A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,205
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Down by the Sea Tree  (Read 3137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beadedbyamy
I grow my flowers from seed bead.

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2009 08:27:47 PM »

I'm taking a little break from flowers and playing around with some fun ideas for my wire trees. This one is made with 26 gauge floral wire and an assortment of mostly teal (with red, brown, blue, and white) glass beads. It's mounted on a large shell (yep, it's a real one, and so pretty, too!).  The whole thing stands about 6 inches tall.

I saw these beads and it just took me back to the beach. I grew up around beaches (my dad was navy), and now the only water in sight is a small river (in central Ohio). I definitely miss the beach. Sad

I would love feedback of any kind on this tree, since a lot of it is new ideas. How do you like the different shapes and sizes of the beads? What do you think of the shell? Do you like the whimsical feel of the whole thing, or is it overboard? Please don't be scared to be honest. My skin's made of steel. Smiley

<3 Amy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 08:37:43 PM »

I really like it a lot. It looks amazing. I only wish I could make things like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
orangevwbug
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 08:50:27 PM »

I think this is really pretty. I like the idea of it growing on a shell, it definitely adds a level of uniqueness to your tree. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
izolda
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 09:17:44 PM »

I love it.  Smiley  I bought a beaded bonsai tree for my mom about 15 years ago. Your tree made me think of it. But, instead of leaves it had flowers made of pieces of shell. It's mounted on a piece of driftwood. Definitely has a beachy feel. Yours does too.
I've always wanted to learn to make these. Yet another craft on my to do list!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kirrashi
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009 11:12:23 PM »

I would suggest letting the roots curl down and around the edges of the shell, I think it would look more natural. It would also keep the tree from falling off and potentially getting stepped on or something! (It would happen here in a moment.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadedbyamy

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009 04:51:08 AM »

I would suggest letting the roots curl down and around the edges of the shell, I think it would look more natural. It would also keep the tree from falling off and potentially getting stepped on or something! (It would happen here in a moment.)

Longer roots might look really nice, and I like the idea of them wrapping around the shell. Thanks for that suggestion! I promise it won't fall off, though. It's securely attached with E6000.

Izolda, your tree sounds pretty! I've thought about working with driftwood, but I'm not sure I will. It's expensive and very heavy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009 06:59:53 AM »

My grandma has a simillar tree that she made ages ago. personally I feel like the beads are bit to big. But I do like the colors.
Also something random you could try, grandmas comes out of the other side of the shell. I have no idea how it balances like that but it does. Smiley
I don't think it's overboard at all and can definitely feel the elegance of it. It doesn't really feel whimsical to me. For me it would need more "beachy" related items in the branches along with the beads to be more whimsical. But I'm just one person. as LaVar Burton would say "But, don't take my word for it!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadedbyamy

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009 09:10:57 AM »

My grandma has a simillar tree that she made ages ago. personally I feel like the beads are bit to big. But I do like the colors.
Also something random you could try, grandmas comes out of the other side of the shell. I have no idea how it balances like that but it does. Smiley
I don't think it's overboard at all and can definitely feel the elegance of it. It doesn't really feel whimsical to me. For me it would need more "beachy" related items in the branches along with the beads to be more whimsical. But I'm just one person. as LaVar Burton would say "But, don't take my word for it!"

Thanks so much for the comments! I will definitely think about how big the beads are next time. Do you think all of the beads are too big? Hmmm... I wonder what other "beachy" things I could put. I've considered getting some tiny shells and attaching those to the big shell as well.

Do you have a picture of your grandma's tree? I'd love to see it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009 08:00:37 AM »

Thanks so much for the comments! I will definitely think about how big the beads are next time. Do you think all of the beads are too big? Hmmm... I wonder what other "beachy" things I could put. I've considered getting some tiny shells and attaching those to the big shell as well.

no I don't feel like all the beads are too big. Shells would be neat, maybe even switch some colored beads for more gem chips to give it that "beach glass" feel.
Maybe a pearl type bead here and there( not to many of those though) .
You are the second person to ask about my grandma's tree. So next time I go over I will take a picture of it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadedbyamy

<3 Amy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009 09:07:24 AM »

no I don't feel like all the beads are too big. Shells would be neat, maybe even switch some colored beads for more gem chips to give it that "beach glass" feel.
Maybe a pearl type bead here and there( not to many of those though) .
You are the second person to ask about my grandma's tree. So next time I go over I will take a picture of it. Smiley

You definitely need to take a picture to share with us. A few pearls might be really pretty. I do love them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Prepare a Romantic Dinner for Two
Learn how to Cook the Shrimp and Beurre Fondue Sauce
Learn how to Make Grits for Shrimp and Grits
Learn how to Make Shrimp and Grits
Learn how to Plate the Chicken Breasts with Grits and Orange Remoulade
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...