A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i spy madness-update FINISHED WITH ONE!  (Read 842 times)
Tags for this thread: i_spy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 19, 2009 05:40:17 PM »

So, it has been so long since I started this and posted, I'll give a little update.
I have this problem that no project is ever too big.  My idea: twin size ispy quilts.
The hardest part was finding and fussy cutting all of the 1728 squares for the two quilts.  
I did a quilt as you go method for putting it all together, which also made it reversible.  My daughter's will be pink on the back.  I messed up more than I got things right, but I couldn't be more happy with the results.  For my daughter's quilt I have all of the front, batting and backing squares cut, I just have to quilt and assemble, but I couldn't wait to post pictures.  This is the biggest project I've ever done!

I'll post the finished picture at the top of this old post:  NO TWO SQUARES ARE THE SAME ON THIS QUILT!

Back:

Here are a few close ups of the squares to get an idea of the images.

Old post:
So, I had the crazy idea that I wanted to make each of my kids i spy quilts.  That in itself isn't crazy, but I decided I wanted 2 in squares, and no repeating pictures...and twin size.  I did decide that I would make big squares out of the little squares and border them to break it up a bit....so if my math is right that equals:  864 2 inch squares a quilt, 1728 squares total.  Yep, I'm crazy.
However...with lots of money spent on ebay buying up fabric, lots of nice people here sending me scraps with my swaps, and PATIENCE I got them cut.
oh, I also made a few with white fabric and fabric markers...special things I couldn't have found pictures of.

This is them sorted into baggies.
stacks of duplicates that one of each can go on each quilt
Stacks of singles to be divided between boy and girl.  
My favorite part was seeing them all organized.

Next was to sort them, per quilt.  Two shoe boxes did nicely.

Lay them out in 6x6 grid.

Two blocks sewn. So each block will be 1 sq. foot.

Now, here are my questions.  I'm a long time from needing answers...but...
1.  What color borders should I use?  Should I do all black, which is my gut.  Or blue for him and pink for her?
2.  What kind of quilting?  I haven't done any quilting, and I'll probably have someone do it.  My favorite 'look' is the stippling.  But would that distort the pictures too much?  Stitch in the ditch?  
3.  I'm trying to get all my seams to lay the same way, but I get random 'oops' ones, will this matter much?

Thanks for taking the time...please feel free to throw any suggestions you have my way.
Oh, and I've made 7 blocks so far.

UPDATE:
I've now made 20 blocks.  Here are the ones that would fit on my dinning room table to give you an idea...and a close up.

The I love you hand sign in the middle is one of the ones I painted.
Also a delightful surprise has happened.  Now everyone in the family has become involved.  The kids love helping pick out which little squares will go in the next block and they even sit down and play I spy with just the blocks. My daughter and son have both asked to help sew.  My daughter is old enough to do it by herself (with just a little help) and my son just runs the pedal.   I hope they can hold on to some of these memories!  
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009 09:53:13 AM by summertimerolls » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
bjs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009 07:06:10 PM »

What a great idea!  Maybe I'll make those for my grandkids someday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009 03:31:41 AM »

I am doing a postage stamp quilt myself right now. I did all black backing, I really liked how it looked but maybe you could back it with your childrens fav color? so they can tell which one is there quilt? as far as quilting I am doing the stipple but a large one. so it still shows off the quilt! Smiley hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009 06:24:50 PM »

Black backing would be nice.  You could also get a wood grain print and make it look like a picture frame.

Stippling would probably look really nice.  You can use a pretty variagated thread, and it would look cool with the fabric patterns.  Alternately, you could use a clear nylon so it's not visible.  If you have a bit of extra fabric, you can do a test swatch and see what you like best.

For the oops seams, I wouldn't worry about it.  If they annoy you, you can snip the seam where it went the wrong way so it lies flat when you combine it with other stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
SimplySandy
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009 09:19:31 AM »

I like the idea of blue and pink for the quilts. As for the quilting, I like the look of stippling but for these quilts, I think I would go with the in the ditch as to not take away from the I spy aspect of it.  Looks so fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009 06:39:51 PM »

I am doing a postage stamp quilt myself right now. I did all black backing, I really liked how it looked but maybe you could back it with your childrens fav color? so they can tell which one is there quilt? as far as quilting I am doing the stipple but a large one. so it still shows off the quilt! Smiley hope this helps!

A postage stamp?  Oh my.  After this I'm not sure I want to look at squares for a while!  I'm leaning towards a black border and then do the backing in a color they help me pick out. 

And to everyone who has replied.  Thanks for the info and opinions! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Working with File Types and Extensions
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Saving and Editing Document Presets
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating a New Document
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating New Layer and Workspace Shortcuts
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating and Modifying Keyboard Shortcuts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...