A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chocolate covered peeps!  (Read 16689 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , chocolate , peeps  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

notyourstar
« on: March 19, 2005 12:31:37 PM »

I bought a pack of two chocolate covered peeps at a local bakery for $4.00. They were amazing, and amazingly expensive, so I figured I could make my own. Here's a rough recipe with pictures for this yum yum snack/treat/gift.

Chocolate Covered Peeps
Ingredients + Materials:
semi-sweet chocolate chips
peeps (bunnies or chicks or any kind will do, i used bunnies)
double boiler
wax paper
medium whisk

Before you get started:
-put the peeps in the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour to harden
-lay wax paper out on cookie sheets

Directions:
1. Using the double boiler, melt the chocolate chips over simmering, not boiling, water.

2. Keep stirring until all the chocolate chips are melted and the chocolate is smooth, without any chunks. Add more chocolate chips if needed.

3. Turn down the chocolate to medium heat, occasionally stirring. Remove the Peeps from the freezer and separate them.

4. Dip each peep into the the melted chocolate.

note: don't keep Peep over the chocolate for too long, or it will begin to melt.

5. Let the excess chocolate drip off, or use a spatula to remove any extra chocolate.

6. Lay the peep flat on wax paper. Continue steps 4 & 5 until all peeps are covered.

7. Let the Peeps cool off, then put them in the refrigerator to harden for a few hours.

And you're done! This recipe is great for gifts or just an afternoon snack. They turn out really pretty. You can also use a toothpick to dip them in the chocolate, and then poke the toothpick into a styrofoam wedge to let them cool that way. Either way, enjoy your peeps!!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011 09:05:29 AM by Troublet - Reason: edited dead pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005 12:45:58 PM »

Oh wow... I am chocolate covering crazy fool!  I do bananas, strawberries, raisins, all sorts.  They also have (this is totally lazy...but good if ya don't have a double boiler) little tubs of ready to melt chocolate in the produce section of our local grocery store (Kroger).  You just pop the little container in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring inbetween...until it's all melted.  Then dunk away!  I am buying Peeps tonight, I can't wait to do this! 

Thanks for the idea ...notyourstar!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
notyourstar
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005 12:58:01 PM »

We have a Kroger by me and that microwave chocolate is a fantastic idea! It would have saved me some time, even though it only took me about a half an hour to do these peeps with melting my own chocolate! Thank you, enjoy, and be sure to let us know how yours turn out!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005 01:02:48 PM »

I couldn't remember the brand name before...so I searched it out.. it's good old Baker's. 
Here's what the packaging looks like... http://www.kraftfoods.com/bakerschocolate/bakers_dipping_choc.html

I know Walmart carries one other brand, but I can't think of the name of that one.  Baker's is cheaper.. I can never find it in the baking aisle though... only near the strawberries Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eoz
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005 08:45:48 PM »

You can melt regular choc chips/melts in the microwave, too. You just need to remember that they'll keep their shape, so you need to stir regularly, 'cos otherwise they're going to look totally un-melted even when they are. I haven't melted chocolate over the stove for ages. (And the last time I did, I didn't use a double-boiler, but don't tell anyone  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Q. What do you do with a dead chemist?
A. Barium.
betty666
u little rippaa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005 10:39:43 PM »

oooo this sounds dumb but whats a peep?

like they looked like marshmallows but i dunno

they were v cute tho!

i dont think we call anything but people peeps in australia.. if we do then i live under a rock

they look yummy tho
THIS ROCKS   Logged

proud of my life, and the things that i have done
proud of myself, and the loner i've become
you're free to whine, it will not get you far
i do just fine, my car and my guitar
-Say Anything
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005 08:47:17 AM »

Betty666...they are marshmallows...but funky shaped, sugary goodness.  LOL.  I guess they have blank ones for Easter decorating this year, as well... I am so outta the loop.

http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2005 08:53:41 AM »

Easter Peeps - recipes & crafts! (other seasons & holidays available...)
http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/recipes_crafts/results.jsp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

notyourstar
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2005 03:04:59 PM »

ah. peeps. they are festivly shaped marshmallows with colorful sugar coatings. i sound like an advertisement lmao.

you said "v yummy"!! i guessed that you were either british or austrailian, because of the "v." Cheesy hooray. have you heard of Kool-Aid? (off topic, but someone else I met from austrailia was wondering what Kool-Aid is & i couldnt believe it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WildIrishRose

So then I says to Mabel, I says...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2005 02:04:20 PM »

Genius, pure genius.  And perfectly timed, too.  My ma just gave me a few little Easter treats, since I probably won't get to see her for a while--a large peanut butter filled choclate bunny [yum!] and a large box of Peeps [not so yum.].  I was a big fan of the marshmallow-ish critters when I was 7, but at 24, my sweet tooth is not what it used to be [and I've had too many cavitites in the past few years to eat that crap guilt-free].  I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with the Peeps, since I'd hate to just toss them in the trash [just doesn't seem right since my mommy gave 'em to me]...but now I've got the perfect way to use 'em up. 
Woohoo! Chocolate Peeps, here I come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Applesauce
How to Make Turkey and Sweet Potato Hash
Simple Turkey Broth Recipe
Leftover Turkey Cobb Sandwich Recipe
How to Revamp Your Thanksgiving Leftovers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...