A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,777
Currently Running With Scissors:
401 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tiny Homes (like Tumbleweed)  (Read 12880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lilak Tygress
« on: February 08, 2009 02:59:03 PM »

Hey Craftsters-

I've look and looked and yet cannot find anyone else on here here discussing these.  I've seen a few little blurbs, but nothing substantial.  So lets discuss it...

They are ADORABLE!! I showed them to hubby and he was like "what? We cant live in that, its too small". A month later he was like "you know, thats not such a bad idea". Really, its shocking to think of at first. "You want to live in 160 sq ft? You're crazy!!"  Then... "Hey, that's totally doable." Wow.

What I think about is, I have 20 drinking glasses, 16 dinner plates, 6 sets of sheets, about a dozen quilts, two bedrooms, a 3 person couch, an addition seat... THERE IS JUST TWO OF US!!! Me and hubby.  Yes we want a family, but as the family grows, so can the home! It connects to a trailer, so moving is easy... People say, "why dont you just live in an RV?" Well, thats essentially what we're doing, only it'll look like a home, only mini!

So we're building one. I would like input from everyone about how to make it super efficiant.

So this is a rough drawing of what we're looking at. Left side is the bottom floor, and the right side are two lofts.  Based on this home from Tumbleweed. http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/fencl/

Idea's so far:

- single sink
- RV toilet- or tankless toilet
- 18" dishwasher (I have to have a dishwasher)
- Washer/Dryer combo
- Collapsible containers (bowls, drinking cups, colander)
- Portable burner / toaster over for baking

This dining set is awesome.  The chairs fold up and store inside the table when the leafs are down.  My design has wheels so it can be moved around for additional work space.

I like this idea. The three panels fold up to make a sofa (for the little sun room area) and then if my nieces come to stay the night, it folds out into a little bed!  Hubby designed another that's sorta the same, but had additional storage underneath.

We want to use bamboo for the floors, walls, cabinets and countertops... basically everything!!
We want to be as green as possible.

We figure we can heat our tiny home for $60 a year. A YEAR!!! If we got solar panels, we could make money selling energy back to the electric company.

Anyway, whats right for you may not be right for you, but I think this fits us exactly.  Anyone else interested?  I'd like to hear about others who live in one or want to...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 03:03:43 PM »

I would completely love to do this. Unfortunately, the boy would never go for it  Roll Eyes

I would love to follow along with your plans as the develop! Updates are a must for a great project like this....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009 03:09:15 PM »

I LOVE the idea... but why the washer/dryer?  Everywhere has laundromats and it seems like the weight of it and the energy it takes to run would outweigh the benefits. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009 03:29:44 PM »

When I first read your post I though, "no way, that's crazy!"
then I read it a few more times....
I think this is a wonderfully crazy idea, alternative ways to live are definitely the way of the future...
I am realistic though for myself, and know I am way to attached to all my "treasures" to give them up, but I applaud you for doing this. wow, and the front porch is too adorable

THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
Lilak Tygress
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009 04:02:38 PM »

We want to be green, and earth friendly, but I just need the convenience of having a machine do all my cleaning for me in my home.  We thought about the apt size stackable washer and dryer, but then discovered one machine that does both!!

We're also thinking of using an on demand hot water heater so we're not wasting that energy.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Just as I am
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009 04:29:19 PM »

I love the Tiny house idea!

I bought a 2 story barn thru Home Depot. My intent was to sell my crafts out of it. But it really would make a cute place to live. Here is a photo   

The barn measures 16 x 18. Under the stairs would be the perfect place to install a small kitchenette. I have seen a stove, refrigerator and sink combo appliance. (here is a link to show you what I am talking about  http://www.nextag.com/sink-refrigerator/search-html )

I finished the inside of the downstairs with hardwood floors, insulation, drywall and electric up and down. I also built a front porch and put in a turbine vent upstairs. All I have left upstairs is to finish the walls and ceiling. 
It

I don't remember the total cost but maybe $10,000 and they installed the basic barn.

I wouldn't mind living in it.

I love the furniture you are checking out. Do you own the land you want to put this on? Where do you live. Does it get cold?

Let me know how this works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookworm2butterfly
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009 06:02:20 PM »

i am going through something similar, though not quite so extreme.  i am moving out of a shared house that i had been in for 3 years into a 485 sq ft studio.  there is nothing like downsizing to make you think about what you own and what is important. 
i would just build in a breakfast bar, and use stackable stools to save space.  i also prefer doing laundry in-home than using the apartment's laundry.  instead of getting a wash/dryer combo, i have been considering one of these portable washing machines:  http://www.laundry-alternative.com/products/Wonderwash.html 
they are much cheaper, faster, and practical for a single person or a couple.  i would just designate two laundry days/week to do it, then line dry.  they have spin dryers on the same website, which will take out most of the water for a quicker line or machine dry.
good luck!  this is a fantastic way to save the environment, and $$ too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009 06:45:31 PM »

I love those Tumbleweed homes, I've been looking at them for a few years.  Can't wait to see pictures of yours!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
olive_juice
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009 06:51:14 PM »

I really like this idea. I saw a special about it on TV once, i think.
But have you seen those Ikea tables that fold out of the wall? They'd save even more space than the drop leaf tables, since they fold flush against the wall:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80091713
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009 06:55:51 PM »

makes sense.  Oh this is such a good idea.  But where would all of my books go?!
I know... i know... the greener version is to give them to a library.  But I just can't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Curly Hair: From Wet to Set
Getting Salon Style Extensions At Home
2013 Summer Hair Trend: Medium Length Cuts
How to Style 1920s Short Hair
Hair Care Tips for Aging and Thinning Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...