A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
813 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hidden in plain site! Cat litter cabinet  (Read 237710 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , cat_litter , litter_box , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

I have a little geek in me. Do you?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 07, 2009 10:06:41 AM »

So my husband and I just moved into a new apartment. We love it in every way except, we realized in horror after we moved in, that there was no place to hide a kitty litter box.
Our choices were: In the kitchen (ewwww!); In the living room; in the bathroom; or in a closet.

Basically, besides having cat turd smelling clothes and putting it in a closet, there was no where in our new place to put the litter box where it wouldn't be a featured piece of furniture.

Since the bathroom in our new place is pretty large, our solution was to go to the kingdom all things "affordable design" (Ikea) and purchase a washbasin cabinet.

Then we went to the hardware store and got ourselves a nice little kitty door and installed it into the side of our cabinet.

We offset it a little bit by putting the door on the far back side, and putting the kitty litter box on the far front side

THis lovely little design feature forces my kitties to jump out of the box and walk about on a kitty litter tracking mat seen in the picture above. This results in almost no litter tracking out side of the cabinet!!!

My husband and I absolutely love it. It hides the business box so that guest can't immediately tell that it isn't just a nice piece of furniture. It keeps all of the kitty mess contained in a the container (there's room for the scoop in there too!) and there is virtually no smell! Problem solved! The other great thing about this is that if we move into another place where the space in the bathroom isn't so generous, it wouldn't look too bad sitting in a hall or entrance somewhere.

I know that they sell things similar to this online, but the cost is prohibitive and they don't meet all of the requirements I need, i.e. a good looking cabinet, a cabinet that doesn't have to be used in a bathroom, is large enough to store scoop, able to accomodate tracking mat to catch all litter, open from the front (instead of the top) for easier cleaning access.

What do you think? Does it actually draw attention to the fact that it's a kitty litter box and defeat the purpose of hidding it?

Bonus action shot!

Love to hear your comments!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009 10:13:37 AM »

I LOVE it!!! I want one now, but I'm sure our little diva probably wouldn't use it if I went to the trouble to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 10:16:05 AM »

This is brilliant!  Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
holliet79
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 10:31:18 AM »

What an awesome idea! I think you just solved all my kitty litter woes! What hardware store did you get the kitty door from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009 10:46:25 AM »

WOW I think that is amazing!!!! I can't have cats due to my husband's allergies but I always hate the litter mess at like friend's houses. I think I might have to pass this idea on to a few people I know Smiley

Hitting THIS ROCKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009 10:47:57 AM »

I LOVE it!!! I want one now, but I'm sure our little diva probably wouldn't use it if I went to the trouble to make one.

We did have to "train" our cats to use it. For the first few days, we left the front doors open to the cabinet. Then for a few days, we closed the front doors and moved the cabinet away from the wall. Since the back to this is open, the cats could enter from behind. Then we pushed the cabinet against the wall and taped the door open. Then finally, after about two weeks total, we removed the tape and the cats went in and out without any difficulties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

This is a new twist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009 10:51:18 AM »

Fabulous idea!  I love problem solvers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--1/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
This may not happen, since I have had major surgery on my shoulder.
Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009 10:52:22 AM »

What an awesome idea! I think you just solved all my kitty litter woes! What hardware store did you get the kitty door from?

Home Depot or Lowes. I can't remember which one though. I did some research to find a "safe" one. I guess there are a lot of cat doors that pinch the kitties poor tails in the door behind them. Hasn't happened with this one. The brand of cat door is called "PetSafe" and it's a 2-way Cat Flap. I just got the small size even though the large one was recommended for my cat's sizes. I knew, though, that cats can squeeze themselves in and out of some pretty tight places. My 17 lb cats have no problem using the small size door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamemom42
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009 10:59:02 AM »

This may be the most impressive thing I've seen on Craftster so far.  My 17 year old kitty insist on going in a certain corner of the kitchen whether or not there is a box there.  I will be looking for a suitable cabinet and making one of these!  You should see the horrible face guests make when they see that my litter box is in the kitchen.  Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftymary
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009 11:38:22 AM »

This is brilliant.  I'm ashamed to say my cat litter box is tucked in a corner, hoping no one really notices it.  I'm sure your cat enjoys the privacy too:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Charcoal Portraits
How to Draw Still Life
How to Write Copperplate Calligraphy
How to Create Calligraphy Art
How to Choose Calligraphy Styles
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...