A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,942
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things..."  (Read 26996 times)
Tags for this thread: alice_in_wonderland , wedding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreamncolor
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009 07:55:35 PM »

Alice in Wonderland is so fantastic. But my family would also be weirded out by it.  I would do little antique bottles with stoppers and definitely the "Eat Me" "Drink Me" tags.  Or could you do custom candies- like v-day hearts with "eat me" on them? I personally would go with the shabby chic-esque version of Alice- like the teapots and muted pastels. Some inspiration from Alice the game: balls and jacks for children and packs of cards for the adult. That's all I got for now...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
midnight

I live where hens catch mice and cats lay eggs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009 01:54:59 PM »

I officially love you, and wish you would marry me! However, since that is not going to happen...

I love that you want to do it understated and not too 'Disney'. The distinction I always made between the two on a really basic level is that to me Disney means VERY bright brash bold colours, whereas I always thought of Lewis Carols world as a little more muted and sepia - think dusty rose and cream, pale blues yellows and pastels?
So maybe going for a bit of a victorian edge to it might be quite delicate and dainty (especially for the grownups, less so for the kids). Lace table cloths, doilies, cucumber sandwitches and scones- that kinda thing.

Oooh, when I had an Alice party, we made sure that for the 'tea party' ie the food we had a looooong mad hatter table with a white table cloth and all the chairs were different sizes and styles. We also served sweets and food in tea cups and teapots - mayeb you could do that? You could also get those tresis archway thingsfor gardens or smother them with roses? you could use them with a path to lead people places or just use them as decorations or at the doors.

As for you, I dont know if you have an idea or a dress alrady (mostly people do) but if you wore a white dress with a blue sash that would look very alice without being overboard

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2452656012_bc07114e35_o.jpg
and then you would have your something blue! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midnight_Satyne

Waxing Lyrical and Tripping the Light Fantastic
madamq
madamq

ccchhheeessee!! :]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009 12:39:05 AM »

Wow! This seems like sooooo much fun!
I would definetely love to have an Alice in Wonderland wedding!

I am a huge fan of everything DIY.. so here's some suggestions i thought of, sorry if they are repetitive (i didn't read the whole thread lol)

First favors:
I recommend doing a little chinese-style take-out box that either has "eat me" on the side or somewhere on yr candy/cookie/whatever you are giving away. I think a small cookie would be nice, with "eat me" iced on there. I have a great recipe to make icing that hardens and looks shiny, like a cookie you buy from the store with the super shiny, hard icing.
On the inside you could also include a small poem, or phrase from the book/movie.

here's an example of the box from another post on craftster:

and this is what they had inside:

Another idea, i've been making favor/gift boxes for my web site on etsy. Here's the website I used that has a pdf template. I clicked on the "petal favor box".. It will be really simple to change the flower to a heart, if you like that better.

http://vintageglamblog.com/2009/01/freebie-fridays-favor-box-templates/

decoration:
I like the idea of the mixed and matched china; for the centerpiece you should have a large teapot filled with roses and then set the teacups around on the table.

They large chess pieces sounded like a great idea! I would definetely do those! I'm sorry i can't think of anything better to carve them out of, other than styrofoam.
If you are planning on an outdoor wedding, assuming you are not using pews I thought it would be really interesting to do a small, fake chess board and use some of the chairs as the pieces. I've only been to a few weddings, but the classic example of the wedding is everyone is facing the couple at the front and there are chairs on both sides of the aisle.. Have the immediate family from both sides sit in the "chessboard" chairs and the aisle be red carpet. The main colours of Alice in Wonderland are black, white, and red... It seems weird as i'm describing it lol, but it looks cool in my head.

And a crappy paint drawing of it lol:

I also read that someone recommended paper lanterns.. I like small origami ballon lights, if you are interested in those, I have a picture.. They are really cute and do put out some light.. But, i recommend using the LED christmas light, because they don't heat up like the regular lights do... and get the white wire, it looks prettier.
I have instructions to make them if interested!

Here's some I've made:

OH! Another brainstorm just hit me! For the lanterns or ballon lights.. which ever you choose.. Pick white ones and paint small-ish hearts on them sparatically.

Attire:
I thought it would be cute to have the little girl dress as Alice.. Since this will be a themed wedding, you are obviously the bride, but you need an Alice there.. The flower girl! That would be adorable!

You could ask your guests to wear a certain coulour perhaps? If you don't want people to be in costume it would be cute to possible give each guest a heart to pin on their clothing as they arrive? Or not? lol

Thats all I have for right now. I'm rather sleepy! But i'll keep brainstorming for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AVAILABLE FOR PERSONAL SWAP - PM ME!

Ravelry account:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/madamq

view my BLOG at:
http://madamq-coffeequeen.blogspot.com/

and my ETSY at:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6189483
madamq
madamq

ccchhheeessee!! :]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009 12:57:50 AM »

BTW.. here are my little favor boxes... And sorry to post sooooooo much lol Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AVAILABLE FOR PERSONAL SWAP - PM ME!

Ravelry account:
http://www.ravelry.com/people/madamq

view my BLOG at:
http://madamq-coffeequeen.blogspot.com/

and my ETSY at:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6189483
Chellery

We're both social halfwits & I think its fantastic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2009 10:01:49 PM »

Goodness!!

I thought I might share an update of what I've been scheming lately.

Here is the ginormous idea-board I've been spending too much time on at work this week.  Wink

I REALLY love the dress in the top right corner on the blue background, but they don't seem to make it anymore. In any case, that's the style I'm going for. I think I've settled on White with a blue sash for me, and blue with white sashes for the bridesmaids. I sort of want a tiny top hat... I don't care if it's inconsistent, I still want one.  Tongue

Flower Girl will probably be a miniature (and more adorable) version of my dress.

Boy wants an "ivory" tux with coat tails. and a top hat of course. Smiley We're thinking groomsmen in pastel vests with bow-ties... 

I'm dying to make those Martha *shudder* Stewart tissue poms! They remind me of giant dandelions. I keep picturing giant flowers towering above all the guests.

I have not been able to find tea cups online for what I consider to be reasonable prices. I have two hypothetical solutions to this:
1. Search Garage sales and thrift stores and begin to assemble a HUGE pile of mismatched china. Pray they will be cheaper than the ones I looked at on eBay
2. Hire someone to cater the tea service and bring their own damn tea cups.

I found a company in the Denver area who will provide option number 2 for $500 for groups of over 100 people. I just would rather not have all of my guests line up at what looks like a portable Starbucks counter...

If I cannot provide tea cups as favors, I think we'll do sugar cookies shaped like Hearts, Diamonds, Spades and Clubs, and glazed the appropriate colors.

I'm dying to do a bottle of wine labeled "Drink Me" at each table. I have construction paper, and appropriate rubber stamps already.

I want chess king and queen cake toppers, and considered doing chess boards as some of the centerpieces, (cheap at garage sales and perhaps possible entertainment value also...?)

I also want to do a big wooden sign. One with lots of arrows, Some of them more practical than others:
This way, That Way, Up, Down, Parking, The Loo, The Reception, The Shortcut...etc.

I originally wanted to try my hand at an "alternative" bouquet option, but the recent suggestion of big white daisies certainly does speak to me.

A good friend of mine also made a suggestion on the subject of giant chess pieces:
"A few bishop chess pieces could be appropriate. (Or you could just ask Matt's mom (she is performing our ceremony) to only move diagonally...)"

So far so good, I guess. Boy is beginning to wonder what he's gotten himself into. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every invention, every achievement, has come out of dissatisfaction, not serentiy. No one ever said: 'Things are perfect, let's invent fire.' "
blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2009 06:46:57 AM »

Your plans so far sound fab! I especially like the signs.... Hahah I wonder how many people will look up at the "Up" sign!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
olive_juice
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2009 08:19:44 AM »

On the teacups, I recently threw a bridal shower for a friend and gave out teacups as favors and it was VERY expensive. I payed about $7/ea and only bought the absolute cheapest i could find. The cheapest ones i got were $3.50 (they were orange FireKing glass teacups and solid blue Royal China ones with white interiors... my favorites out of the lot!) at a local antique shop, and the most expensive was $8.

Oh, and I think you should go for the top hat! :.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2009 08:33:00 AM »

ya know...you can get really cheap tea cups at the goodwill especially on sale...but...think about this...not a lot of people drink tea and some (many) may not take the cups and then your left with TONS of cups that you have to figure out what to do with..just a thought..but I think your idea is a great one Wink  I think your idea of the cookies is really great...I would love that as a favor if I was the one receiving it.   At my wedding (mind you it was 10 years ago)  I had all desserts and I hired a "traveling" espresso bar...they went REALLY fast..used wonderful coffee and no one had to stand in line...I had over 500 people at our wedding..it worked out really well. So hiring a tea service may be less stressful to you and a lot of fun for your guests and beautiful! I think you have some great ideas and your wedding sounds like it's going to be stunning!   I think the signs are going to be great!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009 08:36:22 AM by SunflowerSmiles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
mokba43
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009 08:57:46 AM »

Have you tried Ikea for the teacups?

You could use them for the place tags, nice lovely pastel colour tag tied to each cup with the name of the person whose seat is and then they can take it home, if you can get some cheap ones at ikea, maybe even write the name of the person in whimsy handwriting on the cup as favour and place tag?

i think garage sale/thrift store finding is great, you are more likely to find them cheap and mismatched; perhaps you should talk to the manager and arrange a discount? specially if you bring them back after the wedding!

when we had our AIW party we DID NOT serve tea, but the cocktails were served out of teapots and we drunk them in our teacups and it looked fab and was much fun!!

I love the wedding dress!!! I have seen small top hats for hair arrangements, tehy look so funky!

Awaiting pics, cant wait!

Claudia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009 11:38:20 AM »

by the way, i remembered seeing this girl's top hat wedding thing and thought you'd like it:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53280.msg1996866#msg1996866

how cute is that? i could never pull it off, but it sure looks awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Spatchcock a Turkey
How to Make Baked Eggs with Turkey Hash for Breakfast
Thanksgiving Must - Haves to Save You From Even Holiday Mishaps
Four Unique Cranberry Sauce Recipes
How To Turn Your Thanksgiving Leftovers Into Cajun Turkey Pasta
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...