A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Vegetarian Gene?! + Polenta Pancakes w/ Avocado  (Read 2147 times)
Tags for this thread: avocado , polenta  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sairosaurus
« on: February 04, 2009 02:48:03 PM »

I am just joking really, but the large percentage of vegetarians on both sides of my family does make me wonder! I was wondering if you guys had anything to say!

My sister, my mum and I are all vegetarians, and have been for 11 or so years now. On my mothers side, her elder sister is vege and her middle sister was (but I think this had more to do with being a raging hippy in the 70s)

On my dad's side, one of my Aunts is a vegetarian (and a great sewer too! we get along fantastic!) Her two girls insist they would like to give up meat, but she won't let them until they develop a taste for eating things like tofu, lentils, chickpeas etc.

My boyfriend is super supportive and his family, especially his mum, loves it! They only have meat 2-3 times a week.

So all in all, I've never really had any problems with 'support'.

Anyway, a recipe for you all. This is one my mum loves and I make it for her and I want to spoil her (or I need to earn brownie points). It's from "The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook" which doesn't seem to have an author, but is published by Murdoch Books, it's a great recipe book, everyone should have it!

Mexican Polenta Pancakes with Avocado

Ingredients

1/3 cup yellow polenta
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup buttermilk (i always just use milk)
2 eggs
30g (1 oz) butter, melted
vegetable oil
2/3 cup sour cream, for serving

Avocado Filling

1 large ripe avocado (you may need a little more)
8 spring onions (you probably don't need this many)
2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
1 teapsoon chilli sauce
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper

Method

1. Sift polenta, flour, baking powder salt and sugar into a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Place buttermilk, eggs and butter in a jug; beat to combine. Add to dry ingredients. Beat until liquid is incorporated and batter is free of lumps. Set aside, covered with plastic wrap, 20 mins.
2. To make avocado filling: Cut avocado in half lengthways, remove flesh and place in bowl, mash with fork. Add half spring onions. Stir in tomatoes, chilli sauce, lemon juice, salt & pepper. Mix well & chill for 20mins.
3 Brush small frying pan with oil. When hot, pour in enough batter to thinly cover base of pan. Cook over medium heat until the underside is golden. Turn pancake, & cook other side. Transfer to a plate, cover with tea-towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter. Spoon some avocado onto one half of pancake and fold other half over. Serve with sour cream sprinkled with remaining spring onions.
4. Enjoy

It may (or may not ) look like this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thehazelwood
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009 03:15:47 PM »

This looks delicious! Polenta is a favourite in my household, so I may have to bring this recipe in Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under_the_Rose
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 03:18:50 PM »

hmm my sister and i are the only veggies in my family...my dad is kinda in to it.... my mum, well i think shes getting used to it..(lol after about 12 years between the two of us)

but um NOMNOM! they look delicious!

so adding them to the list of recipes to try!

i also really love the composition of the picture as well! the plates are really pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I myself, am Heaven and Hell
Christine420
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009 03:24:27 PM »

wow looks really tasty! now i'm really hungry tho... Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009 03:33:19 PM »

I'd give you lots of brownie points for this - it looks soooooo good!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
yossarian
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009 10:42:47 PM »

Wow, these look delicious!
Will definatly need to try one day!
Yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_faery
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009 12:47:53 AM »

First off, the polenta pancakes look delicious!  Thanks for posting the recipe!

As far as the Veggie gene goes, it is possible that it's a trait or a taste that has been passed on to you through your family.  There's also something to be said about good food that is also good for you.  Good eating habits, I've found, can be contageous.  Out of my entire family, I am the only vegetarian and at first this was baffling to my family members who are far more meat than potatos kind of people.  Gradually, once they realized I wasn't starving myself by living on lettuce and carrots, they got curious and now a few of them are actually cutting down on the meat in their own diets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
InfiniteDreams
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009 09:40:31 PM »

I am bookmarking this!  Pancakes and Avocado....my favorite things  haha.

About the gene...I think I'm the only vegetarian in my family...haha. 
A couple Christmas' ago my Aunt's parents came up from the South (I live in CT, I forget where exactly they live)  but, her mother made a meat lasagna probably had 4 or 5 different kinds of meats in it.  She was so proud.  After all the food was passed around and I didn't have any lasagna on my plate, she asked me if I tried any.  I tried telling her I'm a vegetarian...but before I could finish talking, she was whispering to her husband "she's a what?"  "you mean to tell me she doesn't eat meat??" "well, how does the girl live? What does she eat?"  Luckily she didn't press the issue further, I'm not sure what I would have said to her at that point, but I think I'll always find her reaction really humorous!

People are funny.

One time I was talking to a guy who came into the store I work at, and we started talking about how I'm a vegetarian, and he asked me, "So, I don't get it.  Do you crave carrots?"
LOL
I love it.
Well....I guess in a way......I have to eat something, and meat isn't food to me....so....yeah, I guess I crave carrots sometimes?

Ok, enough of my ramble...good night!  Thanks for the recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009 03:41:22 PM »

that looks delicious.
How do you think it would be with Soymilk instead? Some recipes are funny and if you substitute it doesn't always taste good.

I doubt there is a vegetarian gene. haha...My parents freaked out more when  said I wanted to be a veggie than they did when I said I was an atheist.... NO ONE in my family is or ever was vegetarian. ha...
wow....living in the deep south can be fun sometimes.
I am upset too. My boyfriend's sister wanted to try being vegetarian for a while but her mom refused and got mad. Their mother loves me and has never had a problem with me, but it really bothers me that she wouldn't let her at least try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lorra
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009 02:15:52 PM »

Those pancakes look amazing. I'm definitely making some for my dinner one day this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Country Fried Steak
How to make Standing Rib Roast
How to make Potato Skins
How to Fry Turkey
How to make Country Southern Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...