A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute ruched cardigan (super easy to make!) Temporary tute up (pic heavy)  (Read 14266 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

like_cairo
« on: February 04, 2009 03:36:25 PM »

I made this quite a while ago but I think that it is cute and it's so easy to make--I thought maybe it would inspire some crafting. It's based on a cardigan from Anthropologie from a year (a couple years?) back. I remember it being called the Mountain Cardi, or something. But it looked like a simple recon and I didn't really feel like dishing out the dough anthro felt it was due. So here it is!

I think it looks very sweet, and it frames the bust veeerrry nicely, if I do say so myself.

If anyone is interested in how to make it, just let me know! It only takes, like, twenty minutes to make. Awesome!

Okay, so, I got so excited that people wanted to know how to make this (you know how dogs get really excited that new people are here and they kind of pee a little? yeah) I started making the tute right away instead of in the morning. And in doing so, I made a couple of errors. I will attempt to steer you away from the errors I made, and maybe I'll put up a correct tute later on.

Okay, materials needed!

A shirt, scissors, and ribbon (and sewing machine or deft fingers). A thicker sort of ribbon would be best, I think. Now, the shirt. If you have a super baggy shirt, you will need to downsize it a bit. I'll find a tutorial for downsizing shirts and edit this post later. The best sort of shirt to use would be one (longsleeved or short sleeved, your preference) that fits you but is not glued to your waist. A boxy kind of shirt would be perfect. Make sure, also, that the shirt is relatively light-weight. I used very light weight jersey knit. A very thin sweaterknit should work too.

Mistake number two was that I cut the shirt wrong. Here's the original and my goofed up one.

I cut waaay too much out of the second one. The shirt was too small to begin with (that was mistake number one), and this just made things worse. So... don't do that! You should cut your shirt like this:

BUT NOTICE! I used the wrong kind of shirt for the shrug here too (much too tight!), I just used it to show the correct cut. To cut your shirt, start up the middle and gently curving go all the way around the collar. Okay, going back to my original tute photos.

Step two: turn the raw edge under and pin, about 3/4 of an inch in all the way around.

Step 3: sew along the edge of the folded edge, so there's room for the ribbon. I recommend using just a regular machine with a good ole straight stitch. There's really not much need for stretch, as it's just going to get bunched up anyway. If you're going to serge it, then you will stitch where I've got my fingers pinched (by folding it over the other way):

It might not ruffle as nicely if you serge it, but I haven't tried it so I can't be sure. After it's all sewn, you'll have something like this:

Don't get stressed if the knit got a little distorted here and there. No one will be any wiser after it's all bunched up.

Next, bust out the ribbon!

To get it through the shirt, I taped it to a knitting needle and fed it through. That made it pretty easy. But if that won't work for you you can still use a big needle.

Once it's through, cut it off however long you want. If you want the size of the bow I have on my shrug, just cut it off an inch extra on each side. Tie some knots in the ends to keep them from wiggling back in.

After that, put the shirt on and pull it up tight to your desired height. Tada! Ruched shrug! Easy peasy. Except for me, I guess. Here's mine, if you want to see what yours should not look like when you're done

D:!

If you're feeling brave (and are a night owl!) feel free to try it now, but I'm pretty sure Ill be attempting this in the morning when I'm fresh as a daisy. I'll take new pics then, too.

Sorry for the pic overload, I tried to size down any ones that weren't vital.

If you do attempt this, I would love love love to see yours! Feel free to post it here. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 09:12:42 PM by like_cairo - Reason: Tute! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiell
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009 03:39:22 PM »

Cute! I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creatively_clumsy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 03:40:49 PM »

Beautiful!  I would love to know how this was made Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greyskybutterfly
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009 03:52:17 PM »

I definitely need to own one. tute please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dollbecky
ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009 03:56:30 PM »

Wow
I love that ...Id love a tut too...I really want to make plus sized version
###screw Anthropologie and their tiny tiny sizes and huge price tags###
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suitcase2space
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009 03:59:13 PM »

so cute!!! I'd also really love a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
ginadaniels
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009 04:09:13 PM »

I'd definitely like to know how this was made too! I have a couple long sleeve shirt that are just screaming for this opportunity. Tongue
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 04:09:45 PM by ginadaniels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success is the art of being able to make money doing what you love.
Sinamint
Sweet... yet bahd! Oooh yeah!

A treat to tempt you!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009 04:21:28 PM »

Oooh that's super cute and sweet looking! What kind of material did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009 05:48:33 PM »

I have a boxy old cardigan that is dying to be made into something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
like_cairo
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009 06:14:31 PM »

Oooh that's super cute and sweet looking! What kind of material did you use?

Thank you! It started out as just a long sleeved tee--it was a very thin jersey knit, so that's why it ruches and drapes so nicely, I think.

I'll try my best to get a tut up tomorrow morning or shortly after!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 06:17:14 PM by like_cairo - Reason: spelling D: » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cute_anarchy
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009 06:16:23 PM »

That is really cute - and looks like it'd be very flattering on!  You made it look so polished and professional too!  I'd also love instructions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
thetheLizard
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009 06:22:38 PM »

ooh la la
tute it up plz!

: D very cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Breathless, we flung us on the windy hill, laughed in the sun, and kissed the lovely grass.
--Rupert Brooke
vikingmom
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009 06:42:55 PM »

I would love to know how to make one. its ultra cute. please send a tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog    http://purplepockets.blogspot.com/
my etsy    http://www.etsy.com/shop/JordyBelle
My wists   http://www.wists.com/vikingmom

I would totally love to do a personal swap
amiemoo
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009 07:06:03 PM »

That is just awesome!  I'd love a tute, as soon as I saw it I thought to myself 'I need that in green'.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Le Mieux
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009 03:21:27 AM »

thanks so much for the tute!! and im SO glad im not the only one that gets over-excited about starting a project, only to let the excited-hands make mistakes...i have so many wronged projects that have ended up in my scraps bin  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
iamblessed
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009 06:06:16 AM »

Oh this is SO great!  I can't wait to make one (or 5!)  Thanks! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaisyAlly
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009 06:33:05 AM »

Ooohhh! Sweet! Now Im just trying to figure out what shirt I can hack up lol Thanks for the tut, it's awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009 06:46:09 AM »

Oh, you have NO idea what a lifesaver this is!!!!  Three days before V-day is our anniversary (of our first date, not our wedding - we celebrate both!) and i have this stunning dress but it needs something to go over it and everything I can find covers up too much of the dress and I was getting all forlorn cause i have a sewing machine but dont really know how to so and was thinking I was gonna just have to wear a different dress, but this is SO much what I wanted and your super-easy tute makes it feasible, even for me!!!  I may have questions while Im actually doing it, but otherwise it looks like I CAN do it!!

Thanks so much and well done!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
Dolly Mixx
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009 06:59:24 AM »

Aww wow you made this look super easy, and it looks so lovely. I have a few old tees i never wear, and am definately going to try this, even if it does go wrong, it's still not a waste!

Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creatively_clumsy
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009 08:38:09 AM »

Thank you for sharing!!!  Can't wait to try this Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MightyMouse
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009 10:01:27 AM »

Awesome, I'm so going to buy some t-shirts to make this tomorrow! Thanks a lot for the tutorial! I'm going to link to you on my blog!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009 11:56:41 AM »

You may not have thought of this, but your too small version in the blue reminds me of the weskit/vest-like thing that they wear around here as part of a German folk costume (it's Wurstfest time every year in this German heritage community)...generally there's a white frilly blouse underneath it and a colorful dirndl skirt, but the weskit thingie fits just around the bosom just like that, only it's very fitted, and usually made out of some kind of embroidered wool. This would be a lot more forgiving in the changes-sizes-often population.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AirBorn04
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009 12:56:51 PM »

Not gonna lie, i was sad i didn't have a shirt i could mangle into something beautiful, and ran to the thrift shop only to return empty handed.  i'll be watching for a shirt so i can make one too, it's SO cute!  that and i want to see if it frames my bust nicely too ha ha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009 03:37:25 PM »

your tute was great! I made one today (in lieu of homework) and it turned out great! you weren't lying either, it took about 20 minutes or less. I used a simple brown long-sleeved tee that happened to be slightly too short to be comfortable, but now I can wear it! I will post pictures later when I don't look like ass and can actually take some pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gooberts

Gooberts.etsy.com

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009 05:19:28 PM »

thank you so much for the rockin tut!!!!!! My sweaters are trembling in fear....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Because I said sew!!

WATCH OUT PROJECT RUNWAY...I'm coming to getcha...
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009 05:50:00 PM »

i love the idea! thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rauni
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009 06:46:58 PM »

Bookmarked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
jesthestar
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009 07:24:12 PM »

Wow that is awesome! I am going to have to try it!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
like_cairo
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009 07:36:08 PM »

Thank you everyone for the very kind feedback! Thank you pointing out the possibilities of my failed attempt, McJulie-O. I feel a little better about screwing up! And I would love to see your version, cherryblossom!

I'm glad this project was inspiring! I am currently attempting to make the shrug with a thin sweaterknit and I will share how it turns out. I'm also going to try a buttondown shirt because I think that would work too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancecrafter

the snack that smiles back...!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009 09:25:33 PM »

This is super cute! I wanna make one!! Tongue  I find myself once again wishing some of the old shirts I've got were too big instead of too small! *sigh* maybe there's one buried in my pile somewhere that'll work...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StonesWifey
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009 09:32:45 PM »

Okay, so, I got so excited that people wanted to know how to make this (you know how dogs get really excited that new people are here and they kind of pee a little? yeah

First off..That made me laugh so hard I almost peed a little. that's what happens after babies. ha ha

Secondly. That is soo cute and so super simple. I will have to make one. I'll make it for my daughter because those things only accentuate how big my stomach is. ha ha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellegal22
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009 12:30:58 PM »

this looks so so pretty!! i am definitely going to make this. and the tutorial is great-thanks for putting it up!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deirdre
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009 12:40:24 PM »

OMG I look for this kind of sweater EVERY time I go shopping, and here it is -- the easiest thing in the world to make.  Thank you so much!  This is shrug + cardigan = exactly what I need at work where they have the A/C on RIGHT NOW (February 6 much?)

I'm going to make on this weekend and post pics.

Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

horsygirl321
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009 09:14:31 AM »

###screw Anthropologie and their tiny tiny sizes and huge price tags###

yup, i agree! thank you so much for this tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        You like my designs? Wow, thanks!
      You can check out the patterns here:         
           http://oregonstream.etsy.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scarfish
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009 12:17:35 PM »

that is pretty much genius.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LagamorphLounge
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009 06:01:54 PM »

Really cute, however, with my big pregnant girl boobs, I'm afraid any shirt would be too small and I would end up looking like the beer servers in liederhosen at octoberfest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
like_cairo
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009 09:04:51 PM »

Really cute, however, with my big pregnant girl boobs, I'm afraid any shirt would be too small and I would end up looking like the beer servers in liederhosen at octoberfest.

Are curvacious ladies in liederhosen supposed to be unattractive? Wink I think you'd look lovely! It would go right around a tummy bump, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2009 11:01:12 AM »

im not preggers, but ive just got the big boobs all by themselves and im totally making it (gotta do the sewing tonight) and will be wearing it this weekend - my baby loves anything that draws attention to them and i figure with black over a cream and black dress, it wont be TOO attention grabbing!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009 11:01:45 AM by rockmygypsysoul » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
ellegal22
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2009 05:14:11 PM »

i ended up making this today, and thanks to your tutorial, it was a success!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Susanna Kearsley on The Royal York
Loudmouth by Craig Carton
The Roberts Court by Marcia Coyle
Author Patricia Beard Discusses a Certain Summer
The Great Lollipop Caper
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...