A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Using Patterns  (Read 373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gemmalou
« on: February 09, 2009 05:50:39 AM »

I'm sorry if I'm posting on something that already has a thread - I've searched many times and can't seem to find any threads which might point me in the right direction!  I've not been sewing long and have just bought a pattern so I can try to make myself a skirt.  Some of the terms in it, and some of the concepts in it, confuse me - is there a guide to sewing with patterns anywhere?

In particular I'm confused about the flimsiness of the paper patterns (I'm worried I'll rip one mid-cut!) and things such as how to do pleating when the fabric is cut - am I supposed to use chalk to mark on where the pleats should go?  *confused*

Thanks!
Gemma
THIS ROCKS   Logged
radical
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009 06:30:59 AM »

Hi Gemma -

Most patterns will have an instruction sheet that will explain the various markings and what they mean.  If it's a pleated skirt, there will be markings to transfer onto the fabric so that you can fold or stitch on the markings.  Patterns printed on tissue paper may tear a bit from time to time, but you can just scotch tape them back together.  If it's a pattern you really like after you've made it, you can always reproduce it on a heavier paper. 

Try looking for basic sewing books at your local library or used bookstore. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009 08:59:22 AM »

There is a special kind of marker for sewing that washes out of fabric. I like to use one of these when marking those reference points. Read the directions all the way through before even starting. There should be a glossary at the beginning of the instructions. Iron the pattern before using, little folds can alter the pattern and don't let water near those flimsy patterns. Kwik-sew has pattern on regular paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smacckk

Don't count the days, Let the days count for you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009 09:59:34 AM »

In particular I'm confused about the flimsiness of the paper patterns (I'm worried I'll rip one mid-cut!)

I was worried about the same thing at the beginning but so far I've stuck a million (okay fine, maybe not a million)  pins through my patterns and none of them have torn yet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will trade for Winter 2008 issue of Stitch Magazine aka The One With The Skirts Grin

Check out my wists!
hammycakes
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009 11:37:49 AM »

yep as long as you have a big flat space to lay everything out on should be fine. After you do a few you will get the hang of it and even modify your style of cutting and layout.. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009 01:35:38 PM »

My big flat space is my floor Smiley I wish I had the space for a huge table, but alas. I do know a costume designer who regularly commandeered his kitchen table, which meant none of his roomates could use it for a few days. lol and he laughed at me for cutting out my stuff on the floor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gemmalou
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009 07:25:32 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'm nervous to jump straight in but maybe I'll give things a go next free evening I get!

One last question.... the patterns have lots of sizes on, and I've heard it said here that pattern sizes are often smaller than High Street clothes.  So being a UK size 16, I should cut a 18.  What happens if I cut a pattern and the item is too small?  I guess I've no choice but the buy a new pattern by then?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009 10:07:37 AM »

Always go by your measurements, never by what size you usually wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...