A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to sewing: How to use fabric for sides of placemat purse?  (Read 422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katbaggins
Knitting Knewbie

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2009 04:19:54 PM »

I'm a knitter, not a sewer, so I apologize for any stupid questions in this post!

I recently received a few sewing magazine (cannot for the life of me remember the name of it!) that had an idea in for making a purse out of a wooden (slat) placemat, with a cloth napkin as the liner. I bought my materials, and plan on turning it into a triangle-style purse (not sure of terminology here - I want to fold the placemat in half length-wise but give it a flat bottom, meaning from the side it will look like a triangular tube).  Then my problem becomes how to do the sides - I want to sew the napkin/liner into place in such a way that .... I can't explain it Smiley See the pink fabric here?: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_6&listing_id=19518581&ga_search_query=placemat+purse&ga_search_type=tag_title I want to do that, but I don't know how to do it. Should I just sew it into place and hope for the best, or is there a proper way to fold it so that it hangs right, etc?

Does anyone have any advice, or know of a tutorial I should read? I know I should totally just take a sewing class, but I really want to make this purse now. Thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog:
http://woolinsunshine.blogspot.com/
elijor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009 07:30:34 AM »

The tute for the Jordy Bag should work. You would just follow the directions for the "lining" (step 3 - 5). The you would finish the top edges with a narrow hem.

Personally I would probably make two "linings" then follow steps 8 - 12 to put them together. This would insure you have no raw edges to fray and what not.

If your wooden slats require a specific width on the bottom (if they are tile shaped the will only bend at certain spots) you will have to play around with the size of the square you cut out of the bottom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katbaggins
Knitting Knewbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009 10:34:08 AM »

Wow that's the perfect tutorial - thanks so much elijor!

Now I know what I'm doing this weekend! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitting blog:
http://woolinsunshine.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Vivid Image
How to Get a Strong Foreground Image
How to Photograph a Fast Car in Motion
How to Set the White Balance Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set the Timer Function Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...