A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,953
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zippered Handbag - inspired by a Coach purse  (Read 6580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2009 06:54:56 PM »

While at the Coach store yesterday I saw this purse and I really liked the shape so I decided to make a similar bag. The fabric is Red/Orange Calliope by Jessica Jones. I love this pattern! I accented it with a matching pink canvas on the straps, the label and the bottom.

My measurements are a bit different and I couldn't figure out how to get a pocket on the outside that looked good. Unfortunately I had already made a little mark for the center (in pen of course) so I put my label on a rectangle of the pink fabric to cover it up. I think I'll use this on all my bags now! The bottom is flat which I like, I sewed on a panel of the pink canvas reinforced with very stiff interfacing.

I don't usually make zippered handbags but I thought it might be a good thing to try and now I love it! I used this bag today and I didn't have to worry about my stuff falling out when I threw it in the backseat. I will definitely make more zippered bags, and I've already started cutting out fabric for another one of this style.

The lining is Purple Stars by Prints Charming. This is seriously the softest cotton I've ever used. I was so sad to cut into the fabric but when I look at the finished bag I'm happy I did! Inside there is a zippered pocket and also a slide pocket for my keys since I like to just toss those in.

For some reason the photos are looking really pixely on my screen, so hopefully I can get some better ones! **Edit: new photos are up!

I'd love to hear your comments! Thanks for looking.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009 04:54:17 PM by oneyedsally - Reason: better pictures! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
Lisa C
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 07:03:22 PM »

Your pictures look ok to me I love this bag I want to make an over night bag and I think I might borrow this idea and make it a little bigger. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 07:34:38 PM »

What a beautiful bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 10:39:35 PM »

very pretty bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PurseStuff
Purse Stuff - Paula

Handcrafted Purses & Purse Accessories

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009 11:10:17 PM »

Your pics look fine to me, too.
and your bag is gorgeous.

Purse Stuff - Paula
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purse Stuff - Paula
www.PurseStuff.com
http://pursestuff.blogspot.com
Facebook - Purse Stuff
klinga74
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009 03:23:01 AM »

Whoa, your bag is stunning!!!! I love everything about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never let go
anastrophe
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009 05:22:38 AM »

Oooh, pretty! If you don't mind, how do you finish the tabs holding the O-rings on? I always have a difficult time hiding the raw edge in a way that looks professional. Like, I make a little strap, turn it, press and topstitch, but then how do I get it on the bag so it hides where the two ends meet?

Also, it looks like you use french seams? Does that make the bag stronger or is it just for effect?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions but I am so enchanted by how nicely finished your bags are...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009 07:45:29 AM »

Another outstanding creation, I just love that fabric combo. The canvas "frame" around your label adds yet another professional touch.

I don't usually make zippered handbags but I thought it might be a good thing to try and now I love it! I used this bag today and I didn't have to worry about my stuff falling out when I threw it in the backseat.

I wholeheartedly agree! I hate an open bag, it's a sure disaster for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
lwooters
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009 08:02:31 AM »

You did a really great job, very professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009 09:15:56 AM »

Thanks everyone! I've really been working hard to make more professional looking bags, no matter how much "research" (i.e. shopping) that requires!  Grin It's definitely the little touches that make or break the look like topstitching, clean edges and hardware.

I want to make an over night bag and I think I might borrow this idea and make it a little bigger.

This style would make a great overnight bag! The second one I'm making is a bit larger so it's more of a tote size. I think it would even make a good gym bag too. It's such a simple style that it's very adaptable.

Oooh, pretty! If you don't mind, how do you finish the tabs holding the O-rings on? I always have a difficult time hiding the raw edge in a way that looks professional. Like, I make a little strap, turn it, press and topstitch, but then how do I get it on the bag so it hides where the two ends meet?

Also, it looks like you use french seams? Does that make the bag stronger or is it just for effect?

For the tabs, I cut the piece so that the edges angle in. So if you have a rectangle where the short edges are raw, snip the corners towards the center. When you fold it under it will look clean from the sides.  I only turn under the minimum amount needed to stitch it on so that there isn't a lot of fabric hanging over. If you turn under more, maybe you could do a tight zigzag or serge to neaten the edge. Then I just topstitch it on both sides (3 times each plus backstitching at the ends). Make sure your thread matches well because this could look messy.

Actually those aren't french seams but that's a good idea...I just made 4 panels and sewed them together. If I had enough fabric I could just do it in 2 sections instead of 4. The Coach bag had this detail and I loved it. It is a nice decorative touch and it accents the construction of the bag. I don't know if it adds any strength though. It seems to me like any point where there is a seam would be weaker than just a solid expanse of fabric, but I'm not sure!

Another outstanding creation, I just love that fabric combo. The canvas "frame" around your label adds yet another professional touch.

I don't usually make zippered handbags but I thought it might be a good thing to try and now I love it! I used this bag today and I didn't have to worry about my stuff falling out when I threw it in the backseat.

I wholeheartedly agree! I hate an open bag, it's a sure disaster for me!

This is one of my new favorite fabrics for sure, and the pink matches perfectly. Only 1/2 yard left... Sad

I'm really loving the frame around the label as well (that's a good name for it too). It's hard to put labels on patterned fabric because it's hard to see and this really makes it pop!

Thanks for the feedback about zippered bags...it's so much easier to put on a snap so it helps to keep costs down but I've now been converted! Definitely more of this to come.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How the Roosevelts Celebrated Thanksgiving
How to Tackle the Holidays Like a Boss
Nicholas Sparks on His Novels
David Johnson by Sean Messer
Author Andrew Solomon on Strengths in Difference
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...