A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,096
Currently Running With Scissors:
327 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cute ruched cardigan (super easy to make!) Temporary tute up (pic heavy)  (Read 13986 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

like_cairo
« on: February 04, 2009 03:36:25 PM »

I made this quite a while ago but I think that it is cute and it's so easy to make--I thought maybe it would inspire some crafting. It's based on a cardigan from Anthropologie from a year (a couple years?) back. I remember it being called the Mountain Cardi, or something. But it looked like a simple recon and I didn't really feel like dishing out the dough anthro felt it was due. So here it is!

I think it looks very sweet, and it frames the bust veeerrry nicely, if I do say so myself.

If anyone is interested in how to make it, just let me know! It only takes, like, twenty minutes to make. Awesome!

Okay, so, I got so excited that people wanted to know how to make this (you know how dogs get really excited that new people are here and they kind of pee a little? yeah) I started making the tute right away instead of in the morning. And in doing so, I made a couple of errors. I will attempt to steer you away from the errors I made, and maybe I'll put up a correct tute later on.

Okay, materials needed!

A shirt, scissors, and ribbon (and sewing machine or deft fingers). A thicker sort of ribbon would be best, I think. Now, the shirt. If you have a super baggy shirt, you will need to downsize it a bit. I'll find a tutorial for downsizing shirts and edit this post later. The best sort of shirt to use would be one (longsleeved or short sleeved, your preference) that fits you but is not glued to your waist. A boxy kind of shirt would be perfect. Make sure, also, that the shirt is relatively light-weight. I used very light weight jersey knit. A very thin sweaterknit should work too.

Mistake number two was that I cut the shirt wrong. Here's the original and my goofed up one.

I cut waaay too much out of the second one. The shirt was too small to begin with (that was mistake number one), and this just made things worse. So... don't do that! You should cut your shirt like this:

BUT NOTICE! I used the wrong kind of shirt for the shrug here too (much too tight!), I just used it to show the correct cut. To cut your shirt, start up the middle and gently curving go all the way around the collar. Okay, going back to my original tute photos.

Step two: turn the raw edge under and pin, about 3/4 of an inch in all the way around.

Step 3: sew along the edge of the folded edge, so there's room for the ribbon. I recommend using just a regular machine with a good ole straight stitch. There's really not much need for stretch, as it's just going to get bunched up anyway. If you're going to serge it, then you will stitch where I've got my fingers pinched (by folding it over the other way):

It might not ruffle as nicely if you serge it, but I haven't tried it so I can't be sure. After it's all sewn, you'll have something like this:

Don't get stressed if the knit got a little distorted here and there. No one will be any wiser after it's all bunched up.

Next, bust out the ribbon!

To get it through the shirt, I taped it to a knitting needle and fed it through. That made it pretty easy. But if that won't work for you you can still use a big needle.

Once it's through, cut it off however long you want. If you want the size of the bow I have on my shrug, just cut it off an inch extra on each side. Tie some knots in the ends to keep them from wiggling back in.

After that, put the shirt on and pull it up tight to your desired height. Tada! Ruched shrug! Easy peasy. Except for me, I guess. Here's mine, if you want to see what yours should not look like when you're done

D:!

If you're feeling brave (and are a night owl!) feel free to try it now, but I'm pretty sure Ill be attempting this in the morning when I'm fresh as a daisy. I'll take new pics then, too.

Sorry for the pic overload, I tried to size down any ones that weren't vital.

If you do attempt this, I would love love love to see yours! Feel free to post it here. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 09:12:42 PM by like_cairo - Reason: Tute! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kiell
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009 03:39:22 PM »

Cute! I really like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creatively_clumsy
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 03:40:49 PM »

Beautiful!  I would love to know how this was made Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greyskybutterfly
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009 03:52:17 PM »

I definitely need to own one. tute please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dollbecky
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

ADHD crafter, jack of all trades..master of none

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009 03:56:30 PM »

Wow
I love that ...Id love a tut too...I really want to make plus sized version
###screw Anthropologie and their tiny tiny sizes and huge price tags###
THIS ROCKS   Logged
suitcase2space
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009 03:59:13 PM »

so cute!!! I'd also really love a tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
ginadaniels
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009 04:09:13 PM »

I'd definitely like to know how this was made too! I have a couple long sleeve shirt that are just screaming for this opportunity. Tongue
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 04:09:45 PM by ginadaniels » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success is the art of being able to make money doing what you love.
Sinamint
Sweet... yet bahd! Oooh yeah!

A treat to tempt you!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009 04:21:28 PM »

Oooh that's super cute and sweet looking! What kind of material did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009 05:48:33 PM »

I have a boxy old cardigan that is dying to be made into something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
like_cairo
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009 06:14:31 PM »

Oooh that's super cute and sweet looking! What kind of material did you use?

Thank you! It started out as just a long sleeved tee--it was a very thin jersey knit, so that's why it ruches and drapes so nicely, I think.

I'll try my best to get a tut up tomorrow morning or shortly after!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 06:17:14 PM by like_cairo - Reason: spelling D: » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass or Rent Movie Review: J. Edgar
New James Bond Film Titled Skyfall
Will the Arab Spring Affect Films?
Bree Williamson on the Changing of the Film Industry
Behind the Scenes of Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...