A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,138
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stupid Bubblegum - oil fire damage  (Read 2327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 08, 2009 05:30:04 PM »

Im an idiot, Ill admit that, Im sitting here trying to be composed although my heart rates about that of a humming bird and my hand throbs like hell.
I cant make popcorn, its a joke amongst my friends and as I love popcorn I usually do the microwave bag stuff. Today I found some 'real' kernals in the pantry and thought Id give the 'real' stuff a go.
NEVER AGAIN.
I managed to set the pot on fire  Roll Eyes
so Ive burnt my hand (my right crafting hand  Angry ) burnt a pot (hoping to save it) and have smoke damage throughout my kitchen.
Yep, happy days.

Has anyone got any remedies for getting the soke damage off my walls and ceiling? preferably stuff I have at home as I really dont want my other half (or his boss/ our landlord) to hit the smoke stained roof when my other half gets home tonight.

Plus, I did the right thing by not putting the fire out with water didnt I? thats how I burnt my hand, I carried it outside to the driveway

Oh, and pics of the damage

that back wall used to be completly black, lol, I used floor cleaner and got most/some of it off, am really glad we are repainting this year  Cheesy
Got pretty lucky actually didnt I? theres a power switch right by the stove... could have been choas.
hmm, just looking at my hand and its hairless... that explains the smell of burning something  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
pink_ink82
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 05:42:02 PM »

Have you tried comet, or a mr clean magic eraser?
those 2 things usually work for anything.
also to save the pot, i buy sandpaper foam blocks from my dollar store, my bf like to make popcorn that way (hasn't set anything on fire yet, but has burnt many a pots) and those work great for the back parts in the pot.
good luck on the cleaning, and be careful!;)
hope your hand feels better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have twins, need coffee
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 05:46:21 PM »

glad you're mostly okay.  I ended up doing the very same thing last year.  If you have simple green it will clean the soot off.  I was amazed at what a great job it did...the husband never even knew until about a week later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feelix

I love Crazy!

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 05:48:28 PM »

Hugs Sweetie! I am down with the idea of a remodel or repaint job - just think of the creativity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back from a long break. WOOT!
Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009 06:08:05 PM »

Please take care of your hand first....

We had a similar incident a few years ago...long story....but I would try the magic eraser as well.  If it smells really bad, you may want to purchase a small ionizer or air purifier.  Febreeze spray or anything else like that will only do so much. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009 06:14:22 PM »

So glad Im not the only one. Amazing how fast it happened!

Hugs Sweetie! I am down with the idea of a remodel or repaint job - just think of the creativity!
We are meant to be getting a repaint later this year, Im hoping for a cream, but maybe I should ask for brown or grey Cheesy Tongue  Roll Eyes the paints that old the wood absorbing it meaning cleaning it is a real PITA  Roll Eyes  Angry

Have you tried comet, or a mr clean magic eraser?
those 2 things usually work for anything.
also to save the pot, i buy sandpaper foam blocks from my dollar store, my bf like to make popcorn that way (hasn't set anything on fire yet, but has burnt many a pots) and those work great for the back parts in the pot.
good luck on the cleaning, and be careful!;)
hope your hand feels better!
Didnt think of sandpaper for the pot! thankyou, I used a mix of baking soda and vinegar on Mums last time (she burns boiled veges routinly, I used to think thats how you roasted spuds - in a pot of water) but that mix takes aaaages to get it off.

glad you're mostly okay.  I ended up doing the very same thing last year.  If you have simple green it will clean the soot off.  I was amazed at what a great job it did...the husband never even knew until about a week later.
I think Ive seen that in the shops... somewhere... I live in NZ so alot of stuff you all take for granted Ive never heard of, then again. I wouldnt swap timtams or pineapple lumps for cleaning products Grin  Tongue

Please take care of your hand first....

We had a similar incident a few years ago...long story....but I would try the magic eraser as well.  If it smells really bad, you may want to purchase a small ionizer or air purifier.  Febreeze spray or anything else like that will only do so much. 
The hands been dumped in a bowel of icewater for a bit (until my fingers turned blue) and then I put bio oil on (I love this stuff, it actually works and doesnt reek like other healing lotions Ive tried!) plus Ive taken the night off work so my work gloves dont irritate the skin.
Im going to have to search for this magic eraser thing you all speak of, hope Fresh Choice have them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
Book Worm
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009 06:20:56 PM »

Though I do not have a solution for smoke damage, I thought you might like to know you can make regular popcorn in the microwave. Place about three tablespoons of popcorn in a paper lunch bag, fold over the top of the bag over twice, leaving lots of room for popcorn, and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. You can oil you kernels before, but I usually put butter and brewer's yeast on after its popped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle- Plato
funtobewith
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009 06:56:57 PM »

Eeek! If you ever have a fire again... just dump baking soda on it... or put a lid over it... you need to remove the air and the fire will go out.

We had an oil fire once, and tried to get it outside, and ended up burning the carpet Sad lesson learned!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Leslie <><
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009 06:59:03 PM »

or... if you REALLY love popcorn that much... I bought my mom an old fashioned popcorn card for christmas this year. (when i was in high school and she was having a particularly bad day she would make me stop by the movie theatre just to get her popcorn).  It is way more delicious than any microwave corn AND pretty easy to use.  No burning.  But it was a little pricey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lady_Frog
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009 08:19:37 PM »

dont feel too bad hun, we all have at least  thing our partners wont let us cook ever again.
my most recent is sidekicks...
i once set oven mits on fire..i was trying to take the  burning muffins out of the stove..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Seafood Sensation with Chef Marucs Gleadow-Ware at Aureole
How to Make Chocolate Sticky Buns with Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Cheese Cave Advenutres with Cheese Expert Dennis Cottin at Artisanal
Hickory Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe
Yougurt Marinated Chicken Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...