A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any of you lovely Swedes willing to give me advice?  (Read 2059 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

randimae
teh mae.

trying to find my way across the tree tops.

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2009 07:57:07 PM »

So, I'm an exchange student for next year, but I really would prefer not stick out like a sore thumb. Obviously it's impossible to predict fashion trends into the future, but I don't want to look too out of place.

So what are some of your favorite outfits/looks/brands etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tramping though the misty streams of light,
So beautiful, I stare in awe.
karin_

Swedish craftster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009 05:31:42 AM »

Oh cool! I hope you'll like it here! Smiley I doubt you'll stick out too much, unless you're like hardcore lolita or steampunk... Those trends haven't quite made it over here yet, we are a bit slow. Cheesy

Where are you from? I'm assuming the US, like most Craftsters. I would say that the biggest difference between Americans and Swedes, clothing-wise, is that Americans love their sweats more! All those huge sweatshirts and t-shirts... Smiley Oh and one thing that shocked me when I lived in the US was when I saw people wearing their PJ pants in public - you probably won't see that over here!  Wink

The largest clothing chain over here is H&M, I'll bet most swedes own something from there... Check it out here: www.hm.com
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009 05:36:56 AM by karin_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog
My wist
would love to do a personal swap/atc swap! pm me Smiley
randimae
teh mae.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 11:04:13 AM »

Oh cool! I hope you'll like it here! Smiley I doubt you'll stick out too much, unless you're like hardcore lolita or steampunk... Those trends haven't quite made it over here yet, we are a bit slow. Cheesy

Where are you from? I'm assuming the US, like most Craftsters. I would say that the biggest difference between Americans and Swedes, clothing-wise, is that Americans love their sweats more! All those huge sweatshirts and t-shirts... Smiley Oh and one thing that shocked me when I lived in the US was when I saw people wearing their PJ pants in public - you probably won't see that over here!  Wink

The largest clothing chain over here is H&M, I'll bet most swedes own something from there... Check it out here: www.hm.com

I am from the US, actually... but I can honestly say I hate wearing sweats into public unless I'm really, really sick and am just running to the pharmacy  Wink

I love H&M! My family in Norway has told me that there are HMs all over the place, which is awesome.

The thing I was concerned about was that my friends from Germany say that the way of dressing is much more edgy than it is here in the US. When I think "edgy" I tend to think more along the lines of punky or something, but I don't think that's what they meant =/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eelkje
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009 05:43:27 AM »

Hi Randimae

I moved to sweden 1,5 year ago and i was sort of shocked by the amount of time people spend on their looks here. It's strange, everyone looks bergroomed but at the same time the majority looks the same, so following the trend seems to be more important than having your individual style even if everybody is always talking about how they bought their things either 'vintage' or 'abroad'.

My reaction on all this was that at first i felt like i only had weird clothes and had no idea how people percieved me (since dresscodes DO vary from country to country!) but since one of the first things i took with me was my sewing machine i just started making my own clothes which made me happy and sort of diverted me from wondering what i should wear. Being yourself beats all the crappy hypes and trends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are stardust, we are golden,
We are billion year old carbon,
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden.
randimae
teh mae.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009 11:41:37 AM »

Hi Randimae

I moved to sweden 1,5 year ago and i was sort of shocked by the amount of time people spend on their looks here. It's strange, everyone looks bergroomed but at the same time the majority looks the same, so following the trend seems to be more important than having your individual style even if everybody is always talking about how they bought their things either 'vintage' or 'abroad'.

My reaction on all this was that at first i felt like i only had weird clothes and had no idea how people percieved me (since dresscodes DO vary from country to country!) but since one of the first things i took with me was my sewing machine i just started making my own clothes which made me happy and sort of diverted me from wondering what i should wear. Being yourself beats all the crappy hypes and trends!

Wow, so the trend following thing is alive and well there? Hm. I have one look: surfer hippie, and that's basically how I dress daily because, well... it's what I own and what I like! It'll probably be a little different from the bergroomed since I usually look pretty undone, but who knows, maybe I'll make waves Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sati
Craftsterbator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009 08:56:10 AM »

I doubt you'll stick out too much, unless you're like hardcore lolita or steampunk...
Wow, I Google'd these since I had no idea what they were.  It was quite an education!

So...

Hej hej!  I have been living in Sweden for two years now.  I am from Seattle and now living in Malm.  I don't feel like I fit in here at all mainly because I just don't look particularly Swedish.  I am very fair, and people here are really into their tans.  Swedes go crazy in the summer.  Summer is a lot shorter and colder than I am used to, and then the dark and cold comes again.

In my opinion Swedes assimilate a lot more than Americans.  This is not just a fashion thing, but a way of life.  Trends are a big deal here and people look very much alike.  Some of my Swedish friends make jokes about going to the nightclubs and then losing the girl they were flirting with because all of the girls look so similar.  I think that a lot of Swedes look very good.  I don't think of them as having a lot of really nice clothes.  Cheap H&M, vinyl bags and boots, and that sort of things are super common.  However, I think that a lot of Swedes do a good job of making their look work regardless of cost.  Brands are big too, though, with splurges for jeans, certain shoes, sunglasses, etc.

As far as sweats, I'm shocked to see young girls out in saggy, baggy, awful pants but it's not like that's the norm.  In the cold of winter, or walking the dog with the baby stroller, women (and men) look good.  They do not seem to move to the burbs and go for Walmart jeans and a Tshirt like I see in America.  Swedish women are very beautiful!

Oh, The 80's look is not going away here and includes spandex, fluorescents, fanny packs, big hair, and the whole bit.  I think it's horrendous, but nobody asked my opinion!  There are chain stores all over the country that you'll see anywhere you go.  H&M, hlns, Gina Tricot, Vero Moda, Cubus, MQ, and then Lindex, Kapp Ahl, Indiska.

There are, of course, people who look less than good.  There are people who deviate from the norms and look gothic, punk, hippy, etc.  There are all kinds, and I suggest you be yourself as well.  Being unique is a lot more interesting than being one of the sheep.  Buy or make what you love and call it good Smiley
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009 08:57:26 AM by Sati - Reason: Forgot something! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holly ~
randimae
teh mae.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009 07:08:30 AM »

I doubt you'll stick out too much, unless you're like hardcore lolita or steampunk...
Wow, I Google'd these since I had no idea what they were.  It was quite an education!

So...

Hej hej!  I have been living in Sweden for two years now.  I am from Seattle and now living in Malm.  I don't feel like I fit in here at all mainly because I just don't look particularly Swedish.  I am very fair, and people here are really into their tans.  Swedes go crazy in the summer.  Summer is a lot shorter and colder than I am used to, and then the dark and cold comes again.

In my opinion Swedes assimilate a lot more than Americans.  This is not just a fashion thing, but a way of life.  Trends are a big deal here and people look very much alike.  Some of my Swedish friends make jokes about going to the nightclubs and then losing the girl they were flirting with because all of the girls look so similar.  I think that a lot of Swedes look very good.  I don't think of them as having a lot of really nice clothes.  Cheap H&M, vinyl bags and boots, and that sort of things are super common.  However, I think that a lot of Swedes do a good job of making their look work regardless of cost.  Brands are big too, though, with splurges for jeans, certain shoes, sunglasses, etc.

As far as sweats, I'm shocked to see young girls out in saggy, baggy, awful pants but it's not like that's the norm.  In the cold of winter, or walking the dog with the baby stroller, women (and men) look good.  They do not seem to move to the burbs and go for Walmart jeans and a Tshirt like I see in America.  Swedish women are very beautiful!

Oh, The 80's look is not going away here and includes spandex, fluorescents, fanny packs, big hair, and the whole bit.  I think it's horrendous, but nobody asked my opinion!  There are chain stores all over the country that you'll see anywhere you go.  H&M, hlns, Gina Tricot, Vero Moda, Cubus, MQ, and then Lindex, Kapp Ahl, Indiska.

There are, of course, people who look less than good.  There are people who deviate from the norms and look gothic, punk, hippy, etc.  There are all kinds, and I suggest you be yourself as well.  Being unique is a lot more interesting than being one of the sheep.  Buy or make what you love and call it good Smiley

I guess my main concern is trying to blend in, for safety. Not stick out as the American kid in Sweden. Thank you for the chain store names; I'm sure that having a few local pieces will help keep away from that "American kid" look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009 04:58:47 AM »

This was very educative, I think I have to start looking at people more when I go out Cheesy I live in the capitol and people here seem to dress fairly soberly if they're not on the more fun end of the spectrum (punk, goth,etc) if you just watch the mass of people on the central station and hereabouts. Jeans, black shoes, black or gray jackets or short slim coats, and simple shirts. At least as soon as the temperature drops below 18C, which is essentially september through april. When I went to New York a few years ago in February, I found people looking generally the same, only a bit more "american" if that makes sense. What people dress like depends heavily on the kind of people you end up hanging out with.
So, are you here yet? Cheesy Have you found out whether people care what you dress like? Roll Eyes It's very different depending on where you go.

And I don't think I've seen anyone with big hair or fanny packs since I was a kid!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn about Flash Waves Hot Shoe Radio Slaves
Learn about Pocketwizard Transceiver Caddy
Learn about Custom Brackets Gimbal Rotator
How to Obtain a White Balance on the Canon EOS Cameras
How to Use Sekonic Light meters
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...