A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Burnt tree of life.  (Read 13334 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , woodburn , woodwork  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poe poe
« on: February 07, 2009 07:36:54 AM »

I couldn't find a better category to put this in, so I guess it goes here in miscellaneous projects. This tree is woodburnt. I colored it in with oil pencils, and then erased it so it would be more of a hue instead of bright colors (not that you can really tell, but I can). I wasn't going to add the color when I started, but I am really glad I did. I think it really adds something to the piece.
Notice it says 2009 at the bottom. My husband said it should say 2007-2009. Yes, I have been working on this off and on for quite some time. I would get it out and work on it up to the point where I was almost certifiably insane from the ridiculous amount detail, and then I would put it away for a few months to recuperate until I remembered it. Then I would pull it out again. This is very detailed. All of the tiny individual leaflets took forever. In fact, I think the very middle of the roots is too detailed. You have to get up really close to tell what it is. Despite that, I think it turned out great. This is my best woodburnt piece so far. I am very proud of it. It looks better in real life, and you can really see the texture of the bark. My husband said "Wow! It looks like real wood. Well it is wood, but you know what I mean, the trunk look very realistic." It may not look as good as it does in real life, But the picture is the best I could get. I hope you all like it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009 07:40:14 AM »

This is gorgeous! You did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

freegrrl2000

Every time I blink I have a tiny dream....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 07:48:46 AM »

This is the mst beautiful and amazing thing I have EVER seen!!!!!
The time it took was well worth it!
PS- I'm an april too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now when you're finished say, "MY, what a lovely tea party!"
craftyredhead

My mutts Wig n Stink!!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 08:00:59 AM »

I LOVE it- beautiful, and the hues are so subtle   and the celtic knotwork is an extra layer of interest as well
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009 08:11:54 AM »

That is a gorgeous piece of artwork. I can't even imagine the time it took to create!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
ingysoup
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009 08:16:54 AM »

I am blown away - having done a bit of woodburning myself.  Just gorgeous.  Did you use a pattern or just made it up yourself?  What are the dimensions of the piece?   Gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kalanit
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009 08:20:19 AM »

absolutely amazing. The light hue from the oil pencils really brings it to life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poe poe
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009 08:27:18 AM »

I am blown away - having done a bit of woodburning myself.  Just gorgeous.  Did you use a pattern or just made it up yourself?  What are the dimensions of the piece?   Gorgeous.

Thanks. It's 8 1/2" x 11", about the size of a piece of paper. I didn't sand the wood very well, because when I origionally started the piece, I didn't think it would turn into such a deatailed project. I thought I would just kinda doodle it out, but then it grew into this monster that took forever. I just couldn't stop myself.
I should have said before that I didn't make this up myself. I knew what I wanted to burn, and looked online for a similar picture. I changed it a little, but not too much. I don't remember where I found the picture. That was almost two years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.
-Aldo Leoplod-
phoenixfiredesigns
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009 08:29:30 AM »

Holy crap. That's impressive. VERY amazingly beautiful work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
myklia
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009 09:00:36 AM »

Oh my that is stunning!!!  I have recently started to play around with wood burning, so I can only begin to imagine what it took to create that.  Fantastic job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Nail Tutorial With Celeb Manicurist Kimmie Kyees
DIY Candy Cane Bath Salts
3 Holiday Updos That Looks Amazing on Everyone
Valerie Gets a Makeover for Date Night
Kyan Douglas Gives One Viewer a Sexy New Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...