A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 307,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
384 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer clothing panic  (Read 2418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dollbecky
ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 04, 2009 04:57:12 PM »

Summer is looming large in my mind as the days get warmer
Anyone got some good quick pattern/clothing ideas to share as I try
to cope with summer will having some style (mumus are not pretty)
so far Im going for skirts and peasant blouses 
Anyone got more idea ? links to their esty stores ? pattern suggestions ? a classic princess line shell pattern?
I survived last summer in shorts and tank tops ...not at all my style  but it was short noticed (I had no idea how hot LA was then) this year I want to be pretty and struggling in the heat ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Syllisjehane
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009 01:20:05 PM »

I live in sundresses which I make from a very simple jumper pattern (drop waist, gathered skirt, no darts or princess seams on the bodice).  If you have a well-defined waist, you can play with the side seams a bit to get a more nipped-in look-- but the whole point of having an unstructured bodice is to get plenty of airflow.  Mine are just big enough that I could fit a lightweight tee under if I liked. And I make them well below knee length so I can sit cross-legged, but you can do whatever's comfortable. Oh, and I usually pleat them into a more flattering arrangement than a simple gather-- strategic pleating helps with the lumps and bumps.

Needless to say, make 'em out of cotton-- I had the most luck with quilting-weight batiks, since those're fairly crisp and easy to sew. Ignore any of the instructions regarding facings, and just use prefab seam tape to finish off the raw edges.  I don't use a pattern for the skirt-- just a couple of rectangles of fabric, with the selvage either at the hem (super lazy) or at the waistline to save time on finishing those pesky edges.

If you want to make peasant blouses, go for lightweight linen-- it's wonderfully cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009 07:24:37 AM »

I'm digging the whole skirts and tees this summer, myself.  However, I also have a few choice Simplicity and McCall's patterns I'm going to make up, for summer dresses, and I want to make at least one pair of loose, draw-string pants out of rayon challis, for layering with skirts (because I'm weird like that), and for bumming around the yard.  I am so not a shorts kind of girl.  I also foresee at least one apron top in my future.  I plan on using interfacing and darts to provide a little more support up top.

The dress that I practically lived in this past summer was made using Lamby's gothic lolita dress tutorial (I just left off the extra stuff--ruffle, extra straps).  It was incredibly easy, and I made it out of a knit, so no zipper, no fussy fitting.  It's sort of like a very simplified princess seamed dress.  It also allows for a wide variation of tweaks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
tonistagg
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 10:47:42 AM »

Glad to see this post, as I have been thinking alot about a summer wardrobe myself.  I have been gathering patterns and material over the past couple of weeks.  I'm mainly looking at simple skirts (I tend to like striaght skirts) and either roomy blouses or light weight jackets that I will wear a tank top under.  I work with kids so I've been looking at colorful, lightweight cottons.  Some of the patterns I have selected are:  Burda 8627
        Simplicity 4552 and 3757
        Butterick B0468
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way."     Mark Twain     

WISTS - http://www.wists.com/punkygirl
ETSY FAVORITES - http://www.etsy.com/people/tonistagg/favorites
Tracyarts
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 07:42:19 PM »

Skirts and peasant blouses or some combination with the two are pretty much my staple summer wardrobe. 

I love to wear cotton eyelet peasant blouses.  Those teeny little eyelet holes do indeed help keep me cooler when the heat and humidity are sky high.  If not eyelet, then some other lighter weight cotton fabric like gauze or thinner muslin. I use a very simple pattern that I have modified over the years.  At this point, the original tissue paper pattern is long gone and I just have a permanent pattern I made from tightly woven cheapie fabric that doesn't unravel. It's only two pieces.  Sleeve and body.  I'll change up the sleeve length, maybe make the front from two pieces so I can have a split at the front neckline, use a pretty ribbon or bias tape made from some other fabric as a casing on the right side for drawstring or elastic.

And for skirts, same thing.  I have a very basic 4 gore long flared skirt pattern that I modified for size and length many years ago.  It's one piece.  I just cut four, and add a waistband casing for elastic.  I can't even remember what commercial pattern I used to get that one but I think it was based on an evening skirt of all things.  I make skirts out of whatever print cotton I find that catches my eye (usually something crazy and fun) and I wear them with tee shirts, tank tops or camisoles and can layer over the tank/cami I want to cover up a little more.  Even though they're usually long, they are really comfortable in hot weather. 

I was actually looking through my fabric stash last night to see what I had and figure out what I can make. 

Tracy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009 02:59:03 PM »

I like the Holyclothing style very much, might try and make a similar skirt this summer.  They're very comfy.  Nevertheless, for walking around on hot summer days I prefer trousers.  I'm thinking of wide, straight, airy trousers in light materials, maybe a thin cotton jersey.  And with a pretty top they are perfect for an elegant evening!
I'm not very concerned with the tops, since honestly, we haven't had a proper summer in the UK for two years in a row now.  If, as they say, next summer allows for sleeveless t-shirts again, I'll go for something long.  I like my bum covered with the skirts of a blouse, I think the style flatters me (provided the garment has shape and is not a sack of potatoes).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
PixieSkull
Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009 12:51:38 PM »

I'm so happy I found a knit tank with a shelf bra in it. Granted, the top doesn't cover my chest like I'd like but it got me to thinking about dresses and tops this summer. To reduce my dependence on bras that don't fit very well and/or are very uncomfortable, I'm going to add shelf bras to quite a few basic tops for the summer. Using a sloper could help create properly darted shelf bras that can be the lining of the dress/top bodice.

Wrap pants and wrap skirts in gauze or loosely-woven natural fabrics are a must, too. Fancy tops in lightweight fabrics with nice neckline or armhole details. Fitted t-shirts reconed into cuteness for a casual day look.

And give me apron tops this year! I can't wait to do colorful apron tops with shelf bras and breezy wrap pants. The snow is melting (for the third time in the midwest) and I'm getting anxious to dress light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
bananabanana
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009 04:34:58 PM »

Dollbecky, I really like the pink patchwork skirt in your avatar. Why don't you make a few more like that?
Looks really sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laura_J
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009 06:29:09 AM »

This blog site features some very pretty dresses and explains how to draft them yourself.
http://wkdesigner.wordpress.com/
I'm particularly interested in Ruched Empire Dress, but in ballet length rather than mini length (no one needs to see my knees).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: Painted Background
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide 2016: The Roaming Gnome
@Home This Weekend: Welcoming Door Decor

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...