A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Board of Health  (Read 9327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2009 09:10:34 PM »

Hooray! I got finished - JUST under the wire!

So my resolution this year was to take better care of my health. I've got a few, um, intensive health concerns, and I'm terrible at making and keeping doctor appointments. In addition, I'm a brand-new stay-at-home dad, who needs to schedule for a 6 month old, a 10 year old, and a wife.

So, I decided to make this:

Our Board of Health!

This is the before picture. With a gratuitous helper kitty.

Started by cutting off the border from an old corkboard my father had made me.
(note: my father was the king of wood glue. If he COULD glue it, he WOULD, with nary a care whether he SHOULD glue it. This board was no exception.)

Cut off a side of a cereal box and painted it with chalkboard paint (my favourite craft supply ever.)

Made two zippered books/pouches with ziploc bags for pages (a la [a href="http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=283977.0"]zuliblu[/a]

One is for storing various medical related receipts for insurance filing and taxes.
The other will be for organizing other medical papers - references, letters, etc.

They tuck nicely in this pocket on the upper left of the Board:

I then covered an old mini-binder I was no longer using (*shudders* had to hand stitch it too -  if I had dismantled it, like I normally do when recovering, I would have lost use of the hardware I needed)

This will be my portable Book of Health. It has our doctor's numbers, our various health conditions and information, our medications (names and dosages), and also our health cards (Very important to Canadians!). Also, lovely top pocket for carrying random stuff like meds, prescriptions, etc.

A shot of the inside, with our health cards tucked neatly in there.

The Book of Health is held nicely in place by a tether, right on top of the filing pouches

On the right side of the Board is a calendar (always useful), and the blackboard, for reminders

In the middle and lower left of the Board is our doctor's cards. Note the amount. I've been collecting them for awhile, but keep losing them. In place of the ones I'm missing are some misprinted business cards of mine, backwards. They're holding down the fort until the real deal shows up.

I didn't blur these out 'cause I can't read 'em. I hope no one does anything crazy if they can read them.

So, yay! I now have all our medical information in one spot, it's right by the computer so I can't 'forget' to call (plus the numbers are, like, RIGHT THERE), plus I can grab the Book on my way out the door and never again sit with one of my kids at the pediatrician's trying desperately to remember at what age they had had a kidney infection.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009 07:45:59 AM by degenecle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
OxMonkey
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009 09:20:05 PM »

I need one of those!  And I'm loving that fabric...too cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009 11:03:42 PM »

This is a great idea, especially to keep track of all those cards.  I love the fabric too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nessie

I'm a seamonster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009 05:04:05 AM »

fantastic idea, amazing execution! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

typewrittenwhimsy.etsy.com
Lylanni
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009 05:34:45 AM »

Wow that's an excellent idea!  I need to make myself one of these hehe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maltrick
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009 06:48:17 AM »

Yay for gratuitous helper kitty. There are so many shots of cats on half-finished work on Craftster; they'd make a good coffee table book.

Well done on the board. It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
degenecle
djrk

I wanna be a professional grandma

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009 07:54:19 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments!

Yes, it really is helping already. I've made an appointment for my son's 6-month checkup, and have also called Dr. W (like I reminded myself on the chalkboard)

Lol at the fabric - I had bought this with some vague intention of making a first aid kit, but when I started this challenge, it was hijacked Smiley I'm in awe of just how far 1 metre of quilter's cotton stretched in this project.

I would buy a coffee table book with gratuitous helper kitty photos. I had put down the board, turned around for the camera, and kitty was in the shot. At least that time he wasn't ON the project, like he usually is.

There was almost a pic of a gratuitous helper baby as well, as my son kept trying to grab Daddy's fun new toy. And also refused to nap while I was crafting.

Best part of this craft: My wife loves it. She even loves it while half the house is covered in craft-related tools, scraps, and refuse. This does not happen. Ever. I'm basking in it Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009 08:01:31 AM by degenecle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
envirocraft
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009 10:05:16 AM »

This is a great idea, and as already mentioned, the fabric is too cute!  I'm glad it's worked out for your family.

P.s. I love to see projects by fellow Saskatchewanians Tongue (especially ones as awesome as this!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
purringbubbles
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009 04:07:45 PM »

i just adore it!  when i worked in a group home, each individual had their own medical binder, but i think something like this would be 800 times better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009 12:14:48 PM »

this is brilliant!    And *wave* from a fellow Saskatchewanian.... I recognized some of the cards.  No I cant read em, but even blurry symbols are recognizable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Petite Body
Best Dressed Stars: Beyonce, Jessica Chastain and Ashley Tisdale
The Art of Making Shoes in New York City With Modern Vice
Harlem Fashion Row Fall/Winter 2013: One Step Closer: The Model Casting
#MyModamobStyle Viewer Spotlight: @MademoiselleMichelle
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...