A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can someone please explain??  (Read 475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Skipparoonie
« on: February 05, 2009 08:01:58 PM »

I am going utterly and completely mad!!!

I am a newbie sewer and I have been working on this handbag for 4 days now - and been stuck on the same place. The lining!!!

I can't wrap my head around the instructions, and the pictures do jack squat for me.

The pattern is Butterick 4474 - handbag B for those of you playing at home. It looks similar to the Jordy bag, (I tried doing the lining that way, but the handles are more complicated - with loops holding them on and I can't pull them through because they are solid)... anyway..

The instructions say:

With right sides together, pin lining to bag, matching seams. Stitch upper edges together. Understitch lining

Can someone please translate that with VERY simple words and more details than that because I really am so new I understand very little.  Grin  I have done countless tutes online, including the Jordy bag one... and I have unpicked this blasted thing about a gazillion times and I am ruining my gorgeous fabric that DH gave me for Christmas.  Cry

Please please help me before I go completely bonkers. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009 07:17:34 AM »

OK - so first I'm going to tell you a few things that I assume are already done - if they aren't or they are done differently the direction I give may not work.

a - You have the outside of the bag finished (side seams and bottom seam).
b - You have basted/sewn the little tabs that hold the handle (with the handles in them) to the top of the bag. The raw edge of the tabs should be even with the top of the bag making the handles hang upside down for now.
c - You have the bag lining finished (side seams, bottom seam, and pockets sewn on if there are any) and you have left a hole in the middle of the bottom seam. It is easier to close up the bottom if you don't leave the whole seam open but with those handles and to do the understitching you need to leave a fairly large hole, I'd sew 1" or so, backstitch for security, skip over to the last 1" or so and sew again backstitching for security.

If these things are true what you do next is:
1 - Turn the bag itself inside-out. Have the handles and tab thingies down inside as well.
2 - Turn the lining right-side-out and place it inside the bag.
3 - Pin around the top of the bag, matching the side seams.
4 - Sew around the top of the bag.  I always sew twice - or at least back stitch over the handles (tabs in this case).
5 - Pull the lining out.  The whole thing should be inside out and looking kind of weird - like a bag on each side.
6 - Understitching - the purpose is to stitch the seam allowance to the lining so the lining will lay inside the bag nicer. It is going to be a little difficult since you are working through that 8" whole in the bottom of the bag. The Secret Pocket has an online tute with pictures that explains it better than I can in this small space. Note that she talks about "facing", "collar", and "lining" in the tute and they are all interchangable for the purpose of explaining understitching.

If the understitching is too difficult through that hole in the bottom seam you could simply turn the bag right-side-out, tuck the lining inside the bag, press the top edge very well, then neatly topstitch or edgestitch (basically topstitching close to the edge) around the top of the bag which would sew the bag and the lining together thus keeping the lining inside the bag.

PS - I'm glad I searched understitching for you because that Secret Pocket blog has some very useful technique tutorials that I had not seen before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skipparoonie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 03:04:46 AM »

I think I love you!! Grin Grin Grin Kiss

IT WORKED!!!!!  Shocked Grin Cheesy

*Skip does a ballistic dance*

Wanna see what you helped me do?

http://skipperscreativeexpressions.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009 02:06:38 PM »

That turned out great. Love the fabric and glad I could help. I didn't see it on the "completed projects" page - you should post it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Kristen Stewart Cornrows
Jessica Alba Inspired Makeup Tutorial
Red Lipstick Is An Ageless Beauty Wonder
Have We Been Washing Our Faces Wrong?
The Best Products for Contouring and Highlighting
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...