A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,879
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: a book from single pages?  (Read 884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2009 11:08:17 AM »

I've got lots of info & patterns etc on single sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 (A4-ish) paper. Besides taking it to a copyshop to be spiral-bound or 3-hole punched (I'd rather not have a removable page style) is there something I could myself? It'll be more than one book, and something I'd probably do whenever I was at my comfort-zone for dealing with loose papers.

I was thinking of gluing the edges together, like a scrap pad, and covering the glue with a cardstock (?) 'spine' but I don't know enough about bookbinding to know if that's reasonable.

If it makes a difference, it's not something that needs to be archive/historical quality, it's just a way to keep info together. I'd rather have the paper than pc files (especially since I don't have a scanner anyway)

I do know though, that folding the papers in half to make signatures won't work just because the info won't be in order anymore once it's bound. (Although.... if one page is folded in half for a signature with 4 pages, page 1 & 4 have the info and pages 2 & 3 will be blank for notes. That might work for some, I'll have to think about that.)

Any info, ideas, input greatly appreciated! Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antigone
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009 02:18:26 PM »

You could take a piece of paper and turn it into a spine that looks like an accordion, fold it lengthwise \/\/\/ and glue each of the edges of your pages to the inside of a \/. Then you can glue the gaping areas of the spine together. If that makes sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dbh2ppa
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009 02:13:51 PM »

what you descibed is perfectly reazonable, it's actually used to produce cheap paperbacks.
look up the term "perfect binding" for some ideas on how to do it ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Made a cross from knitting needles,
made a grave from hoover bags
specially for the woman in the wall"
(The beautiful south - The woman in the wall)
SorayaTheGreat
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009 01:12:42 PM »

The method you mentioned is actually how I bind the books I've been making recently.
It seems to be holding up fairly well. You just have to make sure that all of your pages are lined up. I usually shuffle things around and smack it (not really SMACKING it, but I think you get it) against my desk.
Here's a really great tutorial for making photo journals. It's basically what you asked about:http://photojojo.com/content/diy/make-your-own-photo-notebook-journal/
I don't use photographs for my covers, I like using thick cardboard for a sturdier cover.
Also, I use modge podge and not elmers glue. basically because it's all I have lying around =P
I hope this helped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Huh?
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009 07:36:33 AM »

Just like antigone said: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/768339/best_homemade_book_binding/
I'm making ^that^ book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Suewaackydoux
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009 09:11:52 PM »

The problem with perfect binding is that it isnt. Perfect, that is. My Christmas gifts to family, in the distant past, were books of poetry. My daughter and my youngest son wrote poetry in those days and I would print, illustrate and bind their poems for family and friends.

Perfect binding is basically the same as making scratch pads, except you use a glue instead of liquid rubber. Any pages that are not totally even against the spine will fall out.
No, they are not supposed to. And they must be in a padding press or very carefully heavily weighted down immediately after gluing or they will warp. No it isnt supposed to warp. 3 cement blocks minimum. And you will want to bind at least several extra pages to the front and back because they will get ruined. No, they...well, you know. After it has properly dried and cured, and you have trimmed off the ruined pages and glued a binding on the horrible truth comes out. It will not open out flat. But you cant read it closed. So you open it as wide as you can, and the spine cracks. This happens a lot even on commercially bound books. To me, anyway. I ended up folding the pages and staple binding them. But that makes for smaller books.

The best binding is large sheets sewn in booklets and these booklets are sewn into a larger book which is glued as described. It is a tad sturdier.

I keep lots of reference materials, too. I used file folders in cabinets for years. And for materials I used often, large loose leaf binders. Neither was totally satisfactory. Now I have been trying to scan my files, and I am not totally pleased with the quality of my scans in relationship to the size of the files. Some people are impossible to please.

My most satisfactory method at this time is to create a really cool pouch of upholstry-weight fabric and place the sheets of reference materials in it, drawing out the materials as needed, then returning them. I have to limit the embellishments because of my feline roommate who gets bored and chews them off. I have a lovely large basket that holds several pouches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antigone
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009 02:22:34 PM »

I didn't mean perfect binding; I meant making an accordion VVVVVV of a separate piece of paper and gluing the book pages inside each of the Vs. Should be much more secure than perfect bound.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riechan
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009 02:35:22 PM »

I am soo going to try this
I made 2 books with the signature methode, but I want a book with A4 size paper and I don't want to bind it with A3 paper
This is a great idea !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog
My Shop @ fb
Junque journal Along!
50 Projects in 2014!
Anyone interested in a postcard swap? I have too many... PM me! ^^
beckashell

Television addict.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009 06:36:20 PM »

I didn't mean perfect binding; I meant making an accordion VVVVVV of a separate piece of paper and gluing the book pages inside each of the Vs. Should be much more secure than perfect bound.

Huh thats a really cool idea! I'm so annoyed I didn't see this post earlier. Just the other week I needed to put all my lose paper in a book. I did the 3 hole punch way Sad

OH well, next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to choose meat for your Meatloaf
Home Style Meatloaf Recipe
The Best Salad in the History of Mankind
How to Fry and Serve Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Bread Tomatoes when Making Fried Green Tomatoes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...