A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "The time has come," the walrus said, "to talk of many things..."  (Read 26443 times)
Tags for this thread: alice_in_wonderland , wedding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chellery

We're both social halfwits & I think its fantastic

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2009 11:44:31 AM »

I never would have thought the boy would agree to an Alice in Wonderland wedding.. but somehow I have been granted permission to do just that. "As long as I get to be the Mad Hatter," he says.

Deal.  Grin

We're still planning to wait a while to set a date. We want to get out of debt, and have some things in order first. But I can't be expected to let a craft project like that just sit and WAIT. I have to start planning NOW.

Not to mention he got me Photoshop for Christmas, and I have just been dying for an excuse to use it! I haven't had access to Photoshop since my last Graphic Design class... which was a very long time ago.

But I digress...

Here are some of the things I have been putting together while I re-teach myself how to use the blasted program. (I'd forgotten what an "Adobe-headache" feels like...  Angry)

Invitation Back: This is my favorite part; it's mildly threatening! Do you think it's too much?

Invitation Front:

RSVP Cards:

FYI: (To include driving directions and a map on the back)

I've been trying to write all the little poems for them, because that just seemed like the Alice-y thing to do. I'm not sure how I feel about the FYI one yet... But it's a place holder until real inspiration strikes. I haven't yet come up with ANYTHING good enough to use on the inside of the invitation yet... I'm totally stumped there.

I'm trying to avoid the "Disney" Alice as much as possible. I like her just fine, but I don't want a Disney wedding.

Here are some of the other ideas I've collected so far...
*Giant playing cards bent and staked into the ground for croquet! (Perhaps with stuffed animal hedgehogs and plastic lawn flamingos?)
*Mismatched Tea Cups at each place setting
*A close friend's mom is performing the ceremony for us, and will make an AMAZING Queen of Hearts.
*Top Hats for the Groomsmen
*My soon to be step-son is 6, and wants to be the White Rabbit.
*A ring pillow shaped like a giant pocket watch!
*Black and white checkerboard aisle runner! Perhaps giant chess pieces along the aisle too...
*Giant mushroom/flower wall decorations for reception!
*I want to duplicate the glass table with the key and the tiny door in the wall at the bottom of the rabbit hole. (This was always my favorite part of the Disney version.)
*White silk roses half dipped in red paint, dried to look all drippy...
*Tiny topiary centerpieces with white/red roses

The other thing I'm trying to avoid is blatant costumes. No bunny ears or face paint. I'm picturing clothes that sort of just HINT at costumes. I don't want to over-do it and come out looking like a high-school play. I can't seem to find too many pictures that match how I'm imagining it though.
I'm thinking tea-length dresses and sashes and hair bows, And top hats and bow ties...

Google seems to only turn up Alice-themed kid's parties. I can't seem to find very many Alice Weddings other than the Ashlee Simpson one, which irritated me a little, and isn't at anywhere near what I want to do. ANYTHING is possible when you can afford to pay somebody to do it all for you! It just wouldn't be any fun that way. I'm going for as much DIY as possible.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated! I never realized how complex planning this was going to be!

***Updated 5/16***
I just finished these this afternoon! I'm probably going to wrap them in ribbon still, but I was so excited I just had to show them off.
I was going to glue buttons to their centers, but I can't decide if I like them better the way they are.

***Updated 6/10***
So, this is the second draft of the invites. I like them better... I think. I would love some second opinions!

The outside of the cards: To fold down the center... "hamburger style" (flipped so you can read RSVP on the back)
 -  

The inside of the cards:
 -  

Directions will be printed on the backs of the smaller ones.

I'm pretty pleased with them. Now if only we could agree on a date so I can start filling in some of those blanks!

***Updated 7/14***
So, I just finished this poem for the "Dress Code" section of the website. I am pretty proud of this one:

"Come in your finest!" the Duchess declares.
"Come in your top hats or with bows in your hair"

"Come in your sneakers," the Mad Hatter shouts.
"Come in your blue jeans, with your caps turned about."

"Come in your jammies," the Cheshire Cat smirks.
"Come in your slippers and over-sized shirts"

"Come how you're comfy!" the Queen shouts at last.
"We'll sit and have tea, then croquet in the grass,
Do I care how you're dressed, sir? Not in the least.
You can even come late (long as you're not the priest!)"

There are some lines that don't flow as well as I would like. Any suggested re-wording is welcome. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009 11:21:20 PM by Chellery - Reason: new info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every invention, every achievement, has come out of dissatisfaction, not serentiy. No one ever said: 'Things are perfect, let's invent fire.' "
oxynitrate
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009 12:02:08 PM »

Oh that is so neat!  I want one!  You'll have to take thousands of pictures for us to see! And keep informing us of your progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Before Me Nothing Was Created But Things Eternal. And I Create Eternally.
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 12:12:03 PM »

Wow, you are going to have an amazing wedding ceremony!!  Those invitations are perfect - I love the Tenniel illustrations and the poems.  I think all your ideas are awesome, but "White silk roses half dipped in red paint, dried to look all drippy..." is by far the COOLEST THING EVER.  I'd love to see pics of the decorations and non-costume-y costumes on craftster after the wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
mokba43
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 12:21:51 PM »

The invite is amazing! and your ideas are fab!
I will root through my other computer, im sure i have pics of a few AIW weddings as 3 years back my halloween party was themed as such.

The mismatched crockery is great, and it looks fantastic, i trawled charity shops for cups and plates.
We hung strings of cards as garlands for decorations and i made bows on the chairs with stripey fabric sashes i made in the colours of the cheshire cat.

This may be a bit too much for a wedding tho!

Good luck and post more pics!

Claudia
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009 01:15:52 PM »

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE INVITATIONS.  (except that decline seems to be spelled wrong.  But it's prob just  a typo since photoshop won't spell check for you.  The poems are fantastic and I love the don't be late, it's not threatening at all.  I absolutely think you should have mis matched crockery - and centerpieces arranged in teapots would be fantastic! How many people will you invite?  If it's a small wedding you could give hankies as favors, if not then maybe a hand mixed tea in little sachets for people?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nezumi_chan
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009 01:59:54 PM »

You're invitations are amazing!  The poems are perfect! 

You might want to set up a pretty hookah! 

Me and my girls love having theme parties this year we're all turning 25.  My party this year is going to be themed Alice in Wonderland.  I know what you mean about everything on google being kid parties.  I can't wait for Tim Burton's version to come out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chellery

We're both social halfwits & I think its fantastic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009 02:23:35 PM »

I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT THE INVITATIONS.  (except that decline seems to be spelled wrong.  But it's prob just  a typo since photoshop won't spell check for you.

Oh my goodness I'm glad you said so!!  (The boy was asked to proofread, but he apparently was not doing so very wholeheartedly...) I never even think about it any more since EVERYTHING has spell check!

Teapot centerpieces is a great idea too!!

I LOVE the idea of doing playing card garlands... I have lots of time, and lots of crafty people to help assemble such things too... hmmm I shall have to start rummaging around thrift stores!

So much for getting any housework done this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every invention, every achievement, has come out of dissatisfaction, not serentiy. No one ever said: 'Things are perfect, let's invent fire.' "
muffinpants
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009 02:37:58 PM »

I LOVE those invitations, and all of your ideas sound so cool. And so much fun to put together! Themed weddings are usually not really my thing, but this sound fantastic! I can't wait to see more pictures of your preparations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen81
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009 06:39:21 PM »

If you are having little appetizers or food-favours on the tables you MUST put little "eat me" tags on them.

And maybe on the wine/water glasses you could put little tags that say "drink me".

You know...

etsy would be a great place to get a lot of cute little antiquey looking tags!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20752844
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19513360

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20743679
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20643858
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009 06:51:46 PM by Kristen81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009 11:00:16 PM »

This is going to be awesome!

If you're using a checkered carpet up to the pulpit, I have a great idea for how to incorporate chess pieces! Make one row of pews black pieces, and the other white on the ends. So each seat you go by there's a large half 3-D figure attached to the outside edge of the pew. Like on a board.

Excuse the crappyness of the picture, but imagine these 3D in Papier-mache spray painted black, with flat backs against the pews. But not neccessarilly so big that they block their veiws... proportions are hard! lol!   Perhaps even make the black pieces for the grooms side and the white for the brides? You could have red roses wrapped around them even? So many ideas!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Feeding the Super Bowl Crowd, from Martha Stewart
January 12th: Victory Sausage
How to Make a Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Beer Brats Recipe
How to Make Pork and Hominy Stew Part 3/3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...