A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dog Sweater - Tutorial / Pattern on Page 4 ♥  (Read 15850 times)
Tags for this thread: dog_sweater , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DIY Sara

"just do-it-yourself Sara"

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2009 06:32:16 PM »

I finished this sweater just in time for the real winter to begin... At the start of January. Poor Iggy Pup doesn't like to be cold (just like me) so what better way to stay warm and snuggly?

I made it up as I went along... not too shabby, eh?

Comments and criticism are always welcome, this site has really motivated and inspired me - so much talent!

Iggys Sweater my first attempt at dog clothes without a pattern.

**Disclaimer - I have never written a crochet tutorial before and did not keep any type of notes for Iggys Sweater. Please keep this is in mind. I frogged quite a lot of stitches to get this sweater exactly how I wanted it to fit Iggy Pup. Please dont get discouraged and keep that puppy handy for fittings!

My fathers friend is a foster home for CRUSA and just got Paris who is in need of some winter warmth. I am crocheting a sweater for her using this method. Find out more about Paris here

I used Red Heart in Earth and Sky for Iggy and Pink Camo for Paris.

First off - the collar.
The collar is very simple. Chain the desired height of the collar. I chained so it was approximately three inches long.
Hdc (half double crochet) in each chain across.
Chain 2 or 3 for turning chain. (Iggys sweater was done with 2, the Paris sweater is done with 3 for a more frilly scalloped appearance).
Hdc in the back loop only.
Chain 2 or 3 for turning chain.
Hdc in between the stitches.
Keep repeating this until the collar is long enough to fit comfortably around the dogs neck.

Now resist the urge to stitch up the collar into a circle. I think it makes fittings much easier Smiley

Now onto the body.

Attach the yarn at a corner (I simply decided which edge was the best and connected it to the other one).
Sc (single crochet) in each stitch around.
When you get to opposite corner of the collar keep going.
You could use stitch markers if you were concerned with being precise but I didnt for Iggys sweater.

The sweater is going to start taking shape Smiley You are creating the shoulder and upper chest areas.

Fit the dog and stop when you get to the top of the front legs.

Crochet the chest piece separately from the back. I just marked where Iggys legs were with twist ties and just went back and forth until there was ample room for a leg hole.

Next crochet the back piece. You can judge how your dogs leg holes should be shaped. (Many dog sweaters in stores simply have a slit) Crochet the back piece until its long enough to reach just behind the front leg.

Sc from the back piece into the chest piece. (They should be approximately the same length so connecting them is easy-cheesy).

Continue Sc. This will form the belly of the sweater.

Fittings are important during this stage. Boy dogs will need you to be more precise in where you end the round and round scing.

When the belly is long enough, start scing back and forth using 1 turning chain.
In order to shape the end of the sweater, I dcd a few times in each row.

Continue until the sweater is as long as desired.

Now the sleeves!
I was not concerned with tapering the sleeves. I thought they were pretty adorable straight.

Attach the yarn to a corner of the arm slit.
Sc in each stitch around and keep going. (Again feel free to use stitch markers but know Iggys was done without em)
Make the sleeves as long as desired.
Repeat for the other sleeve.

Optional:
Finishing on Iggys sweater - I did the crab stitch on the cuff of each sleeve and on the bottom of the sweater. It added a nice finished look.

Finally, stitch up the collar, weave in your ends and tell your pampered pet that the masterpiece is ready! Shocked )

Variations:
♥ Stripes - thick or thin they will add some style and interest.
♥ Crocheting for a diva dog? how about some ripples or even a cute ruffles on the sleeves and butt end.
♥ Embellish - add some buttons or even some crochet flowers.
♥ Use a different stitch than the Sc hdc or dc will create more open airy sweater.

Please feel free to ask questions or offer comments, criticisms, etc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009 12:41:34 PM by batgirl - Reason: to add pattern to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quinkes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009 06:44:35 PM »

He looks both cozy and very handsome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
how_german
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009 06:46:51 PM »

Terribly cute! Great job on the sweater and Iggy is a handsome guy. I'm a fellow Boston Terrier lover...

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009 06:47:18 PM »

So freaking adorable. I love dogs with big eyes and mushy noses. That is why I have a japanese chin! Plus little dogs look so cute in sweaters. You did a great job on that sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
MissAshley1
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009 06:48:25 PM »

Did you happen to write up a pattern? I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a pattern like that... and in crochet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whisp3rd
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009 06:53:39 PM »

Good god do I love bostons and it the great sweater makes it all the better
THIS ROCKS   Logged

charlotte sometimes
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009 07:07:48 PM »

Quite handsome--
AND practical!

Oh, and I must mention: Boston Terriers are the best. Ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeannimal
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009 08:33:25 PM »

WOW that first picture is adorable. and i love the name iggy pup! that's such a great name!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_swiss_miss_
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009 12:04:58 AM »

I'm a fan of Boston Terriers as well. This is my dog, Stamps. She's half Beagle, half Boston Terrier.

That sweater is adorable! I'm still looking for an appropriate pattern for my dog's sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Happy Howl-idays

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009 05:44:35 AM »

Awwww thats just too cute with him and his little sweater.  It looks like a perfect fit for him.  Years ago I had some friends who had a boston terrier.  And what a wonderful dog it was.  Hmmmmm, memories. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone tells you that your putting too much peanut butter on your bread, stop talking to them.  You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Miso Salmon With Sweet Pea Sauce Recipe
Authentic Goan Prawn Curry Recipe
Making Indian Kerala Masala Spice
How to Make an Indian Chapati Bread
Asian Twist on Gourmet Recipe For Steak and Fries
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...