A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
507 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered Dragon Sweater (victory dance)  (Read 1238 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , embroidery , dragon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jayxwolf
« on: February 05, 2009 08:48:22 PM »

About a year ago, my boss's mother commissioned me to knit her a sweater with a picture of an Eastern-style dragon on it.  She gave me one of her books for reference and I took measurements for sizing from an existing sweater of hers that she really likes.

I agonized over this thing, redid it a few times in a few different sizes of yarn.  Originally it was going to be a dk-weight yarn with the dragon image all-intarsia, but that proved to be impractical and really....bad looking.  And it took months to knit.  I still have 2/3rds of that sweater still assembled in my to-be-frogged pile.

I took the summer off of the project and put it away for a bit.  However once it started getting cold out I started to feel the itch to finish it once and for all.  Slay the dragon as it were.

I redid the whole sweater in a worsted weight yarn, and instead of intarsia for the whole design, I made the dragon insignia using intarsia only for the base body color of the dragon, and then embroidered the rest of the dragon to give it a more lively appearance.  Originally he had all four of his legs, but it was way too crowded so I frogged those and left the two most dynamic ones.

His body is outlined in chain stitch embroidery, with most of the embellishments a variation on satin stitch or stem stitch.  (Thank you Interweave Knits-- the holiday issue had a primer on embroidered knitting that saved my rump!)

This is the first sweater I have ever needed to use my Dremel in the finishing process.  Cheesy  The eyeball is a 9mm safety eye normally used in amigurumi toys.  I had to take the stem down so it would lay more flush with the rest of the back.

I picked up and knitted a tiny swatch 4 stitches wide to house the backing of the safety eye so it wouldn't be scratchy.  (for some reason I didn't think I should get a picture of that...)

Finally, after another month of failed attempts at photography and one last editorial decision (ripping out and restarting the sleeves from scratch) I have finished it and given it to its intended recipient!   Grin

I cropped out identifying features (besides the OOAK sweater of course) but this picture has one very happy dragon owner beaming at the camera.

Apologies for the wonky color-- my camera is really fussy.  The last pic is the most color-accurate.  (Apologies also for the wall-o-text.  I'm a writer, it's what I do.)

I am really happy with this-- this is probably my favorite commission to date and I could not be happier with the result!  Smiley

~j
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NightOwl21

after all this time I finally show my true form

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009 10:51:41 PM »

that is really cool, I love dragons!  Im so glad you finished this, its so awesome!  I love the color scheme.  Very cool indeed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I now have 2 shops! Scandalous! Take a visit and enjoy Smiley

Jewelry and Wedding Accessories: http://www.somewearintyme.etsy.com

Crafts and supplies: http://www.squidooink.etsy.com

Wists: http://www.wists.com/nightowl21

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/somesquid
Huhwhat?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009 07:55:31 PM »

Wow. That is really cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011 09:36:25 PM »

That is impressive embellishing! I like it very much. I think that it would have been even better had the motif been bigger and taken up most of the front of the sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
jayxwolf
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011 10:40:47 PM »

well, considering I was constrained by both the wearability of the garment and the degree of detail desired by the recipient, it really wasn't practical to knit the image any larger than it appears here-- there's a lot of embroidery on here and embroidered knits tend to be a bit stiff.  Keeping the stiff part centered and in the same zone as a logo on a t-shirt, for example, mitigates most of that problem.  Smiley  Thanks for looking, this is an ages-old thread!  I had forgotten all about it  Embarrassed 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 5/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 2/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 1/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 4/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 6/10
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...