same is true when you use powdered milk. SO I'm thinking it'll still have the emollient properties...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampberry
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009 09:49:18 AM »

I think it is neat Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009 11:57:05 AM »

great looking soap!

JOY

Thank you! Honestly, I'm sure most of the vits & mins are destroyed by the lye but the same is true when you use powdered milk. SO I'm thinking it'll still have the emollient properties...  Smiley

oh yeah I never thought of that.. but then again I don't make soap so I have no idea......  But I like how it didn't go to waste!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinky Yarn
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009 10:01:41 PM »

That's a neat idea. How much formula did you mix together? How much soap did it make? There are always people giving away cans of formula on craig's list that they get from WIC.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay finally done moving!

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." - Ronald Reagan
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009 10:45:49 PM »

That looks great! I think it's really light colored for a milk soap, my milk soaps have sometimes turned out pretty dark...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009 09:22:28 AM »

It IS very light colored for milk soap. Mine are typically a LOT darker, too. The only thing I can think of is that formula is not pure milk. There are a lot of oils in it, too. You cannot tell from the picture (curse you, Flash!) but the color is actually more like a melted plastic color. It's strange! But my guess is definitely the high concentration of non-milk stuff in it.  Smiley

That's a neat idea. How much formula did you mix together? How much soap did it make? There are always people giving away cans of formula on craig's list that they get from WIC.

I used 8 or 9 scoops? I'll be able to make a BUNCH more. I made a 5lb. batch of soap. However I think I'd not recommend making it if you don't happen to have a can of formula hanging around. The soap smells nice, but it has a slightly formula-ish smell to it. It's not BAD, but when you smell it you think something is off. If you've ever made formula, you know the smell, lol. So I'd not go out of my way to get it. Smiley

oh yeah I never thought of that.. but then again I don't make soap so I have no idea......  But I like how it didn't go to waste!

Yes! We had opened it to try it, decided it was NOT for us (milk intolerance in my daughter that we thought she'd grow out of but didn't), but unfortunately then we couldn't give it away, lol. So yes: waste not, want not, here!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Low Side-Part Hairstyles at the Badgley Mischka FW 2014 Show
How to Apply Volumizing Hair Powder
How To Get A Segmented High Ponytail
How To Tease Your Hair Properly
9 Lies About Your Hair You Probably Believe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...