A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Egg Soap (recipe & tutorial)  (Read 24569 times)
Tags for this thread: soap , egg , recipe , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2009 06:09:36 PM »

Disclaimer: In all honesty, this recipe is based on a recipe I found in Susan Miller Cavitch’s book years ago, but as I lost that book 5 years ago in a move, and the recipe has since been combined with my great-grandmother’s recipes, so credit goes to Ms. Cavitch and to my great-grandmother Sutton. Smiley (Needless to say my great-grandmother wasn’t soaping with olive and coconut oils!)

Vegan note: this soap is NOT vegan friendly at all. I apologize!

This is my (modern) farm soap. The scent is BB’s Oatmeal, Milk & Honey scent which is easily my favorite soap scent EVER. It’s strong yet subtle and lasts forever. It’s also very unisex. I recommend using an earthy scent because beeswax and  lanolin have very smoky, earthy scents naturally, so pink sugar or strawberry won’t quite go with this…

For anyone who has not worked with lanolin or beeswax before, these oils make VERY hard bars of soap. They also trace VERY quick. You can go from soup to sludge in a few minutes. So bear that in mind when adding egg yolks & scent. Smiley

This is lanolin. It is the oil stripped from sheep wool once they sheer them:

Why egg yolks? Why not? The idea behind them is that they add a rich, moisturizing quality to the soap. Truly with milk, lanolin and eggs, this soap is very nice on your skin. I think Cavitch’s recipe had a bunch of exfoliants in it which I left out because I personally like to either pamper or scrub. Not both! This recipe, as I mentioned, is a blending of two recipes. If that breaks any rules, I will totally take it down. Smiley

Farm Bar:

15 oz. olive oil
16 oz. coconut oil
23 oz. beef tallow (see notes below)
4 oz. lanolin
2 oz. beeswax
3 egg yolks
1.5 - 2oz. fragrance oil

8.10 oz. sodium hydroxide*
16 oz. water
6 oz. milk (I use skim cow milk that we drink, lol… but this is optional. If you want a pure white bar of soap, exclude the milk and just use 19oz. of water. I make this without milk when sending to my grandmother because her mother would roll in her grave if she saw me “wasting” milk on soap!)

Note: Mix the lye and water as usual and allow to cool to around 100F. Right before you are going to add the lye to the oils, add the milk to the lye and stir well to combine. It’ll turn a funky yellowish-orange color, but don’t worry. It may also give off an ammonia smell. Again, don't worry, it's normal! Pour immediately into the oils so that it doesn’t have time to totally curdle the milk.  See below for the egg yolk instructions.

Adding milk to the lye right before you begin to soap:

Tutorial for anyone interested in adding egg yolks to soap:

First and foremost, your yolks MUST be room temperature! Cold eggs will curdle no matter how much you temper them, trust me. The night before I am going to soap, I set however many eggs I want out on the kitchen counter. I use 3 for this recipe, but you can use anywhere from 1-4, I think. Any more than four and it might get funky…

Before you start soaping, separate your eggs (you do not need nor want the whites). I put my yolks in a glass measuring cup and whisk them so that you have a cohesive mixture. Set aside:

Melt your oils as usual. When everything has reached the appropriate temperatures**, remove 1c. of the oil mixture and add to the eggs, whisking constantly until well blended. This is tempering the eggs so that they don’t curdle or scramble. Set aside.

Remove about a cup (it doesn't have to be exact) of oils:

Whisking the oil & eggs:

Add the lye to the main pot of oils and mix soap until light trace. Add any fragrance, colors, and the egg & oil mixture. Mix well until full trace. Make sure you mix constantly and well after adding eggs. You do not want pieces of scrambled egg in your soap. Voila! Egg soap!  Sadly, I do not have a picture of me adding the yolks to the soap because you have to stir continuously and I ran outta hands!

Soap in mold. I put oatmeal on top to give it a neat look, inspired by Addictedtosoap's lovely creations:

You may add egg yolks to any soap, really. I like it in this recipe for the kitsch value.

* I ran this through The Sage’s lye calculator, but as with any recipe from the internet, double-check it! Smiley

**This is one of the few recipes where I say lower temperatures are critical. You don’t want to go too low because of the beeswax, but you don’t want to be higher than, say, 110F because the eggs will curdle, no matter how well you temper them.

Notes on beef tallow: If you do not like the idea of working with tallow, or cannot get your hands on any, you can make this soap with palm oil, lard or veggie shortening and it’s just as nice. If the idea of rendering your own tallow makes your stomach churn (I’ve done it a few times in the past and all I can say is *shudder*), http://www.coloradoorganics.net sells pre-rendered tallow that is ready for soaping! They deliver anywhere in the country. Occasionally “ethnic” grocery stores have it; I used to be able to buy it at an Afrikaans market when I lived downtown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009 06:21:31 PM »

I came across a few egg soap recipes..while it intrigued me I never really wanted to try it..I guess I was nervous about making it into scrambled egg..hehe

I love your pics and your detail is superb..I hope to one day try it..and thanks for sharing the recipe..I will keep it in my notebook..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 06:23:09 PM »

I never really wanted to try it..I guess I was nervous about making it into scrambled egg..hehe

The key is to temper them and then mix constantly after you add them. The first time I tried this I didn't mix well enough and yeah... that soap is still referred to as the "lye omelet."  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 08:21:10 PM »

This is wonderful Nymeria!!!  Great explanation.

I've been wanting to make another soap with lanolin.  Also have had plenty of request for a lanolin lotion (those die hard fiber artist).  Maybe tomorrow after I unmold my other soaps I'll give another try at a lanolin soap and lotion.

Hens aren't laying right now, so I'll have to put the egg soap on hold for a while  (it's great for a shampoo bar!!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Nymeria

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009 09:03:17 PM »

This is wonderful Nymeria!!!  Great explanation.

I've been wanting to make another soap with lanolin.  Also have had plenty of request for a lanolin lotion (those die hard fiber artist).  Maybe tomorrow after I unmold my other soaps I'll give another try at a lanolin soap and lotion.

Hens aren't laying right now, so I'll have to put the egg soap on hold for a while  (it's great for a shampoo bar!!)

Thank you for the compliment! I have to admit I'm a big fan of lanolin. I live and die by lanolin lip balms.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

canto_xii
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009 05:12:01 PM »

Thanks for the tips on working with eggs!  I tried it one time but didn't know about bringing the eggs to room temperature and tried to temper with cold eggs.  It was pretty gross and needless to say I didn't end up adding eggs to the recipe.

Also, I like the whole oats on top and I've been wondering how that BB FO is.  I'm gonna have to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celadon Soap & Craft Co.: http://celadonsoap.artfire.com
Burnt Pages (my blog): http://burntpages.blogspot.com
Wist: http://wists.com/dirigible

"The time for questions is over.  Now is the time for unbridled optimism!"
Nymeria

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009 06:24:35 PM »

Thanks for the tips on working with eggs!  I tried it one time but didn't know about bringing the eggs to room temperature and tried to temper with cold eggs.  It was pretty gross and needless to say I didn't end up adding eggs to the recipe.

Also, I like the whole oats on top and I've been wondering how that BB FO is.  I'm gonna have to try it!

hehe yep! Cold eggs will give you goopy mess! I live and die by that fragrance oil. Oh it is wonderful! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009 08:30:58 PM »

Wow, just stumbled across this...

This soap looks awesome!  Do you have any photos of it cut up? 

Thanks for the tutorial; it's so detailed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009 06:45:55 AM »

This soap rocks! I often take weird time of the day showers because of my rheumatoid arthritis (the heat helps loosen my joints up) and I used the egg soap for my 330 am shower! It's awesome! Where do you get the fo for this? I love oats n honey fo's that aren't too almondy, I always do two batches of oats n honey when I'm at it, one unscented for the purists and one with the fo because yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009 08:47:05 AM »

It is from Bramble Berry. I have tried probably 3 or 4 different Oatmeal, Milk & Honey FOs and that one is by far my favorite. I think it's fairly unisex, too. ETA: I should say it's BB's FO and NOT the Cybilla one. The Cybilla one was very different, I thought, but it could have been a mental thing. Smiley

I'm VERY glad you are enjoying it. My goal is to lure more people to the egg side of the force...  Grin
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009 08:51:04 AM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Writer Chris Eboch Explains Haunted
Personal Trainer Bob Greene Talks About His Book
Siddhartha Mukherjee on the Emperor of All Maladies
C.J. Chivers Talks About the Gun
Author Ann Pearlman Talks About the Christmas Cookie Club
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...